BA flight to Sydney via singapore

partnership

Anyone used this flight? Just wondering how long we are in Singapore for, do you have to get off plane, is there somewhere nearby to wait etc. Also has anyone flown premium economy with BA and if so what are the best seats? Is the duty free near as i know you can't get duty free in Heathrow.

Thanks

Yes I have done this route. And yes you will need to get off the plane and clear security again to get back on, but if it is a single flight number then it will be the same plane so you won't have to navigate the whole airport. If it is the single flight number then the break might be two hours or so, but it could be anything depending on what exactly you select.

I have flown premium economy with BA a couple of times some years ago, I don't think there are any seats that are particularly better than any others, not as far as I recall anyway.

It is very difficult to buy duty free liquid and take it on a plane to Australia. In theory, you can persuade the merchant to deliver it to the plane but in practice I have never been able to manage it.

I have flown premium economy once with BA on a 747. It was pleasant; the seat had plenty of legroom but was basically an economy seat (i.e. no lie-flat or clam shell casing) and the meal was economy but served on a plate. You should be aware that you can get duty free in Australia on arrival - it is not a great selection but the prices are slightly cheaper than in Australian shops. I would do my research on prices and buy my alcohol allowance in the UK and pack it in my hold luggage.

They will sell duty free on the plane from a trolley, but it is only worth their while to carry light things - bottles of alcohol are not going to be bargains if they are available at all. I can't find a list of inbound duty free but it is just popular brands priced where a litre bottle is broadly the same price as a 70l bottle in the shops. The real killer is that you arrive in Australia after a long flight and you tend to just want to get through passport control and move on without worrying about shopping. If you are a smoker, you would save substantially buying in Singapore and I think you can take the cigarettes onto a plane, but the personal allowance is very small.

Thanks Quinkla - I was aware you could buy in sydney - is there a link to where you can see what is available and prices? Do they sell it ont he plane?

http://www.heinemanndutyfree.com.au/sydney_en/

You can buy in Singapore...but you cannot take the liquids directly from the duty free shop to the plane yourself...they must be delivered to the gate and picked up by you there. While this is all very well organised in SIN on a short connection this might all be a bit too difficult.

Thanks bungo - it is a single flight number. Is the premium economy worth it, what is the food like?

There is nothing memorable about the food, it could well be the same as economy for all I can recall.

Personally, yes I think premium economy is worth it, that is because I like the extra legroom and personal space, which is what it provides. It is a long way from business class, but then so is the price.

Is premium economy worth it? It depends how much money means to you, and also depends how much the price differential is over economy.The only real point of difference is slightly more legroom. For an extra 33% I would say go for premium economy - for an extra 50% I would say it is very marginal - and for more than that I wouldn't consider it. So that means, if you are buying early and can get the deep discounts in economy, premium economy would not be worth it. But if you buy at the last minute and get quoted high prices for economy, you might as well pay a little bit more for the upgrade.

Is premium economy worth it? It depends how much money means to you, and also depends how much the price differential is over economy.The only real point of difference is slightly more legroom. For an extra 33% I would say go for premium economy - for an extra 50% I would say it is very marginal - and for more than that I wouldn't consider it. So that means, if you are buying early and can get the deep discounts in economy, premium economy would not be worth it. But if you buy at the last minute and get quoted high prices for economy, you might as well pay a little bit more for the upgrade.

...and not all premium economies are created equal! BA World Traveller Plus is decidedly on the 'meh' end of the scale, whereas Qantas premium economy is much, much better.

...and not all premium economies are created equal! BA World Traveller Plus is decidedly on the 'meh' end of the scale, whereas Qantas premium economy is much, much better.

Yes - my pricing was based on BA premium economy. I think Air New Zealand, for example, has a much better product that I might pay more for.

I have been looking at flights for when we leave the UK later this year. BA are far more expensive than Emirates and Singapore airlines and after flying with them I wouldn't go back to BA as they code share with Quantas on the 2nd leg and that wasn't a positive experience!

I have been looking at flights for when we leave the UK later this year. BA are far more expensive than Emirates and Singapore airlines and after flying with them I wouldn't go back to BA as they code share with Quantas on the 2nd leg and that wasn't a positive experience!

My experience from flying premium economy last year with BA has put me off them for life. I flew Brisbane-Singapore-London. First leg to Singapore was actually pretty good but that was a code share with a Qantas plane, the rest of the experience was pretty average.

Worst though was that on my return a few weeks later we were informed Qantas no longer flew a premium economy flight from Singapore to Brisbane so we were downgraded to economy. After over a year of correspondence and arbitration by the CAA I'm still waiting for compensation for paying a premium for a seat which I never received - seems like BA can take your money for a premium/business/first class ticket, stick you in economy and walk off with your money.

Eddy

My experience from flying premium economy last year with BA has put me off them for life. I flew Brisbane-Singapore-London. First leg to Singapore was actually pretty good but that was a code share with a Qantas plane, the rest of the experience was pretty average.

Worst though was that on my return a few weeks later we were informed Qantas no longer flew a premium economy flight from Singapore to Brisbane so we were downgraded to economy. After over a year of correspondence and arbitration by the CAA I'm still waiting for compensation for paying a premium for a seat which I never received - seems like BA can take your money for a premium/business/first class ticket, stick you in economy and walk off with your money.

Eddy

Update on the last post. Unbelievably just received an email from the Civil Aviation Authority (maybe they read the forum :D ) who contacted BA on our behalf saying that BA won't pay compensation for the downgrade because it was a code share, just the difference in cost between Premium Economy and Economy. The difference they calculate as $77... Well, if I can get an upgrade on an international flight for $77 I'll fly BA for the rest of my life. W@nkers.

Eddy

Guest littlesarah

My MIL flew BA PE last year, despite my having previously told her that the new BA PE probably wasn't worth paying the extra for. Her itinerary included a Qantas flight to Singapore followed by BA to Heathrow. She was really disappointed with BA, and very impressed with Qantas. I did point out that if she'd booked QF the whole way she'd have paid another $800, but hey...

Anyway, with BA all you really get is more leg room and a fold down foot rest thingy. The food etc is the same as economy. I definitely wouldn't pay to fly PE with BA.

I travel to Europe regularly for training and the BA 15/16 tends to be the quickest, (I can get out on the Friday night and be home on Sunday morning) but is very mediocre i terms of service. The stopover is around 1 hour ish, about enough time to get into the lounge for a shower and drink before boarding again.

If i'm not in such a rush, I tend to take fly Emirates/Qantas, although means I get home on the Sunday PM.

Archived