sons uk passport expired

mandy1963

We want to return to the UK asap, we have become Australian citizens, we have 2 yrs left on our British passports,except our 13yr sons British passport has expired.

As he is only 13 and our British passports are still valid,and we were all born in the UK,would there be an issue with my son being allowed back into the UK on his oz passport accompanied by his expired British passport :arghh:

But if he travels on his oz passport, will they say he can only stay for 6 months, we are returning forever, and funds are so very tight if we really don't need to get a new British passport would rather put the money towards flights etc. Or as he along with all of us was born in the UK, and our passports still have a couple of yrs on them,is he automatically given British citizenship ? sorry but I have so much going on in my head right now :(

If he had a British passport he already has British citizenship. Its not an easy process to go about getting rid of it.

If your in a rush perhaps the easiest solution is to go back on Oz one get a new UK one whilst in the UK and potentially leave the country on a cheap flight a few months down the line to make it all legit. But I'm not an expert on these matters by any means.

If he had a British passport he already has British citizenship. Its not an easy process to go about getting rid of it.

If your in a rush perhaps the easiest solution is to go back on Oz one get a new UK one whilst in the UK and potentially leave the country on a cheap flight a few months down the line to make it all legit. But I'm not an expert on these matters by any means.

so if he is already a British citizen surely there wouldn't be any need to get flights and leave again. If we his parents are British citizens with valid British passports,and his British passport has expired,would he not automatically have British citizenship ?

so if he is already a British citizen surely there wouldn't be any need to get flights and leave again. If we his parents are British citizens with valid British passports,and his British passport has expired,would he not automatically have British citizenship ?

He is a British Citizen if he has had a passport, but that doesn't mean he has entered the country legally if he enters on an Aussie passport which will have a stamp in it saying when he should leave.

I dont know your personal finances but it may just save time and money to take the hit and pay for him a new passport now. If he is living in the UK he is going to need one anyway.

But if he travels on his oz passport, will they say he can only stay for 6 months, we are returning forever, and funds are so very tight if we really don't need to get a new British passport would rather put the money towards flights etc. Or as he along with all of us was born in the UK, and our passports still have a couple of yrs on them,is he automatically given British citizenship ? sorry but I have so much going on in my head right now :(

When we came back to the UK our kids only had Australian passports but we're allowed in on 6 month visas but we were told that as they were British by descent they were obviously allowed to stay indefinitely. They just had to stamp something in the passport.

The line from the Home Office is "A person who is a British citizen is not subject to immigration control and is free to enter or leave the United Kingdom without restriction", you don't need a current passport to enter the UK: my father has been going back and forth for about 10 years with an old one and never had issue - it's the era of electronic storage and instant information so they don't need a booklet to prove he's a citizen.

The worst that can happen is that you get someone who doesn't know that at the counter. When I was 12 I went to Aus to visit relatives by myself, when coming back I got a 6 month stamp as I didn't have a British passport at the time but all my parents did was ring up immigration with proof I was a British citizen, job done.

He is a British Citizen if he has had a passport, but that doesn't mean he has entered the country legally if he enters on an Aussie passport which will have a stamp in it saying when he should leave.

I dont know your personal finances but it may just save time and money to take the hit and pay for him a new passport now. If he is living in the UK he is going to need one anyway.

I wonder how many UK citizens living in the UK do not have a passport, I would guess a large number. If you have no intention of leaving the country (holidays, work etc...) then you will not need one.

The UK Border does not record people leaving, only entering. Therefore, the Home Office has no reason to know that your son ever left the UK, and if he enters on an Australian passport, they have no way to know that he is the same person as the British citizen of the same name and no way to know whether he leaves or has stayed in Britain.

Also, a Bristish Citizen has the absolute right to live and work in the UK. Getting into the UK from outside will require proof of British citizenship (which is usually a passport, but doesn't have to be) or admission through any other means (an Australian passport will do). Once in the UK, he can do as he pleases and if anyone ever asks, he just needs to show his UK Birth Certificate.

The least hassle way and cheapest way to do this - for all of you - would be to enter on Australian passports and be stamped in as tourists, then just go about your life as British citizens with no need for further bureaucracy. This is perfectly legal. If two of you come in on British passports and present your son's Australian passport (or his expired UK one), you'd still all get admitted but it would take much more time to get processed.

If you are a citizen of a country you have a right to enter the country. You might not be able to get on a plane with an expired passport, but you can't be denied when entering your country of citizenship. Just enter with the UK passport. Entering as Australians will be a big pain in the rear end.

I wonder how many UK citizens living in the UK do not have a passport, I would guess a large number. If you have no intention of leaving the country (holidays, work etc...) then you will not need one.

And realistically who wants that life for a young child? Your splitting hairs.

And realistically who wants that life for a young child? Your splitting hairs.

Well actually I was merely pointing out that there would be many people who live in the UK who do not have passports and have no fear or risk of being deported - why is that splitting hairs ?

By the way it's "you're splitting hairs." just to split hairs.

I never claimed they would be deported just that its pretty much essential that most people will need a passport at some point.

I don't disagree with this. The original poster had concerns regarding their financial position and is obviously trying to reduce their up front costs. If there is no legal requirement to have the passport now, then why not save the money and get the passport in the future when required.

I don't disagree with this. The original poster had concerns regarding their financial position and is obviously trying to reduce their up front costs. If there is no legal requirement to have the passport now, then why not save the money and get the passport in the future when required.

My post "I dont know your personal finances but it may just save time and money to take the hit and pay for him a new passport now. If he is living in the UK he is going to need one anyway."

Hardly a million miles from what I posted.

Thank you all for your replies, im starting to get in a panic so we have decided just renew his British passport before we leave. After that long flight home I really don't want to be held up at border control arguing about the fact he is a British citizen look at his birth certificate as proof,but the they turn around and say something about the fact he is entering on his Australian passport :(

Archived