What level of healthcare/travel insurance for 457 visa & immunisation record for school

apj696

My 457 visa application has been submitted and i'm trying to work out what level of travel insurance is classed as "adequate" and would pass the requirement for the visa.

The travel insurance would be for myself and my 6yr old daughter, we are both UK citizens so once i'm there will register for medicare.

There are so many levels that I want to make sure I get the right one!

Also, regarding the immunisation letter for enrolling my daughter into school, do I need just a letter to confirm that her imm's are up to date from the hospital (we currently live in Thailand and she was born here) or is there an actual form to fill in?

thanks

anna

We were never asked for proof of vaccinations to attend school but some schools may require it.

Its more if you want to claim child care rebate I think they will require proof immunisations as they don't just take your word for it. Least not for me. They wanted to see the red book (UK system of recording vaccinations) or a Doctors letter that confirmed what had been had so far and took from that to put into their system. My son needed to new vaccinations to bring him up to date. They may take your word on it filling out a form but I'd not chance it. Not if you want a complete up to date record to help claim any child care rebate etc (if she is under 7) or get any other vaccinations still needed in future.

Medical insurance, no clue, sorry.

I'm not sure that travel insurance is adequate for your 457 visa.

As far as I am aware, you need to take out a Private healthcare policy for you and your family. This is needed to cover you from the time you arrive in Australia to the time when you have Medicare. Its then up to you if you continue with private cover after Medicare has been granted.

When my kids all enrolled for school I had to hand in evidence of immunisation. It is not compulsory but if children are not immunised and there is an outbreak of some disease they may just give you an option to withhold your child from attending. As you have immunised your child you might just have to check which immunisations your child is covered for. In the Uk they don't give the chickenpox vaccination and I'm not sure if they do the Hep B as required for australian children. However being in Thailand she may have had these.

• 1 month later...

We are on a 457 and had every intention of using travel insurance to satisfy this aspect of the visa application until immigration told us quite firmly that it would not accepted as it had an end date of three months. They need to be certain that you will register for medicare during the lifetime of your insurance.

Instead we opted for HiF medical cover and only paid for one month which worked out at £86, they provided us with a letter confirming cover which immigration accepted.

On arrival in Australia, we registered for medicare within the first couple of weeks therefore satisfying the medical cover clause in the visa.

Hope this helps.