Buying a car

jack barker

Hi guys was just wondering if anyone could explain all the stuff needed for buying a car in Queensland. In the UK we usually look for full service history mot and make sure it's not a cat d or whatever.me and the mrs are flying over to Brisbane in October and will need a set of wheels asap. What's a road worthy cert? Same as an mot? Or could anyone copy me a link I can't find anything related really.

It seems so much more complicated compared to the uk. Is a Rego basically an MOT? And it needs to be registered basically just like applying for a v5 register. Get a online check done then insure it??

Yes it is more complicated. Basically look for the same things you would here, service history etc. The roadworthy is the same as an MOT and a car being sold must have one. Rego is registration, it is different to here where a car when first registered is given a number and that stays with it for its life. In Queens land you must pay registration every year and a component of what you pay is 3rd party insurance but this is for personal injury and does NOT include property damage so although it is legal to drive with just the compulsory 3rd party it will not cover any damage to other vehicles or your own.

There is a requirement that garages must provide a 3 month guarantee minimum whereas private purchase, your on you own.

Popular cars are in QLD are Japanese, German and Austealuan which are cheaper generally but share most component with Vauxhall or Opel. SUV's are popular however not essential unless you are rural and even then unmade roads are rare and generally require true off road vehicles. Us, we have a 2009 golf mk6 Tdi comfortline with sports pack, great car and always appropriate.

Rego, $320 6 months

Insurance full comp $400 1 year

Service, full $420 however needed wipers for rego, $80!!

Roadworthy is $80 as currently for sale.

S

would definitely say don't take the risk with just driving the car on the compulsory insurance alone, although i'm not one to talk haha i drove for six years over here and never took out proper insurance... is a gamble though and is always in the back of your head what if!

thanks guys really helped explain the system. seems straight forward enough its just the same as the uk apart from the rego part. just to recap though i need

1.rego

2.roadworthy

3.insurance

and then obv service whenever its due? does the roadworthy last a year at a time or does it need to be renewed when the new owner buys the car?? sorry if thats a daft question lol. also one more thing we will be moving around quite a bit planning a trip down the east coast so we wont have a permanent place to stay planning on hostels hotels etc will that create a problem for getting insurance rego and stuff??

Other advice, stay away from hail damaged cars.

Best to buy Japanese, with European brands you may have to put the expensive fuel in (not 95) and they are more expensive to service

also cars keep their value more here so be prepared for second hand cars to appear expensive compared to the UK

oh and if you have resale in mind get an auto as Aussies seem to favour them

there's not MOT here so plenty of cars driving roung with badly adjusted headlights and near bald tyres

Rego, yes

Insurance, yes

Roadworthy for the seller to obtain and is only renewed at selling in QLD.

Japanese are trusted but can be a little expensive to maintain.

European seen as exotic, well built and quality but expensive. Audi for example is a premium badge....we all know VW dressed up to impress.

Australian cars, very soft and big ie American style. They do the job but rarely excite.

Australians love their cars and will pay slot for great example of rare cars. There are also plenty of top end cars here however they hold top end prices.

Hail damage, not an issue other than insurance, you will not get fully comp and only 3rd party.

S

no worries guy im pretty clued up about cars themselves just not too sure about the different laws surrounding them. looking at the subaru liberty u guys have down under. fancied one since i seen one on gumtree, don,t get them in the uk. either that or an impreza non turbo. maybe even an accord just depends whats out there when i arrive! is hail damage sort of like labeling a car in the uk cat C OR D??

My mate's swanky BMW was written off due to hail damage - she got a great car by purchasing it from insurers for 8K..... Paid nearly as much as that for my second hand Barina!

If you know about cars then you probably won't need this but RACQ can do inspections of vehicles - It is tough here as cars aren't exposed to the same elements so look pretty good even though they may be death traps inside!

Rego, yes

Insurance, yes

European seen as exotic, well built and quality but expensive. Audi for example is a premium badge....we all know VW dressed up to impress.

Australian cars, very soft and big ie American style. They do the job but rarely excite.

Australians love their cars and will pay slot for great example of rare cars. There are also plenty of top end cars here however they hold top end prices.

Hail damage, not an issue other than insurance, you will not get fully comp and only 3rd party.

S

That's interesting as one of our cars that was hail damaged was reinsured the next year fully comp.

Rego, yes

Insurance, yes

Australian cars, very soft andd big ie American style. They do the job but rarely excite.

S

You've obviously never driven a Falcon XR6 Turbo at full song then

• 4 weeks later...

The seller gets a road worthy - a certificate from a garage to say it is roadworthy. Private sale - valid for 2 months or 2000k I think, slightly different if a dealer.

You cannot sell a car privately without one IF it is registered.

If you buy an unregistered car it doesnt need a road worthy but you would need to get one before you registered it - dont suggest this option but just giving full info.

Car auctions are good, as is Gumtree, Carsales etc to find them.

I just sent my car off to auction today. I had to provide roadworthy certificate so they could sell it registered so fingers crossed for Wednesday.

Archived