Life in Regional Queensland- Toowoomba and Darling Downs

thestantons1

Hi, We have posted on poms in oz before and we were really pleased with all the positive, encouraging feedback and advice we received so we are hoping we may be able to get some help again!

We moved to QLD on a sponsored visa. QLD sponsored us on the condition we live and work in regional QLD. I applied for a job in Toowoomba before we left the UK and it looked like it had come off and I had the job. The employer went so far as to contact my UK references and my application was constantly in the 'awaiting decision stage' when I checked with HR. However, it wasn't meant to be and the job never came off. During this time we had moved over to Darling Downs because I honestly thought I had the job. Meanwhile, my husband found work in Warwick. We have been living in Warwick for the last couple of months. I have a temporary job starting soon so we are tied to the area for at least two further months (this time I am definite I have the job and went to see the employer in person to confirm after I had been offered it verbally- not making the same mistake again!)

Despite enrolling in a few clubs and societies in and around Warwick, we are very much isolated. Immigration have told us that we both must work full time for a year in regional QLD. This is proving a nightmare as work is very few and far between in this area.

To be honest we are now thinking of moving to a more developed area of regional QLD where there might be more opportunities. This post is not a slight on Warwick/Toowoomba and I don't intend to be negative. It is lovely here- a real country vibe in both towns and we both feel very safe in Warwick but there is literally nothing to do. The people in our age group (25-35) have either moved to Brisbane or have families and therefore a totally different life to ours (we don't have children so its difficult to find common ground)

Originally when we both thought about moving to QLD we were looking at Sunshine Coast and I am thinking perhaps we might be better off there? We must, must, must work as the condition of our visa so if anyone knows of any full time jobs please can you let me know? I have a background in admin but to be honest I can turn my hand to anything- production, factory etc.

Any help from anyone in both Toowoomba/Darling Downs regarding the isolation and anyone in the Sunshine Coast regarding employment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much- a lonely pom

I have always said that sometimes people from UK do not understand what regional Australia really means and your post could be a helpful warning to others that it is not at all easy. I expect the Sunshine Coast will be a bit quiet for a young couple but overall, I think it is a good idea, there is always a bit more going on by the coast.

I don't think you are going to get a full time job by posting on the internet though, Sunshine Coast is known for unemployment issues and maybe you should take a trip over there and have a look around for work. Have you got anywhere with the usual job websites?

Just to clarify on your visas, unless you each applied for your own visa, to be able to apply for the next stage (the permanent visa) you both have to live in the regional area for two years but only one of you needs to have 12 months of full time regional employment. Of course the other one is only allowed to work regionally, but if work is patchy it imay be worth knowing that you both don't have to clock up 12 months.

ETA: Have to say I agree with Jock. Why this visa still exists is beyond me, there is hardly any demand for workers in this regional areas and time and time again, people are stuck on this stupid visa with no work.

What is classed as regional? Is it basically country areas away from the city?

I found this explanation online: "Regional Australia is a term used to refer to the non-metropolitan areas of the nation that lie beyond the major capital cities and their immediate surrounding suburbs".

Well Cairns is not a capital city; so maybe you could find work nearby in Port Douglas. PD is a tourist area so loads of things to do (great fun), plus you should be able to pick up some hospitality type work. Admin skills are good to have for hotel / motel / backpacker / caravan park / reception areas.

https://au.jora.com/jobs-in-Port-Douglas-QLD

Being a hotel full-time room attendant is hardly glamorous BUT it is very very easy to get a full time job doing it. And only for a year. Just grit your teeth and do what you have to - to get through and fulfill your visa requirements. After that you can go for the careers.

Keep checking on SEEK and other similar job sites. You can search by regional QLD.

Another job that is often in demand in regional areas is something like a care giver or home care

http://www.seek.com.au/job/29103301?pos=12&type=standard&engineConfig=&tier=no_tier&whereid=

Perhaps you could find work in some of the more isolated areas like mining towns. It is only for a year after all. Weipa is pretty isolated but you can earn good money up there. Will help set you up financially.

I guess the "Advantage " you have is that many people done want to go regional so not as many applying for jobs also you are open to trying different things. As JJB said, get onto seek, key in QLD and just tick regional don't fill in any thing else and have a look at all the jobs that come up.

Good Luck hope you find something soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thestantons1

We live in Toowoomba and are very happy here. We're lucky as my wife secured full time work before we moved here, but it took me 6 months and hundreds of applications to get a job. Funnily enough I didn't actually apply for my job, it was offered to me at a BBQ over a beer.

What we found out is that many companies don't actually advertise their jobs as it is too expensive, so the key is to get chatting to people and just go into places and ask if they have any work going. You might find you have a little more luck and like others say, it's not forever.

Good luck :)

I have always said that sometimes people from UK do not understand what regional Australia really means and your post could be a helpful warning to others that it is not at all easy. I expect the Sunshine Coast will be a bit quiet for a young couple but overall, I think it is a good idea, there is always a bit more going on by the coast.

I don't think you are going to get a full time job by posting on the internet though, Sunshine Coast is known for unemployment issues and maybe you should take a trip over there and have a look around for work. Have you got anywhere with the usual job websites?

Just to clarify on your visas, unless you each applied for your own visa, to be able to apply for the next stage (the permanent visa) you both have to live in the regional area for two years but only one of you needs to have 12 months of full time regional employment. Of course the other one is only allowed to work regionally, but if work is patchy it imay be worth knowing that you both don't have to clock up 12 months.

ETA: Have to say I agree with Jock. Why this visa still exists is beyond me, there is hardly any demand for workers in this regional areas and time and time again, people are stuck on this stupid visa with no work.

A very very good point. I think people imagine it is like rural UK whereas in fact it is often brown and barren and work can be very hard to find. Also the isolation can be a nightmare.

A very very good point. I think people imagine it is like rural UK whereas in fact it is often brown and barren and work can be very hard to find. Also the isolation can be a nightmare.

Isolation really depends on how far regional you go. For example Mt Isa is very regional and very brown and barren, though a couple of hours from a capital city the same can not be said for Toowoomba or places like Ballarat, Bendigo, Orange, or many other large regional towns as they have populations of over 200,000.

You are correct though in the fact that many coming here expect rural to be rolling green hills and paddocks like the UK and that is not the case. It even depends what state you are in as to when it is green and when it is dry. Toowoomba is now in its dry season, once we move into the wet season it will green up, on the other hand Victoria is in its wet season so it is nice and green but once summer comes it will dry out ( fire season).

We are retired,and have moved from the Lockyer Valley to the Sunshine Coast Bad Move!There is no work here,and it's expensive,people are being laid off all the time,Half the shops in the shopping centre have closed down.What may be some help to you,is there is always work on the farms in the Lockyer Valley,Not far from Toowoomba,towards the city.Farmers have had to plough crops in,as they couldn't get labour.The Locals find the work to hard and there is 8% unemployed .They employ a lot of back backers. Depends what you do, Peace work you can earn really good money picking onions. Malgowie Farms employ full time workers i believe,the hourly rate at the week end was $28 p/hr.Most jobs in regional Australia are part time. i know lots of Aussie's that have been employed part time for over 10 years.Your Post Is a wake up call to many that are flocking here to find there is no work,even for tradesmen, like bricklayers,sparkies,plumbers etc.then some have to take a 2 year course to qualify to Australian Standards.But then decided to back home broke.

We are retired,and have moved from the Lockyer Valley to the Sunshine Coast Bad Move!There is no work here,and it's expensive,people are being laid off all the time,Half the shops in the shopping centre have closed down.What may be some help to you,is there is always work on the farms in the Lockyer Valley,Not far from Toowoomba,towards the city.Farmers have had to plough crops in,as they couldn't get labour.The Locals find the work to hard and there is 8% unemployed .They employ a lot of back backers. Depends what you do, Peace work you can earn really good money picking onions. Malgowie Farms employ full time workers i believe,the hourly rate at the week end was $28 p/hr.Most jobs in regional Australia are part time. i know lots of Aussie's that have been employed part time for over 10 years.Your Post Is a wake up call to many that are flocking here to find there is no work,even for tradesmen, like bricklayers,sparkies,plumbers etc.then some have to take a 2 year course to qualify to Australian Standards.But then decided to back home broke.

Good Honest post ! Sadly the Gold Coast well the Northern End is on a downer as well. Pimpama which a few years ago was a lovely country area is now almost an entire area of rentals with many NRAS houses and town houses going in ( like housing commision but owned by private individuals rather than the government) Ormeau and Jacobs Ridge which 7 or 8 years ago was classed as up market suburbs are rapidly loosing value, lawns not mowed, bins left out, cars sitting on nature strips etc. Jobs are few and far between, rent is sky high on average plus $400 a week. There is a train to Brisbane but its not cheap, and with so many looking for the dream of living on the coast the roads are clogged.

Your comment re employment in the Lockyer Valley was really interesting, so many out of work yet as you say no one wants these often dirty hard labor jobs. Same in Victoria, only migrants in the fields picking fruit. Although I agree with very little Tony Abbott does, for those who are physically capable it really is time for - take these jobs or loose government payments.

Many flock here because of the high wages they sadly dont realise how high the cost of living is.

Archived