Sydney Hostel Advice

jademill2010

Hi Everyone!

I am going travelling to Australia in March 16 and have just applied for my visa, and looking to book flights and hostels, I have found a really good flight(well what I think is) for £539 one way to Sydney on the under 26 option through STA travel and is with Emirates.

I am now looking into hostels but I haven't got a clue where to start so am looking for some help!

I am looking for a hostel that is quite central, does anyone have any advice on what hostels I should look at (good value for money, nice atmosphere etc)

If anyone is looking at travelling around the same time or will be in the area at the time add me on facebook 'Jade Abigail Millington' and we can chat and arrange to meet up :)

Thank you

Hi again Jade,

That's not bad at all with Emirates, where are you flying from?

There are quite a few good hostels in Sydney, if i were you I would look at YHA Sydney(there are a few), Bounce, Wake up or Jackaroo. They seem to be the ones that come up most. I'm staying in the YHA Sydney Railway Square for the first two weeks.

I'll add you on FB as we seem to be going around the same time :)

I agree with Kayleigh. I paid £660 for my one way with Emirates. They're brilliant and well worth the money- free drinks, food, wifi on the plane!

I'm staying in jackaroo - $288 for 8 nights inc. breakfast and I booked through booking.com that allowed me to pay when I arrive so it's one less thing to worry about money wise. zx

I am going travelling to Australia in March 16

I am looking for a hostel that is quite central

Why is everyone so desperate to be "central" and what do you mean by that? There's a couple of good hostels near Central Station which is handy for the central business district - but most of the fun to be had in Sydney is NOT in the city centre. That's a bit like saying you're going to London and therefore you want to be in a hostel near the Shard.

I'd have thought most backpackers would want the one thing the UK can't offer - long sandy beaches, lively cafes and restaurants and all within easy reach of the city centre if you want to do office work. Most of the people who live in Coogee, Bondi, Bronte and the surrounding suburbs work in the city!

http://www.hostels.com/sydney/australia

Maybe because she hasn't been there before and wants to be 'Central' to everything going on, whatever that may be! Everyone has different ideas of what fun is, some people like to be in the centre close to Bars etc

Ah,but that assumes the best bars and restaurants are in the city. They're not. The pubs and restaurants in Sydney's city centre are aimed at corporate types, except the ones down the south end of town near the cinemas, which are often full of drunks and yobbos.

The best bars, restaurants and cafes are in the Eastern Suburbs - lively areas are Surry Hills near the city, or Coogee or Bondi (where you also have the benefit of being right on the long sandy beaches). There's also a decent amount of hospitality work in those areas.

Edited by Marisawright