Partner Visa-Applying Off Shore in the United Kingdom

Belsh2737

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for a partner visa. I live in the UK and have been married for 9 years. My partner is an Australian PR.

To be really frank, the Australian Immigration Service has left me really confused. The Australian High Commission in London Website, states that you should apply using paper copies/ via post.

I have contacted the European helpline, who informed me that the preferred option is for me to apply online.

Can anyone assist with which method I can use? Anyone applied online from the UK recently?

Also, should I complete police checks/ medicals now to try and save time? We have a 5 year old daughter, so inevitable that we are going to be asked to do both.

Anyone applied for a partner visa recently who can advise on processing times? Do you think I will be eligible to bypass the temporary visa and go straight for the permanent?

Thanks a lot and look forward to reading your responses.

'This time next year'

Most people apply online now that this option is available. It means you no longer need to get your documents certified, and you can upload your evidence over a period of a couple of weeks vs. sending it all in at once.

Wait until you're asked for the medical/police checks. The applications are taking 10-14 months so waiting will ensure you get a reasonable time after visa grant to enter Australia (and lessen the change of needing to redo them if they expire before your visa is granted).

If you've been married more than 3 years (or 2 years with a child of the relationship), you'll go right to PR without the temporary step.

As MaggieMay said - applying online is much easier. Wait for medical and police checks as these are only valid for 1 year and you must enter Australia to validate the visa before these expire and visa grants are currently 10-14 months so you may have to get them again if you did them prior to applying. Waiting doesn't slow down the granting process, they will tell you when to get them.

Good luck (I applied online 9 months ago, fingers crossed the wait is nearly over!)

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for a partner visa. I live in the UK and have been married for 9 years. My partner is an Australian PR.

To be really frank, the Australian Immigration Service has left me really confused. The Australian High Commission in London Website, states that you should apply using paper copies/ via post.

Belsh,

I'd go for the online application if you are ok with paperless "paperwork" (how ironic).

In terms of your brief facts, I'm curious to note that you have been married for 9 years and your partner is an Australian permanent resident - this is an interesting set of facts.

A lot of my clients tell me that they find the Department of Immigration "helpline" rather unhelpful, as they can only give general advice at best.

Regards

Peter

Belsh,

I'd go for the online application if you are ok with paperless "paperwork" (how ironic).

In terms of your brief facts, I'm curious to note that you have been married for 9 years and your partner is an Australian permanent resident - this is an interesting set of facts.

A lot of my clients tell me that they find the Department of Immigration "helpline" rather unhelpful, as they can only give general advice at best.

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I've just been granted a RRV with 12 months to return.

Archived