What to do after arrival????? Help!

doctdavis

Hey,

I know I saw a checklist floating around here but I can't find it.

I'm looking for advice on what to do after arrival .... day one and so on.

Besides the obvious like get a house and telephone number, more of how to get set up for medicare, do I need a tax number and where to get it.... that type of stuff.

Any and all advice is appreciated. :)

Thanks

You can get a tax number online and you go to your local centrelink to get medicare. Google both for the area you will be in and it will pop up.

Get a mobile with an Oz number - again if you google you will see who has the best deals.

Go to your Centrelink HQ for which ever city you arrive. They will sit down with you to establish your TFN and Medicare account. Take all of your documents with you, passport, visa details etc etc.

Get your Aus drivers license sorted, I did 5 years and about $150 ish. Again photo I'd and address etc needed.

Rental, ASAP and get registured with all local agents and actually get to know them.

Take 2 weeks off and get to know your surroundings. Enjoy as the excitement soon fades a little especially when you start working.

S

Go to your Centrelink HQ for which ever city you arrive. They will sit down with you to establish your TFN and Medicare account. Take all of your documents with you, passport, visa details etc etc.

Get your Aus drivers license sorted, I did 5 years and about $150 ish. Again photo I'd and address etc needed.

Rental, ASAP and get registured with all local agents and actually get to know them.

Take 2 weeks off and get to know your surroundings. Enjoy as the excitement soon fades a little especially when you start working.

S

Great replies guys and thanks for the advice. What do you figure about buying cars? I was thinking put a big chunk down on a car and make payments to start establishing some credit in Australia or am I better off just paying cash and buying outright? Any ideas on the best car in Oz for a family of 6? Pajero, Land Cruiser .... what else?

Great replies guys and thanks for the advice. What do you figure about buying cars? I was thinking put a big chunk down on a car and make payments to start establishing some credit in Australia or am I better off just paying cash and buying outright? Any ideas on the best car in Oz for a family of 6? Pajero, Land Cruiser .... what else?

Problem will be getting a loan on the car if you have not got a job on arrival as you have not got a credit rating yet.

Yes, you can go for the Land Cruiser, Pajero, Kia Carnival, or any of those that have the extra row of seating in them. My daughter has a Carnival, and it is petrol thirsty, so maybe you would be better going for one of the diesel 4 WD's.

Agree with srg73 that you need to take some time to enjoy it when you get here.

Although I love the view of Brisbane I get on my drive into work everyday, it's not quite the same once you get into routine and everyday life. So glad we had time to look around before we started 'real life' here.

Apart from the obvious, like finding somewhere to live, there really isn't that much to do.

You can apply for a TFN online, it is something I did within my first 30 minutes and it took five minutes, I did that quickly as I was starting work two days later.

Next went to the bank to validate bank account which had been opened on line from the UK.

I never set foot in a Centrelink office, I went into a Medicare office to register, but unless you have health issues, there is no need to do this the minute you arrive. You might want to wait until you have your permanent address even, otherwise it is a trip back to change it.

Likewise for your driving licence, we changed ours over after about six weeks once we were settled into our new long term address.

Archived