Coming on my own

Alix Fisher

Well update!! I've been speaking to two girls and they're flying down from London and arriving 2 hours before me. They've booked on the same hostel and are in the same 4 bed dorm as me. I'm so glad, I was nervous about going but now I'm like right whatever kind of thing I just can't wait to arrive. I had a backpack when I went travelling around Thailand for a month and I hated it, i can't carry much on my back cos I get a bad back quite easily, and all my clothes were creased!! To be honest it's not like I'm going to be travelling around a lot were a backpack will be better for me. From the airport I'm getting the train anyway and then after that I'll only be wheeling it to and from a bus or plane to wherever my next stop is haha!! But I ended up carrying my backpack with my hand the majority of the time in Thailand cos my back was sore. Makes sense for me to take a suitcase!! I'm only staying in Sydney for 8 nights then in that time getting a job lined up for farm work :-) Im taking my tote bag and it's got a zip on it, I don't do bumbags they are ugly haha!! But I've got a small backpack for the flight anyway as its the only one I could find that fits my hair straighteners in it!!

Even if I find my suitcase is getting annoying or whatever then I'll just ditch it and buy a backpack, it's an old suitcase anyway!!

I don't wear bumbles as a rule. But they are good for travel, especially flying when you can keep your passport, tickets. Meds, glasses, etc. In front of you and no scrabbling thru other bags.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my flight I've got a small backpack cos it fits everything in, go pro/makeup etc, then for my passport and tickets I've got an cross over bag!!! Not sure when to start packing I'm so excited!! It's come around so fast I booked it in December x

Make up? You are a girl Alix? Not that make up on a boy Alix would be out of place where I live. I have a lady friend called Alex too.uploadfromtaptalk1440490434088.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1440490434088.jpg

I don't do bumbags they are ugly

That may be - but they are extremely useful and practical when travelling.

You are not walking the catwalk at a fashion show!

Although with all this talk of make-up and hair straighteners........ maybe you are!! :wink:

They keep your hands free, they keep your stuff safe and easy to find in an instance. Which is very handy when going through airports and customs.

You can also sleep with them under your pillow or mattress; as most hostels don't have "safe" safes!

Occasionally you may get stranded at airports and bus stations late at night, and it is so much safer with your passport and money in a bum bag under your shirt, should you accidentally fall asleep in any of these places during delays.

Remember you are meant to be "backpacking" and that sometimes means roughing it and these situations require practically; however untrendy that may be!

Ill be flying in to Brisbane Mid-October and share the excitement. Will be on my own as well, but i worry very little because i'm 6' and 225 lbs and pretty fit so someone looking for trouble would surely find it haha. But I'm sure you will be fine :) I know dozens of female friends who are more than capable of holding their own in diverting unwanted attention. Enjoy your journey! If/when i make it down to sydney at some point in my 1 year visa, i'll shoot ya a message. Cheers!

That may be - but they are extremely useful and practical when travelling.

You are not walking the catwalk at a fashion show!

Although with all this talk of make-up and hair straighteners........ maybe you are!! :wink:

They keep your hands free, they keep your stuff safe and easy to find in an instance. Which is very handy when going through airports and customs.

You can also sleep with them under your pillow or mattress; as most hostels don't have "safe" safes!

Occasionally you may get stranded at airports and bus stations late at night, and it is so much safer with your passport and money in a bum bag under your shirt, should you accidentally fall asleep in any of these places during delays.

Remember you are meant to be "backpacking" and that sometimes means roughing it and these situations require practically; however untrendy that may be!

My bum bag stays in the cupboard until I need to travel when, like you, it's so handy to have your passport, tickets, wallet, meds, small 1st aid kit, etc, in front of you, rather than scrabbling in bags and backpacks. The last time I used my bum bag was five months ago on my last trip.

I'm not beyond using a 'man bag' in the summer when I need somewhere to put my phone and note book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi. I was due to be coming with my boyfriend (now ex) of 3 years to oz in September... We have split up and I'm coming on my own and he isn't going at all. I'm TERRIFIED about it, but I've got myself into a hostel in Sydney for 8 nights. Anyone got any tips? Not a fan of having to fly on my own either :(

Hi alix, the exact thing has happened to me! Boyfriend of 2 years has bailed out of travelling so i am going solo! im probably just as scared (ifnot more scared) than you! I arrive in December and havent even got a plan yet! I just hope that I meet plenty of people along the way.

Hi alix, the exact thing has happened to me! Boyfriend of 2 years has bailed out of travelling so i am going solo! im probably just as scared (ifnot more scared) than you! I arrive in December and havent even got a plan yet! I just hope that I meet plenty of people along the way.

Hi Rosie, I know it's scary but Alix is currently out there at the moment And judging by her Facebook she is having the time of her life :-). You'll be fine, there are so many people to meet along the way out there! I arrive in February on my own and I'm so excited!

It'll be the best thing you'll ever do, I promise!

I don't think she'll come back on

Great if she could come back for a flying visit and update. Maybe you could give her a nudge on FB?

Although most of us (I speak for myself anyway) are old fogies on here; and I guess she is having too much fun to worry about updating.

Hope she brought a practical bum bag and left those eye lash curlers at home!!! ;)

Hey guys!!! Sorry I've not been on much. 3 weeks here have flown by, I'm having the time of my life here!! I've not got a bum bag and been using my small backpack majority of the time and had no problems with getting mugged... I guess you have to be on guard all the time though but majority of people here are nice. Weather is too hot!! So humid, been to beaches- Bondi and Manly, the zoo, then did the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk and the beaches in between, opera house etc... Drinking has seen me off!! Been hungover the majority of the time I've been here lol. Off to do my farmwork in a place called Bathurst about 2 hours away from Sydney on Wednesday.. I'll be sad to leave the hostel I've met some great people!! Will try and come on more but Rosie you have NOTHING to worry about- hostels are the best place to meet people and I've not even thought about home ever or my ex anyway!! X

I've not got a bum bag and been using my small backpack majority of the time and had no problems with getting mugged...

Don't fall asleep in any bus stations at midnight then :)

Sounds like you are having a great time

Hungover most of the time in the heat - ahhh what sweet WHV memories I am having now!

Jenolan Caves, Abercrombie House and Abercrombie Caves are in (and around) Bathurst and are interesting. Otherwise you have the 1000 speedway (NOT my idea of fun), and if you like good food and wine then there is always Mudgee nearby.

Have fun