When to contact schools!

Jilldesp

Hi we r due to emigrate at the beginning of Sept and wondering if I shud be starting to contact local schools? I'm not sure if I wud need an address first but obviously, won't b renting until we arrive. Do the schools need an address? We have narrowed down r search for areas but not sure hiw close to tge school we will have to b to get in!

any help greatly appreciated thanks x

I think State Schools will take you tomorrow if you are in catchment, however private schools may have a very long waiting list, so the sooner you apply the better. That said, you may not want to sort a school out until you've actually secured a rental where you want to live.

We are arriving in October and going into temporary holiday accommodation until we find a rental. Only once we know for sure where we will be living will we apply to a school.

We are paying a $100 fee to a private school in an area near to where we want for our 3 children, this will secure them a place. However, we will decide on schools once we arrive and we know where we will be living. The private school will be our insurance!

We don't move until next year but from our activation trip we know the school we want the kids to go to. I contacted them and they said just to get in touch when we have 3 forms of ID with our residential address showing we live in the catchment area, therefore the kids could have quite a wait until they start school.n

I found it v useful to join Facebook groups for mums in Brisbane before I arrived so that I could canvas opinion on schools. I then narrowed our search area and choose 2 schools - 1 private 1 state and contacted them both. In the end went for Catholic private as we are a Catholic family and school is fantastic. Secured place from UK which was great because I could show the kids on Google street view exactly where they were going. Choice of school influenced rental location.

Be warned the uniforms are pricey whether state or private and everyone has to buy their own books etc. Spent about $1000 for 2 kids and bought the minimum. Some things you can get from Target but the shirts are school specific.

Kids have settled in fantastically well and think it is netter than their school in UK which is huge relief. Only 20 kids to a class.

Good luck.

I contacted a number of private schools here before we left and built up a rapport with them both by email and by phone (usually confirmed the time I was going to ring by email first though). Didn't have to pay any fees to register my son at any of them.

He actually liked a Catholic school we hadn't even considered. That's about $6000 a year, so much cheaper than the UK. Lots of the privates have bus routes and the train is always loaded with kids travelling to their school at certain times.

But out if you get a decent state school, and live in the catchment, you will be able to go there.

Thanks to everyone for your responses, they were really helpful. We have narrowed some schools down and have ideas of where to rent but it's difficult to know for sure until we get there! I might make contact with the schools to ensure where the catchment areas r fir each!

Cheers and good luck to u all x