We want to move to Australia but..

craigged

So we just got back to Scotland from Melbourne visiting family ( a lot of family). We discussed it a bit but we just gave up because the visa process for living in australia was crazy hard, I'm a teenager by the way and my dad owns a taxi firm so it's quite strange. We really want to move to Melbourne to live beside our family but obviously there's the visa barrier, I know I haven't worded this thread well at all (it's late) but I'm wondering if you have any advice like if my Dad could get a small business license and a taxi license for victoria?

Not sure about the visa process, but the taxi business isn't very good anymore.

Uber is taking over some of the business from taxi drivers.

Most of the taxi drivers seem to be indians or from the Middle East. They work very long hours and don't make much money.

Not sure about the visa process, but the taxi business isn't very good anymore.

Uber is taking over some of the business from taxi drivers.

Most of the taxi drivers seem to be indians or from the Middle East. They work very long hours and don't make much money.

Yeah I noticed that when I was over there but I didn't notice anyone using uber, mainly because I was in Frankston, not central Melbourne but thanks for the reply anyway

First thing's first, have a look at what visas might be available - if you share more details of your circumstances then there are very knowledgeable and could give you a start.

On top of that, if you see a registered migration agent for an hour, they will tell you what's available for your circumstances. If you're giving up at the thought of the visa process then the level of commitment needed for a move like this might not be there. That's the easy part!

As for the viability of a taxi company in Melbourne, I do know that taxi drivers whinge about not earning much, but cabbies whinge about everything so I wouldn't just go off that - owning a taxi company well well be just as good a business as anything other business, but ask people in the know.

Good luck!

In general, most skilled migrant visas require the applicant to have an occupation on one of the two occupation lists published on the DIBP website (SOL and CSOL). Taxi driver wouldn't be on the list, but perhaps a business manager or other relevant occupation may be something your father may qualify for. Another option would be a business investor visa but these require a fairly high level of business revenue/investment.

I'd suggest if your family wants to seriously consider this, then arrange a consultation with a good migration agent (there are several who post on this forum regularly who are all knowledgeable) to see what options may be best.

To get a business visa, there are some very high financial hurdles to jump. I can't remember what it is, but the business would need substantial turnover, maybe $500k. If that is the size of your dads business then maybe there is a route. Otherwise I would doubt it very much.

Hello, there is an option for your dad to open a start-up business in Australia, with pathways for permanent residency (for him and family). It is like a "self-sponsor" rather than a business visa that will require a high turnover.

Archived