TIme interval between visa granted and date of entry

Ali Andrew

Hello Everyone,

I found this forum very useful and all users help eachother. I have a question regarding PR visa. What is the usual time given after any immigration visa is granted and the time of entry? Is the person given a month or two to report initial entry to Australia or is this time in days?

Appreciate quick replies in advance.

Thanks.

Ali.

I believe it's 12 months after the earliest of (a) medical exams and (b) police certificate date.

This is why a lot of people apply for a visa, and wait for a CO to ask them for (a) and (b), so that they get more time for initial entry.

I've never heard of any entry dates that close to the grant date. I did read a post where the visa holder was given a month, but generally they're at least 2 months+. If it's a concern, I'd suggest you wait until you are asked to provide the police and health checks in order to give you the maximum amount of time. And remember, the validation trip can be a simple flight to Australia, clear Customs and get on the next flight home.

Is it posaible that your visa grant date is 20th Of a month and enter before date is 26 of same month? Has anyone faced a situation where you were only given a week to enter Australia?

Not a concern actually. Its what has happened and looking for some serious advice and help what to do.[/QUoTE]

It is 5 June today. If you or anyone else has a visa granted on the 20th of a month that required entry by 26th of that month, it has already gone past its validity. A new visa would be required.

So you have to go through the whole process again and wait like before to have a CO assigned, do medicals and police report and then you get the visa?

If your visa has expired then yes, that it what you have to do.

If DIBP has given someone 6 days to validate their visa, I think the visa holder would be in a good position to apply for an extension due to the inability to make reasonable travel arrangements in such a short period. I'd contact a migration agent to get some assistance in making an application to DIBP. My understanding is that these extensions are generally given only in very limited circumstances (e.g. medical emergency that meant the visa holder was unfit to travel, etc.) but for a 6-day validation window I think you could put together a good argument that it wasn't a reasonable period of time.

If DIBP has given someone 6 days to validate their visa, I think the visa holder would be in a good position to apply for an extension due to the inability to make reasonable travel arrangements in such a short period.

On edit - I have looked for other examples of this. The best I can find is that if you do not enter Australia by the due date, you are in breach of the visa conditions and consideration would be given to cancelling it. That indicates, at least, that there is some human intervention. Therefore, contacting the High Commission asap to plead the case would be sensible. They may well ask why the issue is only being raised now, a couple of weeks (presumably) after the due date and not when the visa was first received. It would be good to have an answer for that. If there is any possibility that they will be generous they will also probably ask when you would be able to validate the visa. It would be good to have an answer for this, too (probably thinking days rather than weeks).

Good luck.

Archived