deciding whether to bring our dog

RebeccaMatt

Pets are a huge commitment, a lifetime responsibility.

Personally I would take the dog, however, you also have to consider if you want to go back you will have the same problem.

Having said that I can understand that if there is family, who the dogs knows and loves and they love the dog, the option of leaving with family is a reasonable consideration.

My dog is a huge tie but I love him so I accept that. He is 16, I adopted him a couple of years ago when one of my beloved dogs died, now it's just him and me.

Because of the problems being on my own with a dog, and the restrictions it brings to my choices, I am thinking he will be my last dog, time will tell.

Heat and cold are an issue but we adapt, in summer I get up early to take the morning walk, then we get back into the air-conditioning, then another walk in the evening when things have cooled down.

Edited by Country vic

Just reading all your comments as it is a sticking point in our house! My husband, at the start, was like no she's a dog we are not taking her! He is now sitting on the fence and saying we will decide closer to the time! We get very mixed reactions from friends and family. Some say oh u can't leave her while others think it's cruel to take her.

Minnie our 5 year old working cocker spaniel is what I call our dog in a million! No matter how many dogs you have in your life there is always 1 super special one! She is ours. For me I not concerned about the money but more the trauma of the move - the flight, quarantine, being away from us! My husband also says we will be so busy organising stuff when we arrive that we won't have time for her!

We have people fighting over who wants her! She is adored by everyone which makes her even more special! I have no doubt she will very loved and well looked after if we didn't take her!

As far as worrying about kids missing her, they would but they are a fickle creatures! My daughter is already negotiating what she can have in Australia to replace her if we don't take her!!! Even though she fills with tears if her dad even suggests who might have her for us!!!

In our house this is by far the hardest decision of many!!!

Just reading all your comments as it is a sticking point in our house! My husband, at the start, was like no she's a dog we are not taking her! He is now sitting on the fence and saying we will decide closer to the time! We get very mixed reactions from friends and family. Some say oh u can't leave her while others think it's cruel to take her.

Minnie our 5 year old working cocker spaniel is what I call our dog in a million! No matter how many dogs you have in your life there is always 1 super special one! She is ours. For me I not concerned about the money but more the trauma of the move - the flight, quarantine, being away from us! My husband also says we will be so busy organising stuff when we arrive that we won't have time for her!

We have people fighting over who wants her! She is adored by everyone which makes her even more special! I have no doubt she will very loved and well looked after if we didn't take her!

As far as worrying about kids missing her, they would but they are a fickle creatures! My daughter is already negotiating what she can have in Australia to replace her if we don't take her!!! Even though she fills with tears if her dad even suggests who might have her for us!!!

For me, my dog in a million I'd never have left behind, given away or re homed with anyone. Others yes, but not him. Never him. To me, if she is your dog in a million I'd not even be asking the question, just be making plans to take her :) More so if its not about the money and you are able to afford it.

The flight is fine, most cope well with it, quarantine is short, no longer than most people kennel their pets to go away on holiday. Cost, well, some factor it in, others don't, you say its not the concern so :) on that point. Some re home to save the cost. A few I feel genuinely don't bring their pet out of concern for their ability to travel, to adjust. Dogs with a very nervous stressed disposition or serious medical issue. Otherwise it just boils down to getting over shipping them in a crate on a plane for 24 hours and a stint in kennels (in exchange for thousands of pounds of your savings and budgeting it in).

Most dogs are absolutely fine and suffer no adverse effects from the flight or the kennel. Its people that make it so much more in our heads and worry. Dogs live in the moment, they don't fret about whats to come or what has gone on, its just the here and now. Springers are usually happy, resilient dogs and not nervous or stressed generally in their disposition. Thousands of dogs fly to Aus every year and start new lives here along with their owners/families :)

Arrange it well and she can join you a couple of weeks after you arrive and have gotten over the arrival stage. Depending on when you leave, you need to have all the vaccination work up to date, rabies and so on, so don't leave it deciding too close to your move. You need time to get everything in order to be able to ship her when the time comes.

Edited by Guest
added a bit

They take the flying a lot better than people think. The quarantine is only 10 days now. As for being too busy when you land, plenty of people manage it. Other than house hunting, the majority of the organizing can be done in a few days. But, if you are going to take her, you can not leave it till the last minute. It takes months for the rabies vaccine.

What @VERYSTORMY said. We have been here for 6 weeks and put dog Lola joined us 7 days after we landed.

It's all do-able. There are some problems here in Sydney with a dog but you soon learn to find a way around them.

Dogs aren't allowed on public transport here - so we ended up getting a a car quicker than we might have otherwise.

We had no issues getting a rental. They just wanted to know you'll pay the rent (a job will help here)

I'd start getting the jabs now and see the vet. Do the research. You can decide later, but at least you'll be able to sort it as all that jabs stuff takes about 6 months. It costs around £3k

Ours is a springer/lab cross. She was a bit fretful for a few days / weeks but she's ok now. It's the smallest of hassles compared to all the other hassles so I wouldn't worry to much. Your dog will be fine, but you might be stressed! Ha ha

We used golden arrow shippers. They are really old school, but did a great job.

Good luck either way!

Edited by Captain Roberto

I don't understand why you are even thinking of not taking her if she is your dog in a million. When we moved, taking our pets was not even a decision, it was a given. Stop the debate and just start planning her move.

Hi

Best advice i have is to get the rabies work done and then it is in place and set, then you dont have to make any final decisions until further down the line, when you know more about how much money you have got and how serious people are about having her. We run into heaps of stories of people who promise to have pets and then when it comes to the crunch they dont, leaving the owners in a right old pickle.

Get the rabies work done so it is in place and then decide later.

For me, my dog in a million I'd never have left behind, given away or re homed with anyone. Others yes, but not him. Never him. To me, if she is your dog in a million I'd not even be asking the question, just be making plans to take her :) More so if its not about the money and you are able to afford it.

The flight is fine, most cope well with it, quarantine is short, no longer than most people kennel their pets to go away on holiday. Cost, well, some factor it in, others don't, you say its not the concern so :) on that point. Some re home to save the cost. A few I feel genuinely don't bring their pet out of concern for their ability to travel, to adjust. Dogs with a very nervous stressed disposition or serious medical issue. Otherwise it just boils down to getting over shipping them in a crate on a plane for 24 hours and a stint in kennels (in exchange for thousands of pounds of your savings and budgeting it in).

Most dogs are absolutely fine and suffer no adverse effects from the flight or the kennel. Its people that make it so much more in our heads and worry. Dogs live in the moment, they don't fret about whats to come or what has gone on, its just the here and now. Springers are usually happy, resilient dogs and not nervous or stressed generally in their disposition. Thousands of dogs fly to Aus every year and start new lives here along with their owners/families :)

Arrange it well and she can join you a couple of weeks after you arrive and have gotten over the arrival stage. Depending on when you leave, you need to have all the vaccination work up to date, rabies and so on, so don't leave it deciding too close to your move. You need time to get everything in order to be able to ship her when the time comes.

I agree and I can't see me leaving her! My main concern is her welfare! Our best friends have also suggested letting her stay with them until we get settled then they will send her from this end to us. This may be an option just to give us a month or so to get settled.

Hi

Best advice i have is to get the rabies work done and then it is in place and set, then you dont have to make any final decisions until further down the line, when you know more about how much money you have got and how serious people are about having her. We run into heaps of stories of people who promise to have pets and then when it comes to the crunch they dont, leaving the owners in a right old pickle.

Get the rabies work done so it is in place and then decide later.

thank you x how early can you get the rabies work done? Does it have a validity?

I agree and I can't see me leaving her! My main concern is her welfare! Our best friends have also suggested letting her stay with them until we get settled then they will send her from this end to us. This may be an option just to give us a month or so to get settled.

It honestly wont take as long to get settled as you think.

Most of the things you need to do can be arranged from the UK such as bank accounts and admin stuff. The rest is just things like getting tax file numbers which is done on line, medicare which is done in a shopping centre and takes 20 mins to fill the forms in.

Getting a rental is actually easier than you probably think. We arrived in 2008 in the middle of the biggest rental shortage WA has seen. With a dog, oh, and we didn't have transport so had to persuade agents to pick us up and take us to viewings, but even then we were in within 2 weeks and settled.

I would arrange with Bob from Pet Air to do the process for you and get it so she flies maybe 5 days after you. She can then do her 10 days in quarantine meaning you have a couple of weeks to get sorted.

Thanks @very stormy, I don't need to worry about bank account I have had NAB account since I was 14 which regular money is still paid and I have TFN etc... I lived there for 11 years as a PR so that side of things is not worrying me. If anything more the rental side as its years since I have rented and my hubby has never rented as moved straight from his parents into his own home!

Have you had many quotes from companies we have a westie age 8 and thinking of doing it our self all the vets stuff ,dogtainers are the company most pet travels use while picking them up from airports,so I am waiting on quotes for taking from London to Mel then Mel to Perth, I have the paper work for defra for the import and application which is straight forward . Plus regarding money , you have money from when you put your tax form in p800 to claim your tax back what you have paid that year, will help to go towards it too. And also if your sister will have the dog and when you get settled and financially able send for the dog.

Thanks @very stormy, I don't need to worry about bank account I have had NAB account since I was 14 which regular money is still paid and I have TFN etc... I lived there for 11 years as a PR so that side of things is not worrying me. If anything more the rental side as its years since I have rented and my hubby has never rented as moved straight from his parents into his own home!

Its pretty simple.

Research areas you like before you come. Have your renters pack put together before you fly and once here, get on realestate.com.au and start looking at properties and speaking to agents about viewings. Find the one you want, pay your money and move in. I recommend only a 6 month lease initially with the option to extend to make sure the area is right for you.

Most ads will say if they are pet friendly or not, but even if it says no pets, it is still worth a call if it is somewhere you really like.

Its pretty simple.

Research areas you like before you come. Have your renters pack put together before you fly and once here, get on realestate.com.au and start looking at properties and speaking to agents about viewings. Find the one you want, pay your money and move in. I recommend only a 6 month lease initially with the option to extend to make sure the area is right for you.

Most ads will say if they are pet friendly or not, but even if it says no pets, it is still worth a call if it is somewhere you really like.

Thanks! I pretty much do that all the time x I know the suburbs I want and I am constantly on Realestate.com.au and Domain. My family are all north side - wooloowin, kedron, Clayfield and then some out at Warner. So my searches are consisting around northside suburbs. My aunt will also go check any out if I need her too x thanks for the info xxx

If you are taking your dog (I'd never consider leaving mine behind), the best thing you can do is get the dog used to a crate if they are not are already crate trained. This would make the whole experience a much more pleasurable one. My dogs see their crates as their safe den, and will take themselves there if they're unwell or have a sore paw. They are quite content in being locked away in the crate, and as such, I don't believe a long journey in one would be stressful for them. They are calm in their crates.

You also need to make sure they are on top form from a health perspective to get through the journey as well as possible - if they are overweight, put them on diet! If they have health issues, research and make a decision on what is best for the dog.

If you're not prepared to put that sort of effort in to your dog, then in my mind, the dog is probably better off re-homed to a loving home.

Flying with dogs internally is common place in Australia - we take ours on holiday with us. $75/dog/each way and we find dog friendly holiday accommodation (some of which is absolutely gorgeous) makes for a fabulous holiday.

And there are plenty of rentals who allow dogs - as one agent said to me "dogs tend to do far less damage than children" - people are much more geared to it here than in the UK.