Cairns to Perth???

jammyone

Hi Everyone,

We're new to the forum and would love some advise if anyone can help!

My husband and I are originally from the UK and have lived in Cairns, QLD for 7 years. I work in the aviation industry and have been offered a really great job in Perth. My husband is happy to move, he works for himself & just wants me to be happy in my job too (which I've never really been in Cairns). My concern is that all I've heard is that Perth is very expensive & the fact that we visited Perth 7 years ago for a week and didn't like it, doesn't really inspired me. I'm so confused, do I go for the Job and maybe risk loosing a relaxed lifestyle that I have in Cairns or do we stay in Cairns with no career prospects???

I've read that Perth is 'righting' itself with regards to the cost of things, is that true?

Are there nice suburbs within 30mins to the airport that are close to the beach?

Any information would be gratefully received,

Thanks

Some things in Perth have reduced. Rents and property have reduced significantly. However, being next to a beach and 30 mins to the airport is going to restrict you to some of the more expensive areas.

If you are willing to push the commute out a bit further then you would be able to get a lot more for your money.

You might want to join the sister forum Perth Poms. We have a couple of members who work at the airport.

There are areas of Perth that offer a relaxed lifestyle. I am in one called Dawesville - very small suburb right on the beach and fairly affordable. You can get a two story rental with pool in a new house for $400 within 2 mins walk to the beach. But, we are an hour from the airport. I go through the airport a lot as I FIFO, in fact just about to leave work for the flight home. Personally the drive doesn't bother me.

I expect it is mainly housing that is more expensive, so you can get a good feel for this by looking at the real estate websites. For sure it will be more expensive, but you need to consider if there are places you like at a price you are willing to pay.

I wouldn't recommend moving to a place you don't like for career prospects. In fact when I read you didn't like Perth I was wondering why you are even considering it. Then I remembered that I was not too impressed with Perth on first visit, then we went again and we explored a bit wider and now we like it. We have even discussed it as a returement option in years to come! Can you fit in a short holiday before you make a firm decision?

Hi Everyone,

We're new to the forum and would love some advise if anyone can help!

My husband and I are originally from the UK and have lived in Cairns, QLD for 7 years. I work in the aviation industry and have been offered a really great job in Perth. My husband is happy to move, he works for himself & just wants me to be happy in my job too (which I've never really been in Cairns). My concern is that all I've heard is that Perth is very expensive & the fact that we visited Perth 7 years ago for a week and didn't like it, doesn't really inspired me. I'm so confused, do I go for the Job and maybe risk loosing a relaxed lifestyle that I have in Cairns or do we stay in Cairns with no career prospects???

I've read that Perth is 'righting' itself with regards to the cost of things, is that true?

Are there nice suburbs within 30mins to the airport that are close to the beach?

Any information would be gratefully received,

Thanks

You would have been here when prices were already rising. Is Perth righting itself? In areas but a lot of resistance to change here in charging prices that reflect the changing circumstances. It does take time to filter through. There are cheaper offers for meals, especially lunching out, but in general find prices still far too high without the value charged. It remains as recent published figures showed one of the most expensive of world cities though.

An Italian ran café a short distance from where I live has reduced prices and advertises 'Coffee at Melbourne Prices', so that may be suggestive. On the other hand another café I used to frequent raised prices by 10%. Glad to witness an apparent fall in custom hopefully in response.

Housing has declined some 3% on average but that was from grossly inflated prices. Still a far greater correction required and this has happened in WA's Kimberley and Pilbara regions to which some of the deniers on this forum claimed was unlikely to happen. I mean very big falls indeed.

Rentals are more plentiful and far easier to obtain than even a year ago. No more long lines of people outside rental houses in my area being treated with often total disdain by real estate property managers.

Although if you found Perth wanting seven years back I hardly think the addition of a few buildings would equate to being an inspiring city. Although full kudos to the underground train station located in the heart of the city and line running to Mandurah.

Traffic is notably far worse. Thankfully the vast numbers of incomers has declined and more have left as jobs diminished so a little more breathing space I suppose as the property market clearly shows.

I've actually thought of buying out of Cairns to live later but wouldn't intend to work in a job as such. May help to take a look at Perth through seven year older eyes to see what you make of it? Is the job on offer to good to pass up? If so perhaps it is worth taking the risk. After all you have some knowledge of what Perth is about.

Thanks Flag of Convenience. Yes, the job offer seems to good to pass by, that's why we're so confused. We're happy and settled in Cairns (apart from the heat) and didn't go looking for this job, just had a call out of the blue from an old work colleague and the rest is history.

Archived