Moving back to Scotland and need a bank account

duffer34

Hi Guys,

I move back to Scotland at the end of the year and would like to set up an account from Australia. Currently bank with Wespac and HSBC here and HSBC wanted $200 to set up my uk account. I will also be transferring circa $25K.

Anyone got any advice for me as i get back in December and would like to have a card to use when i arrive

thanks in advance

Nick

Hi Guys,

I move back to Scotland at the end of the year and would like to set up an account from Australia. Currently bank with Wespac and HSBC here and HSBC wanted $200 to set up my uk account. I will also be transferring circa $25K.

Anyone got any advice for me as i get back in December and would like to have a card to use when i arrive

If HSBC are actually able to set up an account, I'd pay them to do it. I tried to get an account set up from Australia and was told that new banking regulations prohibit that.

I got an account when I arrived in the UK, with Barclays, but I had to wait over a week to get an appointment and then another week or so to get the card.

I had a quick look at this web site and see Aussies can expect to pay $85 to $195, and other nationalities 35 euros, so whoever you use is going to charge you to open an account?

http://www.workgateways.com/moving-uk/uk-bank-accounts#SetUp

What about taking one of those bank travel debit cards with you - I can't remember what they are called? ANZ sent me a letter once recommending I take one on holiday as you have your predetermined amount of money on it, or travellers cheques, until you have set up your UK bank account. I recommend Smile (Co-Op Bank) because it is the one I used. It is an internet account offering everything you need, with low costs. Travel cards!

http://www.canstar.com.au/travel-money-cards/compare-travel-money-cards/

Don't close your Aussie bank account either, as you might need it for, say paying in refunds from the ATO. I don't know your circumstances, but I have income from the UK to transfer to Australia, so I need accounts in both countries.

Hi Guys,

thanks in advance

Nick

You may need to pay the money or wait until you get to the UK. UK banks are by wary of opening accounts for non residents. Your Australian account will work perfectly well for the short term whilst you do that.

Sorry forgot to add i have a poor credit rating due to a voluntary re-possession on my UK home a few years ago when i lost my job and my tenants decided to do a runner

Even more reason to wait until you get back.

Guest Guest109139
Sorry forgot to add i have a poor credit rating due to a voluntary re-possession on my UK home a few years ago when i lost my job and my tenants decided to do a runner

Barclays does basic cash accounts for people who were made bankrupt in the UK (no overdraft or credit cards though), you could give them a try.

• 2 months later...

There's a new bank launching soon in the UK that looks like it allows accounts to be setup from abroad - might be worth a look once they're up and running? https://www.monese.com/

I've opened a € denominated one with Number26 (no fee on card use abroad), but Monese seem to be saying they'll offer dual-currency accounts in £/€ so might not need that going forward!

Archived