Torn between family/ friends and life in the sun

Hoola

The only part I agree with is think hard before coming back, that applies to any move of course.

We don't find the weather a downer at, we still do more things here. Complaining about the price of housing seems odd considering the crazy prices in Australia, we now have a bigger house on a bigger block of land than we had in Australia.

We have had fantastic service from all aspects of the NHS since being back. The only problems we have ever had over the years were when I was released from hospital after an operation with the wound still bleeding quite heavily, the answer was to put more bandages on it. The other time was when our son broke his arm, he lay on a bed in a corridor for hours before being seen and he was 6 years old, then his operation was delayed by 24 hours.

We live in the least populated are in England, a traffic jam is 3 cars and a tractor.

Its strange BM about this overcrowding thing?I read a while ago the UK is only 7% urbanised which means 93% isn't.I have driven around the UK a lot and also moved a lot,and never once lived in a densely overcrowded traffic jammy place?:laugh:I can walk miles from my place and not see a single soul the whole walk?So I am going to assume these people must live in inner city or whatever.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its strange BM about this overcrowding thing?I read a while ago the UK is only 7% urbanised which means 93% isn't.I have driven around the UK a lot and also moved a lot,and never once lived in a densely overcrowded traffic jammy place?:laugh:I can walk miles from my place and not see a single soul the whole walk?So I am going to assume these people must live in inner city or whatever.

Yes I agree, we travel all over the country with ease. Of course we come across traffic jams, the same as we did in Australia. Brisbane is a nightmare in the peak times. Not so long ago on here someone said it was impossible to travel on a motorway at 70mph because of the traffic, well I can tell you it is (theoretically) possible to travel much faster for mile after mile.

• 1 month later...

So, time has gone on, we are about to apply for citizenship.

We are actually briefly back in the UK again at the moment. Unfortunately, not a planned trip. My husband's dad died unexpectedly (at the age of 69), and we all wanted to come and say our goodbyes and be with the family at this time. We are all feeling very cheated, and desperately sad. I also have the added guilt as he was such a family man, and it would have made him so happy if we had returned to the UK while he was still alive. The weather is atrocious (wet, windy, cold, dark November!), but I am still sitting here, hugging family, watching my kids play with my cousins like they saw each other yesterday, and wondering why I live in Australia...

Right now, I just want to wrap my mum in law up in a soft blanket and take her back to Oz. And the rest of the family!

We are actually briefly back in the UK again at the moment. Unfortunately, not a planned trip. My husband's dad died unexpectedly (at the age of 69), and we all wanted to come and say our goodbyes and be with the family at this time. We are all feeling very cheated, and desperately sad. I also have the added guilt as he was such a family man, and it would have made him so happy if we had returned to the UK while he was still alive. The weather is atrocious (wet, windy, cold, dark November!), but I am still sitting here, hugging family, watching my kids play with my cousins like they saw each other yesterday, and wondering why I live in Australia...

Right now, I just want to wrap my mum in law up in a soft blanket and take her back to Oz. And the rest of the family!

So sorry to here about your father in law. I recently had to go back to the UK for my grandmas funeral so I can understand what a tough time it is. It makes it so much harder coming back to Australia when you've gone back, especially for a reason like this. You think about how it would have been different if you had been there. However there are reasons you moved and I guess you just have to decide whether those reasons are still strong enough for you to stay.

For me its not just about a tan. Its about being able to go outside and live an active lifestyle in good weather. The morning runs, the cycling to work, the walks, hikes and camping trips that aren't dampened by bad weather.

Its hard in the bad times to be away from your family but worst comes to worst, your 24 hours away. I always make sure I've got some money stashed away just in case of a last minute flight and it seems to give me some peace of mind.

I hope you and your family get through this and manage to make a decision. I always try and remember that staying here or moving back doesn't have to be forever.

I know exactly how you feel, my mam died earlier this year and I was so glad we were already back in the UK. My dad move to Scotland so i could car for him, and the other day I was driving home from his house with my son in the car, the rain was lashing down but i was warm and cozy and a song came on the radio...

Got sunshine on my shoulders, got a fist full of four leaf clovers, yeah my cup runneth over, my sky is blue

My heart was just bursting with happiness and whilst I don't really think of Australia day to day (it's just like a place I went on holiday once now) it did hit me that this time 7 years ago I'd have been counting down the days to get away from this.

I am so sorry at your families loss and glad you can be with them, even if you couldn't be back for your FIL.

I remember that 'why am I living in Australia' moment like it was yesterday - it came to me like a bolt out of the blue and within 24 hours we'd decided to move back for a year, within a few weeks we'd decided to make it permanent and never regretted it for one moment - not even when it's lashing down with rain :)

Hoola I am so sorry for your loss. Don't try to over analyse things at the moment as you are going through such a hard time - just try and get through each day. Enjoy the time with your family - don't think about what comes next - you can work that out later x

Hi Hoola, nice to meet you. I find it quite simple. Go home. Countries and travel are opportunities and can be turned into excitement and positive. In addition to that is people.

I love countries, but I love people more. Friends and family v important. I am sure you can go home and get what you need from that country equal to here. Bonus is, you are

with your people and family. Overthinking can get complicated. Get excited,and go home. People always matter first, and bonus is your returning to a pretty damn good country.

Again, just my opinion. If you disagree, that is all good. x :wubclub:

Sorry to read of the sad circumstances that brought you home. Don't think about where you want to live right now, just use your time here to grieve and support each other.

As a GP you are always helping others, listening to others, helping others with their problems - and people forget that GP's have their problems too. I believe that what has now happened may be one of life's Significant Emotional Events that could now help you 'see' more clearly what will be the right step to take for you and your family to take moving forward and make decision making more simple. My condolences to you and your family.

Archived