30yr wait for parent visas?

toOZ2012

I was looking up parent visa information for a friend and the immi site says it can take up to 30 years for an application to be finalized. I played with the queue calculator and I could find queue dates till Oct 2013 (played around this date based on the status e-mail from PVC). It says there are approximately 20k subclass 103 applicants waiting to be finalized. Which is like a 16 year wait, assuming ?1200 places are allocated to 103 applicants.

For sublcass 804 there are ~3k applicants as of Aug,2014. Which is a 10 year wait if ?300 places are allocated to 804 applicants.

How are the 1500 places/year split between 103 and 804 visas?

For people lodging applications now - is the 30 year wait just a scare tactic or a forward estimate based on the rush of applications shortly before the repeal and after it was reinstated?

Apply for the CPV they don't take nearly as long and it's what most parents do. The government closed the non contributory parent visa last year but then re-opened it but it may well be in their sights again - that'd be a forward estimate I should think.

Unfortunately not everyone can afford a contributory parent visa. My parents are fortunate enough to be able to pay for it without worrying much but quite a few can't.

A question arises on how they'll financially mange after his mom gets here but that's his problem to worry about and not my place to suggest otherwise. His dad passed away recently and being the only child it's either his mom coming over or him going back. Sad.

The other option is applying for a non-contributory parent visa and get a long stay visit visa and keep going out of the country every 12 months and maybe his finance will get better in a few years and then switch to a contributory parent visa and all the time waited will count towards it.

The parent is not the only one who can pay for it....the child can. It's the cost of a good car or a three year Bachelors degree in HECS. Yes it's a sacrifice but if you really want your parent to come live with you, you will be prepared to make that sacrifice if your parent cannot pay for it themselves.

Apply for the CPV they don't take nearly as long and it's what most parents do. The government closed the non contributory parent visa last year but then re-opened it but it may well be in their sights again - that'd be a forward estimate I should think.

I'm not expecting the non Contributory Parent visas to be closed off again while the Senate is as presently constituted ... but you can never be certain with things of a political nature ...

Best regards.

The parent is not the only one who can pay for it....the child can. It's the cost of a good car or a three year Bachelors degree in HECS. Yes it's a sacrifice but if you really want your parent to come live with you, you will be prepared to make that sacrifice if your parent cannot pay for it themselves.

You seem to have missed the point in my second post. He is the kind of guy who would leave everything and go stay close to mom, if he has to. He is in bad financial position at the moment and his job isn't paying much either. Banks won't lend that kind of money for someone who is in a situation like his.

I'm not expecting the non Contributory Parent visas to be closed off again while the Senate is as presently constituted ... but you can never be certain with things of a political nature ...

Best regards.

Even if they did, they wouldn't cancel current applications would they?

You seem to have missed the point in my second post. He is the kind of guy who would leave everything and go stay close to mom, if he has to. He is in bad financial position at the moment and his job isn't paying much either. Banks won't lend that kind of money for someone who is in a situation like his.

Doesn't sound like bringing another financially strapped person to add to the burden is much of a good idea either - frozen pensions, costs for medical coverage and the uncertainty of medical coverage etc. It's a bugger being an only child! I'm back caring for my olds now - best solution all round for us.

Doesn't sound like bringing another financially strapped person to add to the burden is much of a good idea either - frozen pensions, costs for medical coverage and the uncertainty of medical coverage etc. It's a bugger being an only child! I'm back caring for my olds now - best solution all round for us.

You probably had to sacrifice your life here to go back to care for your folks. It's good to see that people still care about their parents, getting less and less common in this day and age.

I talked to him this evening and told him about the whole parent visa situation. He was very disappointed. He is considering the long stay visit visa route. The thing is, he'll be financially worse off if he goes back to Singapore where payscales are like half of what he gets here. So, I think he'll stick it out and work out something in the long run.

When people experience hardship, as long as they aren't completely broken by it, they usually come out stronger. Hope things will work out.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.