Historical Police Checks?

macca10

Despite the fact that we have resided in the UK since September 2004 our CO has asked my wife and I for police checks from the time we lived in Japan.

Has as anyone else been asked for anything similar? I sent a query as on the application forms it states that we have to provide evidence from all countries lived in for the past ten years.

Before anyone one says anything, no we don't have anything to hide(!), and I sent our CO old Japanese police checks covering the pertinent time scales.

Any experiences shared would be great.

Jacaranda,

the thing is that we have already submitted police checks for both of us from the UK police authorities which covers the last ten years+. So I am wondering why we are being requested to send in checks from Japan as well?

I wonder if it is simply that if for example (not insinuating anything lol) a serious crime had been committed in Japan by either of you (again not saying you have ) it would still show up on your Japanese police check. Like points on a drivers licence stay there for so long. Just a thought.

Pinkestlady,

just as we'll I'm thick skinned!!! LOL!

I know what you mean though and I hope the old police checks we have provided will suffice! Hope they get back ASAP but just in case I am going to Edinburgh tomorrow to the Consulate of Japan to start the ball rolling.

i had to do the same provide police checks from the uk and from sweden where i had been living, if you stayed in the country for over 4-6 weeks i think they require a police check but like you say its been over 10 years so i wonder why you needed it..

To register as a nurse there I had to do an international criminal history check for New Zealand as I had spent more than 6 months there since I was age 18. Even thought the form only asked for the addresses I had live in in New Zealand in The last 10 years (that being none as I haven't been there for 11 years. Sigh!

i had to do the same provide police checks from the uk and from sweden where i had been living, if you stayed in the country for over 4-6 weeks i think they require a police check but like you say its been over 10 years so i wonder why you needed it..

Its 12 months, not 4-6 weeks for checks for DIBP.

Checks for AHPRA are for 6 months or more -and you will still have to get another set for DIBP as they are done by different authorities.

Despite the fact that we have resided in the UK since September 2004 our CO has asked my wife and I for police checks from the time we lived in Japan.

Has as anyone else been asked for anything similar? I sent a query as on the application forms it states that we have to provide evidence from all countries lived in for the past ten years.

Before anyone one says anything, no we don't have anything to hide(!), and I sent our CO old Japanese police checks covering the pertinent time scales.

Any experiences shared would be great.

What visa subclass did you apply? I am concerned now since I applied for RSMS 187. have been in the United States for 4 years from 1994 to 1998 (which is already beyond the 10 years mark). Should I apply for FBI check from the US? I know the DIBP website states police checks in countries you have lived for the past 10 years only. So I am concerned now since you have been asked for Japan police checks as you haven't been in Japan sine 2004 (beyond the 10 year mark already).

What visa subclass did you apply? I am concerned now since I applied for RSMS 187. have been in the United States for 4 years from 1994 to 1998 (which is already beyond the 10 years mark). Should I apply for FBI check from the US? I know the DIBP website states police checks in countries you have lived for the past 10 years only. So I am concerned now since you have been asked for Japan police checks as you haven't been in Japan sine 2004 (beyond the 10 year mark already).

Nicolo I am the main applicant for our 189 PR visa. As far as your question I don't know. I wonder if they are requesting since I had several short trips to Japan to visit family!? I will post information regarding this when it comes back from my CO.

DH is from the USA but hadn't lived there for over 10 years. We found out that it was possible that it would be asked for so we went ahead and got the police check and submitted it just so our application wasn't delayed (as it took quite a while to get back).

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally had confirmation today from DIBP that we don't need the Japanese police checks after all as we have not lived there in the past ten years. I had asked for this to be confirmed by my CO when I first received contact but four people later I got the news I was expecting!

It is frustrating that when calling you don't get through directly to someone who can answer these queries quickly and that you have to wait. The great thing is that the Japanese do not charge for these checks and we are only going to be out of pocket for the postage.

Hope this helps those of you who posted on this thread.

Well I have finally had confirmation today from DIBP that we don't need the Japanese police checks after all as we have not lived there in the past ten years. I had asked for this to be confirmed by my CO when I first received contact but four people later I got the news I was expecting!

It is frustrating that when calling you don't get through directly to someone who can answer these queries quickly and that you have to wait. The great thing is that the Japanese do not charge for these checks and we are only going to be out of pocket for the postage.

Hope this helps those of you who posted on this thread.

That good to know. Thanks for the update.

Archived