Holidaying in the US/Canada

HappyHeart

I know lots of members have been to the US/Canada and trying to think about logistics if we were to plan a trip.

If we wanted to take in East and West (so Oregon then New York) where is best to fly from and to first?

I thought hotels would be cheaper in the US but a quick google search suggests otherwise....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a MASSIVE convert to VRBO for accommodation (vrbo.com). If you're staying in one place for a few days it's much better than hotels, just watch for the cleaning fees they stick in there. I've done most of my travel on the West coast, you don't have much choice but to fly to LA. Hire a car and drive up Interstate 5 which takes you through Shasta, Crater Lake, up the Cascades Range and eventually Seattle; it's way more interesting than the coastal road. Don't bother trying to drive through the central bit; it's flat and boring, just dump the car and fly to NY.

Currently organising my 2017 holiday to Utah and Wyoming. Can't believe how much there is to do there - providing you like rocks.

Some routes are strange ... flying from New Orleans to Orlando we have to go to Houston first. We've sometimes booked with airlines directly, sometimes through orbitz etc., hotels - we've booked directly or though sites such as hotel club.

I don't think there's a particularly right way to do it .. but it may depend on if there's something you particularly want to do or see ... eg I wanted to start our next holiday off in NYC - but we've had to reverse the trip because of when the Christmas Tree lights get switched on.

Guest The Pom Queen

We flew to LA it was cheapest from over this side of Oz, $1200 with virgin. We then flew business class for $80 to Vegas again with virgin. Internal flights are a lot cheaper over there, well they were when we went.

Re accommodation it varies area to area, downtown LA was around $250 per night, when we went to Vegas it was $25 per night, obviously you can spend more. In Hollywood we rented an apartment it was lovely and half the price of hotels. We didn't book anything until we arrived so that if we didn't like an area we could move on.

I know lots of members have been to the US/Canada and trying to think about logistics if we were to plan a trip.

If we wanted to take in East and West (so Oregon then New York) where is best to fly from and to first?

I thought hotels would be cheaper in the US but a quick google search suggests otherwise....

Depending on which Aus city you fly from then, on non-stop flights you are looking at Los Angeles, San Fransisco or Vancouver. Not knowing how much time you have but there is so much to see on the West coast, we did 2 weeks last October basically a round circle trip La to San Fran but still missed out on things we would have liked. I also agree with the other poster that taking the inland route or the coast route is the way to go, the central road is so bland. If it's just cities you wish to see then I would fly, there are some sorts of ticket (pass) you can buy which gives several internal flights, but some one else may know better on this.

During our 2 weeks last year we only pre booked 3 hotels and just winged the rest with only a problem on 1 night, some sort of convention going on, talking of which, during the planning stage we found out that there are quite a lot of conventions going on in San Fran, so we changed our plans to avoid a 60,000 gathering, thus hotels were then cheaper and more readily available, so it may be a good bet to google up conventions for your intended cities/towns.