Hi,

My partner and I want to apply for a 820 partner visa (he has a PR) but we both have had partners in the past on our separate visas.

He sponsored his now ex-partner when he arrived here in 2009 and again when they went through the PR process which was granted in Aug 2013. They broke up shortly after and she has since moved back to the UK.

I sponsored my now ex-partner on my Temporary Resident visa which expired in Sept 2014. My ex and I split in Oct 2013 but I did not inform immigration of this split.

My current partner and I have been living together since June 2014 and now want to lodge a 820 partner sponsored visa but was wondering if our past relationships will reflect badly on this application?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Your previous relationshp is certainly a problem because as far as immigration are concerned you were with somebody else up until September 2014. So you could not have been defacto (which means exclusive amongst other things) with current partner since June 2014 and hence y don't have a year's relationship.

As for your partner, I think it is only one sponsorship every five years, but note that including somebody on an application for is not the same as sponsorship.mmso what visa did he apply for and what about his ex partner?

Hi,

My partner and I want to apply for a 820 partner visa (he has a PR) but we both have had partners in the past on our separate visas.

He sponsored his now ex-partner when he arrived here in 2009 and again when they went through the PR process which was granted in Aug 2013. They broke up shortly after and she has since moved back to the UK.

I sponsored my now ex-partner on my Temporary Resident visa which expired in Sept 2014. My ex and I split in Oct 2013 but I did not inform immigration of this split.

My current partner and I have been living together since June 2014 and now want to lodge a 820 partner sponsored visa but was wondering if our past relationships will reflect badly on this application?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

'sponsoring' your previous partners does not include having them as a dependent on a skills visa.

What visas were you and your current partner on when you moved here? Especially in your case you can't have 'sponsored' your previous partner on a temp visa - included them as a dependent partner maybe, but not sponsored them.

As for the 12 months relationship/cohabitation requirement. Bungo has already pointed out that the dates may be a problem, and that could be the case, but I would suggest talking to an agent If you were in an exclusive relationship with your new partner it may count - even if you were still living under the same roof as your previous one. Its not impossible, just takes work and a good agent. Yu can after all get a divorce while living under the same roof, as long as you are living separate lives. This is based on advice given to me by a very good agent a few years ago when I was in a similar postion. My partner and i didn't go down that road in the end, but certainly worth a consultation.

'sponsoring' your previous partners does not include having them as a dependent on a skills visa.

What visas were you and your current partner on when you moved here? Especially in your case you can't have 'sponsored' your previous partner on a temp visa - included them as a dependent partner maybe, but not sponsored them.

As for the 12 months relationship/cohabitation requirement. Bungo has already pointed out that the dates may be a problem, and that could be the case, but I would suggest talking to an agent If you were in an exclusive relationship with your new partner it may count - even if you were still living under the same roof as your previous one. Its not impossible, just takes work and a good agent. Yu can after all get a divorce while living under the same roof, as long as you are living separate lives. This is based on advice given to me by a very good agent a few years ago when I was in a similar postion. My partner and i didn't go down that road in the end, but certainly worth a consultation.

Nemesis are right, I think I did have to add him as a 'dependent' on my visa applications. I moved here originally on a student visa and after that transferred us on to my skilled graduate 485 visa. My ex and I ceased living together in Oct 2013 and split our savings but like I said I didn't tell immigration of the split. I did have a look at the letter granting the 485 and there are no obligations listed to report relationship changes. Of course now I wish I had. I am currently on a 457 but will be made redundant in a few weeks so am looking for other visa options.

My current partner and his ex came here on his 457 visa which they then rolled into a 186. He has recently been approved for citizenship but has yet to attend the ceremony. Does that sound like he 'sponsored' he ex or was she a 'dependent' as well??

Nemesis are right, I think I did have to add him as a 'dependent' on my visa applications. I moved here originally on a student visa and after that transferred us on to my skilled graduate 485 visa. My ex and I ceased living together in Oct 2013 and split our savings but like I said I didn't tell immigration of the split. I did have a look at the letter granting the 485 and there are no obligations listed to report relationship changes. Of course now I wish I had. I am currently on a 457 but will be made redundant in a few weeks so am looking for other visa options.

My current partner and his ex came here on his 457 visa which they then rolled into a 186. He has recently been approved for citizenship but has yet to attend the ceremony. Does that sound like he 'sponsored' he ex or was she a 'dependent' as well??

Neither of those are Spouse Visas, so in neither case was the partner 'sponsored' .In both cases the partner was just a dependent on the main visa. You can safely ignore that issue!

Neither of those are Spouse Visas, so in neither case was the partner 'sponsored' .In both cases the partner was just a dependent on the main visa. You can safely ignore that issue!

Thanks for your help Nemesis. I have been looking into it and think you are right :)

I guess now my main concern is having my ex on my old visa until sept 2014. If I had told immigration would they have made him leave the country? Or would he still be able to stay for the duration of that visa?

If I had told immigration would they have made him leave the country? Or would he still be able to stay for the duration of that visa?

I wouldn't worry about that. The key issue is whether or not you had an obligation to inform DIBP of the change in relationship status. I don't know the answer - a migration agent should know that, but you'd have to pay for the advice. If you had an obligation to notify them then you would be ill advused to claim the period of separattion against your current relationship. But if there was no obligation to notif them then you could merrily claim all that time for your current relationship.

Archived