Adelaide: Rental service fee for real estate agent

Guest gisyang

Guest gisyang

Hi All:

We will arrive in Adelaide on July 1 and stay for 9 months. I am searching real estate website to locate a rental property. I was told that I need to pay 2 weeks of rental payment for service if I ask help from a real estate agent. Therefore I am thinking to identify rental properties myself. Did you know if I need to pay service fee to the real estate agent of a rental property (or the landlord pays)?

Thanks,

Wanhong

Guest Guest9973

You should not have to pay an agent anything for their services.Their fee comes out of the rent you will be paying.

Guest Pinhead

Be prepared to pay a months rental as a bond plus a month in advance i.e you need to pay over 8 weeks rent before you move in.

Guest gisyang
Be prepared to pay a months rental as a bond plus a month in advance i.e you need to pay over 8 weeks rent before you move in.

This is a very god tip. I will prepare for the payment.

Thanks,

Wanhong

Guest Guest9973

Because of the desperate shortage of decent rentals (or any) here in Adelaide - people are offering 3 months in advance and it's been known to see 6.It is illegal for an agent here to ask for more than 3 months up front.

Guest gisyang

To be honest I am woriied about this type of scheme because I don't have a credit history in Australia. I will have the following credentials:

1. passport

2. driver's license in Canada

3. An invitation letter to work in Australia.

I am not sure if these are sufficient.

Your advice?

Thanks,

Wanhong

Guest Pinhead

Renting a property for me in Melbourne was no problem even with no credit or employment history.

I offered to show the Real Estate agent proof that I could pay the rent etc & he wasn't that bothered.

Archived