Permanent Vs Temporary Visa

CaptainC

My wife is a Kiwi and is eligible for the SCV Special Category Visa (temp visa) whenever she enters Australia.

Apart from the obvious cost difference of putting her on my 189 Application now and then applying for a partner visa in the future (estimated $6000 difference), what are the advantages of her having PR versus remaining in Australia as a TR?

My wife is a Kiwi and is eligible for the SCV Special Category Visa (temp visa) whenever she enters Australia.

Apart from the obvious cost difference of putting her on my 189 Application now and then applying for a partner visa in the future (estimated $6000 difference), what are the advantages of her having PR versus remaining in Australia as a TR?

For example, I believe she wouldn't have access to certain public funds.....anything else?

At present, the only difference is in her ability to claim some major Centrelink benefits.

https://welfarerightscentre.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/nz.pdf

In future, it she doesn't become a PR, the other difference is that she never becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. For many Kiwis that isn't a significant disadvantage but for others, it means that they can't get most Federal government jobs and can't get government student loans (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP etc) or income support (Youth Allowance, Austudy) if they want to undertake tertiary study.

At present, the only difference is in her ability to claim some major Centrelink benefits.

https://welfarerightscentre.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/nz.pdf

In future, it she doesn't become a PR, the other difference is that she never becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. For many Kiwis that isn't a significant disadvantage but for others, it means that they can't get most Federal government jobs and can't get government student loans (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP etc) or income support (Youth Allowance, Austudy) if they want to undertake tertiary study.

That's all really good info there Ozmaniac. Appreciate it.

There is more.

In addition to HECS loans, citizenship and some Centrelink payments, sh would also not be eligible for:

- the new National Disability Insurance Scheme (despite having to pay the increased Medicare Levy to help fund it)

- She won't qualify as an Australian resident in her own right for the Aus Aged pension. Currently she would be considered an Australian resident based on the bilateral agreement between the two countries, but this may change in the future

- Student public transport concessions in various states

- Seniors card in Victoria

- Disaster relief and victim of terrorism payments - e.g. the cyclones in Queensland over the past few years, NZers on SCVs did not qualify as a resident for those payments and it was only some time after that an ex gratia payment was made.

And anything else in the future that the gov't might want to remove from temporary residents to help fix the budget.

If you are already applying for a permanent visa, it is probably worthwhile to include your wife +/- dependants.

Has she been in Australia prior to 1994 by any chance?

There's more information here. *** link removed per forum rules ***

To add to the other points, how about never gaining the right to vote, despite a lifetime of paying taxes.

Oh yes - there are those things associated with citizenship that you won't get because you can't ever become a citizen directly from the temporary visa. The other things like commonwealth government jobs, joining the army etc have already been mentioned I think.

Oops - didn't realise I'm not allowed to post a link. But if you want more information - There is a group called OzKiwi that has a facebook page and webpage with more information - they're trying to get the Aus gov't to relax rules for NZers already living in Australia. Your wife might already be eligible for a permanent visa (RRV) if she's been in Australia prior to certain changes in Sept 1994.

(Edit: Actually - I'm not sure why giving that link before was against the forum rules. Wasn't exactly trying to advertise a business or redirect traffic to another site. More just trying to provide information. But anyway, maybe there was a part of the rules I didn't read properly.)

Being on a TR visa is also likely to make it harder to get credit, mortgages, various non-governmental jobs, travel insurance. You would also have to pay overseas student rates if you wanted to do further study. If you are not able to tick the "PR or Citizen" box you are forever having to explain yourself to a sceptical audience.

There is more.

In addition to HECS loans, citizenship and some Centrelink payments, sh would also not be eligible for:

- the new National Disability Insurance Scheme (despite having to pay the increased Medicare Levy to help fund it)

- She won't qualify as an Australian resident in her own right for the Aus Aged pension. Currently she would be considered an Australian resident based on the bilateral agreement between the two countries, but this may change in the future

- Student public transport concessions in various states

- Seniors card in Victoria

- Disaster relief and victim of terrorism payments - e.g. the cyclones in Queensland over the past few years, NZers on SCVs did not qualify as a resident for those payments and it was only some time after that an ex gratia payment was made.

And anything else in the future that the gov't might want to remove from temporary residents to help fix the budget.

If you are already applying for a permanent visa, it is probably worthwhile to include your wife +/- dependants.

Has she been in Australia prior to 1994 by any chance?

There's more information here. *** link removed per forum rules ***

Thanks for that.

No she's not one of those 'Eligible NZ Residents' sadly, it would make things a lot easier!

Oh yes - there are those things associated with citizenship that you won't get because you can't ever become a citizen directly from the temporary visa. The other things like commonwealth government jobs, joining the army etc have already been mentioned I think.

Oops - didn't realise I'm not allowed to post a link. But if you want more information - There is a group called OzKiwi that has a facebook page and webpage with more information - they're trying to get the Aus gov't to relax rules for NZers already living in Australia. Your wife might already be eligible for a permanent visa (RRV) if she's been in Australia prior to certain changes in Sept 1994.

(Edit: Actually - I'm not sure why giving that link before was against the forum rules. Wasn't exactly trying to advertise a business or redirect traffic to another site. More just trying to provide information. But anyway, maybe there was a part of the rules I didn't read properly.)

Admin (AKA site owners) do not allow FB links, we moderate within the guidelines we have been given by the owners. If you have issue with this please do contact them, but as they have an awful lot on their plate at the moment they will only be dealing with urgent correspondence.

PR is the best option for your wife in the long run like all the comments suggest.

Temporary visas - even on 1st sight Kiwis assume to have an advantage towards other temporary visas - there is no point being on that for the rest of her life because she'll always be regarded as a 2nd class resident. 3000 $ for her application fee good investment for a stable future of all family members which not only gives peace of mind but equality with Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Archived