Moving 10,000 miles to CAMP!!?? Crazy or not???

Afternoon everyone :)

I was pondering, as one does when waiting for work to start... :(

We're moving to Darwin, end of july (Has been put forward AGAIN!!) but the housing situation is a pain in the ar.......m! ;)

We were going to book 3 weeks holiday accommodation then see if we could find a modest, not too fussy place which I've gathered is no way near enough time but trying to keep costs down, I suggested living at a caravan park/camp site for longer until my husband secures work.

Has anyone been that stupid/crazy/brave to do that???

Much love

Sarah! :D

Well most people will need holiday accommodation for the first few weeks, nothing funny about that, there are holiday parks like these which can offer something fully kitted out for you as you look for a permanent place. http://www.big4.com.au/

I don't think many would do this for an extended time period though, if work has not been secured, it will be necessary to show proof of savings to secure something more permanent.

Guest The Pom Queen

If it was to camp in a tent I would say crazy but in a cabin then why not lots do it. Whilst my eldest did his work experience at the naval base in Darwin we stayed here http://www.darwinfreespiritresort.com.au it was lovely, you would probably need a car though. They do or did longer term rentals that were so much more cheaper than holiday rates. Send them a quick email and find out the cost.

I lived in a caravan for 2 years in Sth Oz!I was pregnant at the time too,and had my eldest daughter in hospital not the van hahahaha)while still living in the van.Ours was big though,I think from memory 38ft?It also had the same length annex attached to it.We placed pallets on the floor of the annex,carpet on top,had a sofa,tv etc in there,and we managed fine.We didn't rent the van though,we brought it,and just paid site fee's which back then were pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
I suggested living at a caravan park/camp site for longer until my husband secures work. Has anyone been that stupid/crazy/brave to do that???

Well I certainly don't consider myself to be stupid or crazy (but I will take the brave as a compliment!).........I lived in a caravan park for six months in a similar situation.

And some people I met there had been living there much longer. I lived in an actual caravan but others were living in tents.

End of July is the dry season; so no problems there either. Would be a totally different situation in the wet.

Some caravan parks offer lodges / cabins / villas / units / which may be better for you than a caravan or tent. Also send an email to the operators / owners, as long term rates are not always advertised.

The Hidden Valley Tourist Park in Berrimah is very close to Darwin CBD and on a bus route. But plenty of others around

Otherwise some motels offer cheaper rates for longer stays.

Edited by jumpingjellybean