Student Visa

partnership

Have a son who is coming to the end of his WHV and wants to stay on. He has been studying part time as well as working in order to become a paramedic. So far he has obtained the Certificate IV in Healthcare Ambulance and wants to continue on to do a Diploma in Paramedical Science. He was hoping that the certificate would be enough to get sponsorship to stay on but I am not sure it will and he probably won't have time to organise anything. He is thinking of converting to a student visa but does not have the money to pay upfront for college. Is there anyway he can get a student loan out there?

Does anyone have any advice on what he can do?

There will be no help available to him to fund studies unless he is a PR or citizen. As an international student he'll be looking at enormous fees too. He may well want to stay out there, but more realistic is returning to the UK, becoming qualified as a paramedic, getting a couple of years experience post qual, then applying for a PR visa.

First, will the diploma result in being a fully qualified paramedic? I thought it was a degree to become that?

Second, if not, then sponsorship is not going to be available, as it requires the applicant to be fully qualified.

Third, even if he becomes fully qualified, I know from experience that even highly experienced and fully qualified paramedics find it very hard to get sponsorship.

Thanks for the replies guys. The Diploma will let him get work in private industry. Does anyone know if the student visa has to be a fulltime course or could an online course be an option as that would be cheaper.

Has to be full time and can't be online.

As someone who came on a student visa, I'd stop him wasting his money now and get him to do it in the UK.

As someone who works with medics in private industry, I would be VERY wary of doing anything below the full qualification. I know that everywhere I have worked, the medics have been fully qualified paramedics. In industry, they also often need further qualifications such as Health and Safety.

My advice would be for him to get fully qualified in the UK, but do so, in the knowledge there is a good chance he still wont be able to move to Oz

Archived