Oz tax debt recovered from the UK?

6838joe

Hi I know it's not the right thing to do but I don't have the money. I have a tax debt of around $7000 in oz and I'm returning back to the UK permanently soon, does anybody know what would happen if I stopped paying back my debt?

No that's very wrong. Civil debt yes, it's not but tax ie Government Debt is! The reciprical agreement means that you will have to pay it from the UK .

How does the reciprocal agreement work? How do they enforce the debt collecting is it the Ato or does it get handed over to the inland revenue for collection? Do they go after every amount owing small or big?

Thankyou for your help

How does the reciprocal agreement work? How do they enforce the debt collecting is it the Ato or does it get handed over to the inland revenue for collection? Do they go after every amount owing small or big?

Thankyou for your help

I don't have the answers for you I'm afraid, you would need to talk with ATO. Tax debt I'm assuming would be recovered out of your wages in the UK by the Inland Revenue . An accountant who understands Aus & Brit taxes might be able to help?

Guest The Pom Queen

Any government debt will be chased. You could leave $50,000 of debt on a credit card and not be chased but a $5 debt to the government and they will hunt you down.

Any government debt will be chased. You could leave $50,000 of debt on a credit card and not be chased but a $5 debt to the government and they will hunt you down.

There's your answer.

Pay your Govt debt with credit cards.

Flee from the credit card debt! [emoji12]

Note - not serious financial advice. [emoji3]

Archived