new arrival renting and finding work

sboz

Hi Everyone,

I will be arriving in Sydney soon, i'm nervous and excited. I would prefer renting after I arrive, however I don't have a job lined up and will also be searching once I get there. I was thinking of staying in hostel whilst I found a job or found rented accommodation. Am i doing the right thing? any other ideas?

Are there any websites or advice you could give me to obtain suitable rent (I know of domain and realestate), bearing in mind I don't have a job and will also be looking. As i will be new to the city, will also be looking to make new friends, any recommendations?

Many thanks

I'm assuming most of your job opportunities would be in the CBD. So plan accommodation as close to the centre as you can afford - but be prepared to pay through the nose no matter if you end up north south east or (the habitable parts of the) west! Do you have a financial buffer until you can land a job? What is your budget for accommodation?

many thanks for your reply's, you have all been most helpful. I was thinking the same, but wanted reassurance i was doing the right thing and the communities opinion. I'd either go Airbnb or hostels whilst I found work then hopefully find rental accommodation once I have. Budget would be as low as possible, max $50 a night, prob even less. In terms of location for renting, any suggestions?