New to the visa process 189 HELP

Louise Ellis

hi,

this is all new to us and I am just looking for a little guidance.

Does anyone recommend an agent to take you through the visa process or is it best to do it yourself? If an agent any recommendation and rough cost?

the main visa would be my husband, he holds a Degree in QS. I know he needs to get his degree assessed by AIQS, Am I right in thinking it costs $650 for the assessment?

thats all for now and sorry for all the questions.

thanks

Hi,

The cost of the skills assessment sounds about right, just double check who can certify copies of documents needed, I suspect it will probably be a notary public rather than a normal solicitor. I would also get 2 or 3 copies of each of the documents certified.

I am currently using an agent for peace of mind however it is expensive.

Hope that helps

I would recommend doing it yourself, as long as you follow the clear guidelines and requirements for documents there’s really no reason you can’t complete it. Take your time with uploading documents as there's no way to delete something you've uploaded.

Visa is about $5250 for the two of you, skills assessment $500 to $700, medical $300 x2 ish and some for notarizing documents. Probably $7k all in.

You will have to pay for your sons to go on the visa and yes they need medicals too (more basic and cheaper than adult ones) we were looking at using an agent but that alone would have been just over £3000 on top of all the visa costs so have decided to go it alone. There is lots of useful information on here and lots of experienced people who have done the whole thing themselves to offer advice.

Good luck x

hi,

this is all new to us and I am just looking for a little guidance.

Does anyone recommend an agent to take you through the visa process or is it best to do it yourself? If an agent any recommendation and rough cost?

the main visa would be my husband, he holds a Degree in QS. I know he needs to get his degree assessed by AIQS, Am I right in thinking it costs $650 for the assessment?

thats all for now and sorry for all the questions.

thanks

Depends really. From time to time you see big mess ups on here and people losing a lot of money, which would definitely not have happened had they used an agent. On the other hand, many people successfully negotiate the process all by themselves. Depends on whether the individual is prepared to put in the time and effort and is naturally diligent with paperwork and admin and form filling in.

Just a comment on your post, you mention getting a "degree assessed", for majority of occupations, the skills assessment is much more than getting a degree or other qualification assessed. It is usually a combination of qualification and work experience - so just wanted to check you are looking at the right process. Of course your occupation might be one of those exceptions where it is qualification only.

In support of using an agent (and I should disclose an interest here), are you prepared to lose the VACs totalling $7,040 if your claims on the Expression of Interest are knocked back when the visa application is assessed?

I know it isn't the most compelling of arguments, but a review of this forum will pick up those who have progressed unassisted professionally and who have had to pay the VACs again for a second application.

If you haven't done so already maybe make enquiry of 2 or 3 registered migration agents, establish the additional costs if you were to have professional support, and then make the decision about how to proceed.

Good luck!

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

...are you prepared to lose the VACs totalling $7,040...

Hi Alan

It's been a while, and I hope you are well.

You forgot to mention the unavoidable credit card surcharge :) Thankfully the Australian dollar is sinking to fresh lows every day, so that should work in favour of British applicants...

Regards

Peter

Hi Alan

It's been a while, and I hope you are well.

You forgot to mention the unavoidable credit card surcharge :) Thankfully the Australian dollar is sinking to fresh lows every day, so that should work in favour of British applicants...

Regards

Peter

Not fresh lows by any means, the rate is returning to long term average levels. Certainly will help those moving today though yes.