Mandurah and area

twinsmom65

Hello,

Well just received WA state nomination and have just finished our 176 Visa online application. The WA government gave us 3 areas, one of them being Peel. This appeals to us as it is still close to Perth, is now on the rail link and from looking on REIWA the house prices look a little cheaper.

Does anyone know much about this area, I really did not do too much research as we did have our heart set on Perth Metro (I guess we could always contact WA and ask if we could locate to Perth Metro), but just from looking on the web, it does seem that Mandurah is nice and it seems like an up and coming town, with lots of opportunities for my OH who is in HVAC.

We will be moving with twin girls who are 14 now but will be closer to 15 once we actually move. They are both outdoorsy types who love to swim, love dolphins and horseriding. I really don't mind where we live, as long as it is a nice neighbourhood and safe. We live in a nice neighbourhood in Canada right now, we even leave our house unlocked all day and we have lots of wildlife (deer, ducks etc) around us, so we would want something comparable in Oz. Hopefully something near a beach would be good.

Any ideas from someone living in Mandurah or the surronding area would be great. I will still continue to research on the web, however, it is always nice to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.

Cheers

Karen

:jiggy:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karen

I live in the UK so I obviously don't live in Mandurah! However I know some people who do and I have been to visit them. I think Mandurah is MILES nicer than the suburbs of Perth, myself (though someone will probably shoot me for saying this!)

Lots of our Members live round there, though, so I'm sure you'll get loads of specific help.

Remember Google Earth, too. Have a look at Mandurah and some of the surrounding areas on that, I suggest.

Best wishes

Gill

Mandurah is very nice - my inlaws loved it when they came (I'm sure they'd have liked to retire there). Lots of Brits down that way too, schools will be used to dealing with children that migrate. We initially looked at Mandurah to settle (prior to leaving UK), but we didn't want long commute's to work and in the end it was too far away for our jobs.

Ali

Guest emi-great

Hi

If you look at our web site it is specifically about Mandurah & Rockingham we live in the area & most of the users on our forum do too so you will get a good overview of the area from that.

We love Mandurah there is everything you need good shops, cinema, performing arts centre & fabulous beaches. There are lots of different types of homes some close to the beaches or rural properties of 1/2 an acre or up to 5 acres within a few minutes drive of Mandurah.

There are aerial photos on our site if you check out the topic pages so that will give you an idea although being one of the fastest growing areas in the country it has changed a bit!

Good luck with the move

Eve

Emi-Great - Home - Short Term Rental Accommodation for migrants emigrating from England to Rockingham, Mandurah, Port Kennedy, Warnbro and Perth

Hi

If you look at our web site it is specifically about Mandurah & Rockingham we live in the area & most of the users on our forum do too so you will get a good overview of the area from that.

We love Mandurah there is everything you need good shops, cinema, performing arts centre & fabulous beaches. There are lots of different types of homes some close to the beaches or rural properties of 1/2 an acre or up to 5 acres within a few minutes drive of Mandurah.

There are aerial photos on our site if you check out the topic pages so that will give you an idea although being one of the fastest growing areas in the country it has changed a bit!

Good luck with the move

Eve

Emi-Great - Home - Short Term Rental Accommodation for migrants emigrating from England to Rockingham, Mandurah, Port Kennedy, Warnbro and Perth

Thanks Eve,

Already added your website to my favourites. I think for sure that I will be in contact with you, once we know the timeframe of when we are coming over. Having never been to Austalia before, it will be nice to know that we can have somewhere to go after a long flight.

I will email you personally once the dates are confirmed for when we get our visa. I love the look of Mandurah. I already have it saved on my Google Earth. Dolphins... wow our family loves Dolphins... I swam with a Dolphin last year in the Dominican Republic and what an experience.... this is a good incentive for my Mom and Dad to pay us a visit once we finally get to Oz.

Cheers

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ohippychick

I live in Mandurah and it's exactly as you describe. Most weeks I go down to the foreshore and sit and have a coffee and watch the dolphins who generally show up. There are quite a lot of horsey, semi rural areas around here - Pinjarra, Lake Clifton, Herron, Stakehill, Baldivis for example, all within an easy drive to the beach where people swim, body board and surf all year round. There are some areas with rips you need to be careful of but here in Halls head we have a lagoon which is safe for young children swimming as is Falcon too.

Guest mandy1

Hi

We live in Port Kennedy, which is about 10 minutes drive away from Mandurah. We really like Mandurah, the foreshore is lovely and has plenty of cafes, bars & restaurants. We sometimes go on a Sunday for coffee and a walk along the foreshore. I'm not sure what its like to live there but there is a direct train link into Perth (about 30mins) so you are near to the city.

Mandy x

I live in Mandurah and it's exactly as you describe. Most weeks I go down to the foreshore and sit and have a coffee and watch the dolphins who generally show up. There are quite a lot of horsey, semi rural areas around here - Pinjarra, Lake Clifton, Herron, Stakehill, Baldivis for example, all within an easy drive to the beach where people swim, body board and surf all year round. There are some areas with rips you need to be careful of but here in Halls head we have a lagoon which is safe for young children swimming as is Falcon too.

Thanks for the reply,

Was acutally looking at Halls Head, as it really appeals to me. When I go onto REIWA, I always type in Halls Head, as well as Meadow Springs, Dawesville, Dudley Park.

I have done some research into Halls Head and it looks like there is a high school there, am I correct??? . My twins are just graduating grade 8 this year in Canada, and will be starting high school in September (hopefully for only a few months), so schools are important to us.

The more I look at the Mandurah area, the more in love I am with it. It really appeals to us. I did not want to move to a large city (would hate to move to Toronto here), so a smaller city appeals to us.

Looking at house prices, they are not too bad (I guess living in Canada, I kinda know what large bungelows go for around here), plus when we do decide to buy a house, it hopefully will be our last move (famous last words... our current house was supposed to be our last move).

Do you know the name of the Golf Course in Halls Head, my OH is a golf nut and unfortunately living in Canada, he can only play about 5 months of the year. So the idea that he can play year round, is a bonus.

I think we will look for a house near the beach (okay within walking distance... I can walk a km or two), both my girls are summer girls and excellent swimmers (they did competetive synchronized swimming in Canada), so I think that being near a beach will be good for them).

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, it is just nice to hear about an area from someone who lives there. You can google all you want, but it is much better to hear first hand.

Our visa process is going along, had our meds and police checks done, now just the waiting game. It would be so nice if we could be down there before Christmas. Although I must admit it will seem different without any snow (it's the only time of year that I love the snow, it can go after Christmas Day), you'd figure that after 27 years of living in Canada I would be used to the winters (never did.. came from good old England where we were used to Green Christmas's).

Any help on Halls Head would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Guest emi-great

Hi

There is indeed a High School in Halls Head which I believe has a good reputation the children would go there until year 10 & then on to the Mandurah Senior Campus for year 11 & 12 I believe. Halls Head Community College is a relatively new school so has good facilities.

www.hallsheadesc.wa.edu.au

If you are looking at property in the Halls Head area you have a good choice of homes there are new homes built around canals (with a price to go with that) old Halls Head is built on the original dunes around the estuary mouth & there are some lovely established areas there. Seascapes is a new suburb close to the beach but as they do with new suburbs they have flattened the dunes & put homes up around the beach area & out towards the old coast road.

There are several areas close to Halls Head including Falcon, Miami, Mariners Cove & Erskine. Parts of Halls Head (old area) are just over the old traffic bridge quite close to the Mandurah Estuary foreshore & other areas are beach front or just back from the beach.

There are plenty of new shopping areas close by & of course the golf course. Your OH will be pleased to know there are several golf courses within a 20 minute drive of Halls Head so he will be spoilt for choice.

If you check out our web pages the topic page has an aerial photo of Mandurah & this may help you see how the land lies & give you an idea of distances involoved.

Eve

• 2 weeks later...

hi karen

we have just got back from Perth and, we loved Mandurah so much visited it 4 x, the place has a really nice feeling, lots to see an do, for kid an adults, stunning beaches, realestate.com.au is good to get an idear of house prices. when we where there we where sat by the dome coffee shop, and there they where the dolphins!!, to say i was excited was an understatment, it made my day. oh the liittle things, whis i where there.

Just to butt in, is it really only a 30 minute train ride from Mandurah to the CBD. I thought it would be about an hour.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, we visited Mandurah a couple of years ago and it is a beautiful place and i would go and live there tommorrow. You have to understand about Perth, there is the huge cosmoploitan city and also Fremantle which is a small city and then there are other areas that consist of very small built up areas with a sprinkling of shops and bars. Unless i missed other large built up areas then my own experience is that it is nothing like busy and bustling, just small communities that are very appealing to me. I want small, quiet and unasuming places where it looks like nothing ever really awful happens, i know there is crime everywhere but i'm sure it's on a very reduce scale. Mandurah is perfect and you will love it, cheers helen.

• 1 month later...

HI twinsmum65

Hows it going?? we are off to Mandurah Halls Head Oct, we have rented a beach house, soooo excited!!!

have you got your visa yet?? you might find these addresses,of some use regarding schools. www.mandurah.wa.gov.au www.peel.wa.gov.au

strange but true, i also have twins boys age 12, and also am called Karen !!

goodluck.

karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pomsrus
Hello,

Well just received WA state nomination and have just finished our 176 Visa online application. The WA government gave us 3 areas, one of them being Peel. This appeals to us as it is still close to Perth, is now on the rail link and from looking on REIWA the house prices look a little cheaper.

Does anyone know much about this area, I really did not do too much research as we did have our heart set on Perth Metro (I guess we could always contact WA and ask if we could locate to Perth Metro), but just from looking on the web, it does seem that Mandurah is nice and it seems like an up and coming town, with lots of opportunities for my OH who is in HVAC.

We will be moving with twin girls who are 14 now but will be closer to 15 once we actually move. They are both outdoorsy types who love to swim, love dolphins and horseriding. I really don't mind where we live, as long as it is a nice neighbourhood and safe. We live in a nice neighbourhood in Canada right now, we even leave our house unlocked all day and we have lots of wildlife (deer, ducks etc) around us, so we would want something comparable in Oz. Hopefully something near a beach would be good.

Any ideas from someone living in Mandurah or the surronding area would be great. I will still continue to research on the web, however, it is always nice to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.

Cheers

Karen

:jiggy:

Hi

I live in Mandurah with my husband and kids we migrated here just over 2 years ago. I have 2 daughters aged 14 and 12 and a son aged 4. Mandurah is a great place to live and now has the rail service to Perth, 20 minutes from Rockingham which has excellent beaches but without a doubt Mandurah is the best place to live. Hope this helps reassure you, but if not and you want to ask anything else, I am happy to help you out with anything you need to know and also if your daughters want to chat to a 14 year old who has experienced it 1st hand. I know how hard it is sitting over there trying to piece together what its like here, how it will be and trying to reassure yourself and the rest of the family how great it is all going to be for you all, when deep down you are so anxious and unsure how it will all be to.

i lived in bunbury ( down the road), from 89- 94 , we did very well . Back in the uk now for family reasons( temporary).

Have visited Mandurah , a few times , nice place,FANTASTIC PLACE FOR YOUR CHILDREN , there is nothing in the uk for them now- and more importantly , its tough to start with "STICK IT OUT" and mix with the aussies, if they take to you , they are the best friends you could ever have

Archived