189 EOI points calculation for experience

Hello,

I have an experience of 3 years 4 months in my own firm as a Proprietor. Along with this, I have a year's experience as a Chartered Accountant. This total makes it 4 years 4 months. Along with this, I have worked around 2 years 8 months as an intern/article where the pay was stipend(and not salary) i.e. negligible like Rs.2000 per month. So the total exceeds 5 years in this case.

My consultant has told me that since in the internship I have received some money, then the same is countable however meager it may be. However, I'm not sure if he is correct. Can you please confirm if all the 3 work experiences are countable? I've heard CO's are strict and they do reduce experience as per their own methods. In some cases they also reject the application is what I've heard.

Hello,

I have an experience of 3 years 4 months in my own firm as a Proprietor. Along with this, I have a year's experience as a Chartered Accountant. This total makes it 4 years 4 months. Along with this, I have worked around 2 years 8 months as an intern/article where the pay was stipend(and not salary) i.e. negligible like Rs.2000 per month. So the total exceeds 5 years in this case.

My consultant has told me that since in the internship I have received some money, then the same is countable however meager it may be. However, I'm not sure if he is correct. Can you please confirm if all the 3 work experiences are countable? I've heard CO's are strict and they do reduce experience as per their own methods. In some cases they also reject the application is what I've heard.

There have been cases when an applicant has had their experience downgraded due to not being 'qualified' for a certain portion of the years that they have claimed.

If you think that this may be applicable to you then it may be worth seeing if there is a way to increase your points to allow a buffer zone if you do lose some of your experience points. Ways to do this vary but the easiest way is to improve on your English language testing (such as IELTS or PTE) (providing that is, that you aren't already claiming 20 points for English language ability). As long as you ensure that you will pass the points test (60 or above) if you do lose some (or all) of the employment experience.

It is good that you've asked this question as there are a lot of people that are in your situation and have worries. There are several migration agents on this forum, so hopefully one of them may see this and be able to give you an opinion on this.

My consultant has told me that since in the internship I have received some money, then the same is countable however meager it may be. However, I'm not sure if he is correct.

It isn't.

Was your consultant a registered migration agent?

Details of my Internship/Articleship:

In our Chartered Accountacy Course, we have to complete 3 years of internship. In our time, the Internship would commence after we have completed 2 of the 3 levels of Chartered Accountancy. Also, by then I had completed 2 of the first 3 years of my Bachelor in Commerce. There was hardly anything new in the last level of both CA and BCom. It was almost the same that we'd been taught earlier but at an advanced level. So I believe I would have completed almost all areas of the Skills Asssessment even if I was assessed at that stage. So logically speaking the Internship should count towards my work experience. Also, it was paid(though the amount was very small comparatively).

Are you sure that the Internship/Articleship is not counted towards work experience? If yes, do you have any links to articles or any arguments in your favour?

If you can get 65 points without experience, why bother risking your application with taking your experience into account?

Why take a risk when you don't have to?

Whatever you claimed on your EOI, you should include in your application. If you claimed experience on your EOI that you are not sure you can now claim, then wait for your EOI to expire and re-apply with a points total you know you can definitely claim.

If you can get 65 points without experience, why bother risking your application with taking your experience into account?

Why take a risk when you don't have to?

Whatever you claimed on your EOI, you should include in your application. If you claimed experience on your EOI that you are not sure you can now claim, then wait for your EOI to expire and re-apply with a points total you know you can definitely claim.

I have already put in an EOI with 75 points. Should I cancel it? What if I get an invitation? I have clearly mentioned on my EOI for different work experiences like:

1) Company name: Proprietorship

2) Company name: Job

3) Company name: Internship/Articleship

I have not tried to hide anything. I wouldn't mind if they disallow my Internship and Proprietorship since even then I would score 65 points. But I don't want to be in a scenario where they reject my proposal for giving false points. What should I do?

I have already put in an EOI with 75 points. Should I cancel it? What if I get an invitation? I have clearly mentioned on my EOI for different work experiences like:

1) Company name: Proprietorship

2) Company name: Job

3) Company name: Internship/Articleship

I have not tried to hide anything. I wouldn't mind if they disallow my Internship and Proprietorship since even then I would score 65 points. But I don't want to be in a scenario where they reject my proposal for giving false points. What should I do?

I would certainly cancel it or change it if that is technically possible. As soon as possible and before you get an invite, otherwise you have to wait for that to lapse. It is idiocy to claim tenuous work experience points when you already have 65 points! Overstating points leads to visa refusals.

I would certainly cancel it or change it if that is technically possible. As soon as possible and before you get an invite, otherwise you have to wait for that to lapse. It is idiocy to claim tenuous work experience points when you already have 65 points! Overstating points leads to visa refusals.

Thanks! I've already told my agent to remove the articleship experience. With this now I will have 70 points rather than 75 points.

Is 70 a good score though? If I change my application today will I not stand in the bottom of the queue for 70 points because my date of EOI will then be 4th July? How are my chances for getting an invite on Monday? Will I be given a priority over the ones with 60-65 points who have applied in June?

Is 70 a good score though? If I change my application today will I not stand in the bottom of the queue for 70 points because my date of EOI will then be 4th July? How are my chances for getting an invite on Monday? Will I be given a priority over the ones with 60-65 points who have applied in June?

You don't need 70 points, you need 60, there is very little benefit in claiming more points than you need. Personally I would remove all work experience if you have 65 without any. You are just giving the CO more things to check and perhaps find fault with..

You don't need 70 points, you need 60, there is very little benefit in claiming more points than you need. Personally I would remove all work experience if you have 65 without any. You are just giving the CO more things to check and perhaps find fault with..

Yes but is highly unlikely that a person with 60 points(or even 65 points) will get an invite in the 'Accountants' category at least in the first invitation round since there is too much competition. The Accountants category is going to work pro rata since the ceiling is about 45% of what it was last year and the demand even more.

Yes but is highly unlikely that a person with 60 points(or even 65 points) will get an invite in the 'Accountants' category at least in the first invitation round since there is too much competition. The Accountants category is going to work pro rata since the ceiling is about 45% of what it was last year and the demand even more.

So what if it isn't the first invitation round? There will be another round shortly thereafter. These visas take no time these days.

You've been given good information here. Better wait to get an invite in the following rounds than get banned from applying for a visa for three years because you knowingly over claimed (in order to get an invitation faster).

Check your migration agents credentials, he/she has given you the wrong information, wrussell is a registered migration agent and is highly experienced. He said that your internship is not counted so id take that as fact if I were you, without asking for evidence. Alternatively, you can get a second opinion from a registered migration agent, but this time ensure that they are registered. I fear that your agent is not registered as I cannot find them on the MARA website.

Hello,

Didn't you received your skill assessment before submitting an EOI? From the assessment it should be clear how many years of experience you can claim.

So what if it isn't the first invitation round? There will be another round shortly thereafter. These visas take no time these days.

Didn't you received your skill assessment before submitting an EOI? From the assessment it should be clear how many years of experience you can claim.

No it wouldn't. Accountant skills assessments do not detail work experience to be claimed.

• 2 months later...

I have recently Filed my EOI with 60 Points under Accountant Category.

I got my work experience assessed from CPA Australia and they considered my post qualification experience which is more than 3 years but less then 5 years.

I am a Chartered Accountant from India. Can I put my articleship period of 3 years in my EOI ? that will more my work ex more den 5 years therefore my points will be 65. I have the letter of completion from ICAI for the same. But in CPA Australia assessment its only post qualification experience that has been counted.

Please advice what can be done.

thanks

Archived