Fewer People want to live in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

You are not getting economics. There is no finite number of jobs - there is no sense that migrants are taking our jobs. Migrants bring much needed skills and experience and diversity. They make the economy stronger and more capable. Plus, if they come as skilled adults, they don't place a burden on Australia of needing to educate and train them - they are ready and able to participate in the economy. Migrants will just add to the overall level of economic activity, creating new jobs. Migration is the one key strength in Australia's pretty shaky economy.

That how the government attempts to sell it to the natives. Of course during economic downturn there is a declining need for excess labour. While migrants do bring diversity they also are an easy and cheap way for employers to avoid the expense and hassle of training local workers. It is not a burden (or should not be)to train ones workforce.

Migration in large numbers without the infrastructure to go with the population increase actually declines living standards for all not improves. A carefully selected, universal immigration scheme that will keep the general population on board is what is required. As well as a list that actually reflects shortages and not bringing in people whose positions in the work force are already over subscribed.

It doesn't even work as an answer to the ageing population as an even bigger number will be needed as this lot ages.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That how the government attempts to sell it to the natives. Of course during economic downturn there is a declining need for excess labour. While migrants do bring diversity they also are an easy and cheap way for employers to avoid the expense and hassle of training local workers. It is not a burden (or should not be)to train ones workforce.

Migration in large numbers without the infrastructure to go with the population increase actually declines living standards for all not improves. A carefully selected, universal immigration scheme that will keep the general population on board is what is required. As well as a list that actually reflects shortages and not bringing in people whose positions in the work force are already over subscribed.

It doesn't even work as an answer to the ageing population as an even bigger number will be needed as this lot ages.

Sensible immigration to ensure community support the way to go.

Green behind the Gills? I like it but it means looking nauseous rather than the wide eyed gullible yokel arriving in Gotham ripe to buy the Sydney Harbour Bridge from the first wide boy he meets. Mind you, I WAS a gullible and naive yokel!

My point is that there will always be recessions and booms and you can never pick the right time to come to Australia or to buy and sell a house. My parents bought a place in Narrabeen in 1981 and sold in 1987 for little profit only to see prices boom again. They missed out tho I benefited from buying low in 1987.

Your parents would unlikely to get a look into the Sydney market these days. Just as many hundreds of thousands of Australians who are finding close to impossible to get a foothold in their city. Or refuse rightly to become life time debt slaves to lenders.

I feel sad that OH loves it here so much, that he won't even go back for a holiday. I keep thinking he may regret it!!

in particular to see his mum, but there again she did kind of bring it on herself, none of the four boys seem bothered about her:huh:

You reap what you sow n all that.

I will if needed return for my mums sake, if things get so bad, but I'm a only child and grew up in a single patent family.

She spent her life putting me first...I would want to do the same for her:wubclub:

My situation and feelings exactly. I would hope to get her here as first option but realise that may not be practical or what she wants. If she needed my care I would go.