Torn Between Working Holiday visa and 189!?!? PLEASE HELP

neilwilliams1987

Hi guys,

my wife and i are coming out to Perth in the near future (Hopefully) we are torn between

coming over firstly on a working holiday visa then applying for the 189 as soon as were over

With a bridging visa, or stayigg here in sunny scotland and waiting on the 189 right away.

im a plumber and she is a hairsresser we both have Vetassess skills assessments passsed.

any thoughts??

please help

thanks guys!

If it was me I'd always want the security of a PR visa...but as we all know they aren't easy to come by....if you meet visa criteria perfectly and think you'll get 189 then that would personally be my way to go...in my opinion it will help job wise just because you can then commit to longer than 6 months with one employer.

Get your 189 in first then go over on a WHV. Then you can be in Aus and wait for your 189 to be granted.

Doesnt a visa application get 'overruled' by any subsequent visa application?.... Meaning if you applied for a 189 then we're awarded a WHV... the 189 would be cancelled?..... I know there's something like that which applies so check it out first.....I don't know how it works I could be wrong but definitely check x

Doesnt a visa application get 'overruled' by any subsequent visa application?.... Meaning if you applied for a 189 then we're awarded a WHV... the 189 would be cancelled?..... I know there's something like that which applies so check it out first.....I don't know how it works I could be wrong but definitely check x

It gets overruled by subsequent grants not application, so if the 189 was granted whilst WHV is pending, the minute the WHV was granted it would invalidate the 189.

But I imagine the 189 takes a while longer to be granted than a whv

Hi guys,

my wife and i are coming out to Perth in the near future (Hopefully) we are torn between

coming over firstly on a working holiday visa then applying for the 189 as soon as were over

With a bridging visa, or stayigg here in sunny scotland and waiting on the 189 right away.

im a plumber and she is a hairsresser we both have Vetassess skills assessments passsed.

any thoughts??

please help

thanks guys!

Do you want to emigrate or just try it out for now? If you are not sure about moving, then the WHV might be a good idea. But if you do want to move permanently, then to be honest I would just wait, enjoy your last months in the UK and make the most of it. It doesn't take that long to get a skilled migrant visa these days and I doubt it would get to the point of a bridging visa anyway.

Hi guys,

any thoughts??

please help

thanks guys!

I'd definitely suggest getting your 189 visa if you're actually thinking of staying here long term and working in your professions. My partner and I are here on WHVs and trying to get our 189. He's been lucky enough to get a job in his field for now but he has to leave pretty soon due to the WHV restriction which means that you can only work for one employer for 6 months. I think he'll struggle to get another engineering position, and I haven't been able to get any work as a lawyer at all; I've just been doing temp admin work - which isn't even that much easier to get! We're desperately waiting for a decision on our PR visa as it's a lot tougher than it used to be coming here on a WHV (I was here on my first one just 4 years ago and got work so much easier). That's my opinion anyway...it might have a lot to do with the fact that my first WHV was spent in Sydney, whereas I'm in Perth for my second one. What's made you decide on Perth? Good luck, whatever you go for!

It's also worth noting that the SOL changes July 1st 2015. So best waiting till then before you make any decisions, as your trade may not be on there after that date.

https://consult.industry.gov.au/skilled-occupations-list-team/2015-16-sol-submission-page

Sorry to thread hijack, but does anyone here know what happens , if your occupation drops of the list after you've already submitted your application?

Sorry to thread hijack, but does anyone here know what happens , if your occupation drops of the list after you've already submitted your application?

I have been reliably informed that regardless of what happens on 1st July, occupation removed from SOL being an example, any applications currently in the system will be processed as normal. I had the same thought and had a bit of a panic about it too!!

Archived