To take or not to take?!

Renee84

Hi guys,

moving from Falkirk, Scotland to Brisbane at the end of July with my husband and two young kids (1 & 4) and I just want to know is it really worth shipping over any furniture? We are taking next to nothing from our house except some art work and ornaments of sentimental value, some toys for the girls and some kitchen ware (wedding china) but we can't decide whether to ship over our spare bed which is almost brand new and a cot for our youngest. Anyone got any views? Would be great to hear from you as this is my first post here!!

Hey,

Great to hear you are coming over to Brisbane. I currently live in East Brisbane and have been here since October 2011. I brought over some gear with me but not a lot. What I can tell you to bring over if you can is stuff like bed linen! Sounds crazy but for some strange reason that stuff is sooooo expensive over here. I would recommend the cot if you can fit it in as I dont know how much room you have in the container?

There's things over here that are pretty expensive; HDMI leads (dont laugh), bed linen, underwear! (Buy lots), decent tea bags, curtains, pillows etc....basically anything to do with bed clothes, decent quality furniture can be very expensive. They already have Ikea over here plus you can pick up OK furniture on Gumtree if need be. Vitamins and cod liver oil tablets etc are insanely expensive over here, its crazy.

Its late here so I will attach more to this tomorrow if thats OK? :)

Since you are coming to Brisbane, you may want to ditch all your winter clothes. Brisbane winter here gets down to about 12c at night and 22c during the day. I would take about 10% of winter clothing with you.....trust me.

Right I am off to bed now but I shall continue tomorrow.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi there,

We live in Bainsford, Falkirk and are moving to Brisbane in 4 weeks! Sorry, I dont really have any advice on shipping, just noticed you were from Falkirk too!

We have a little girl who will be 3 when we get there so the only things we are taking are the majority of her toys!

Hi guys,

moving from Falkirk, Scotland to Brisbane at the end of July with my husband and two young kids (1 & 4) and I just want to know is it really worth shipping over any furniture? We are taking next to nothing from our house except some art work and ornaments of sentimental value, some toys for the girls and some kitchen ware (wedding china) but we can't decide whether to ship over our spare bed which is almost brand new and a cot for our youngest. Anyone got any views? Would be great to hear from you as this is my first post here!!

we are having similar discussions in our house at the moment! Basically, you can air freight 200kg (or 250kg? - can't remember which) of stuff for a fairly reasonable price. So if you can get under this weight, it's worth doing. Then you don't have to wait for months for your stuff to arrive.

But seems once over this weight, it's worth looking at small containers (you can get full, half, third, quarter size containers).

We are not taking any furniture but still have 500kg (half a ton!) of stuff... Books, CDs, DVD, ornaments, paperwork, clothes, shoes, bedding, some kitchen stuff but not pans or crockery, computer stuff etc. We are taking our superking bedding + duvet plus I've purchased a new set from M&S! We do not have a lot of stuff but it's scary that it weighs so much.

I would provide more details but the task of finding shippers, has been "assigned" to my partner :cool:

Unless your bedlinen is 1000 thread count or similar I wouldn't take it.

We took all our Sheridan bedding but I have now replaced it all. I have found they regularly hold massive bedding sales here and the endless washing because of the Oz heat takes its toll. We also change pillows here every couple of months due to the heat. Spotlight is selling 1200 thread count sheets for $59 right now. We also ended up buying new beds recently and the Oz sizes are different.

Furniture wise, what looked good in the UK does not necessarily look good here. The light is different and if you are heading for the burbs, the houses are much bigger and often quite contemporary style. Over time, we have replaced much of what we brought as it didn't suit the houses. I recommend unless the items are of exceptional quality or sentimental value, don't take them. There is a huge second hand market here as people move around a lot. When we arrived, we bought a pile of furniture on Gumtree to tide us over until the shipping arrived. We ended up doubling our money when we sold it all (even a brand new queen bed bought on ebay for $1, sold for $300).

Good luck

We brought everything, used everything and still had to buy more to furnish the inside and outside of our home. For us, it also meant we were able to settle in and find look around for things we needed at our own pace and not having to impulse buy and regret what we'd bought. There was no way that we would have been able to replace the furniture here for what it cost us to bring it in the container.

Beds in Australia are longer than some beds in Britain. If you are bringing beds and mattresses, by all means bring the bed linen. But if you are bringing only the linen (referred to in Australia, somewhat curiously, as Manchester) then check measurements against Australian bed websites.

We bought here, apart from our sofas. IKEA are reasonable for furniture and, if you're not too worried about sturdiness, Target/KMart/Fantastic Furniture all do bits. Good Guys for appliances (if you buy quite a few things and ask for the best price, you can get some savings too - the price on the tag, isn't the price!!). Again, Target and KMart do all the kitchen stuff (pots, crockery, cutlery etc). You can get some good deals online (oo.com.au) for bedding if you get it in their sales.

We're in Brisbane too and have found if you shop around, you can refurnish without breaking the bank. Just keep an eye out for the sales :-)

Archived