3 Weeks after our arrival in Melbourne

douglashv

Hi,

Well, it's been 3 weeks now since our arrival in Melbourne. We did a lot of things after our arrival to set us up: bank accounts, medicare, tfn, forklift licence, rsa and rsf certificates, etc... we arrived with our PR visas. After our arrival we stayed in Footscray, in a small but comfortable place we booked using airbnb, but after 4 days we secured a room through Facebook, and now we are living in st kilda rd with another couple from Venezuela. The atmosphere in the CBD is quite cosmopolitan and modern, there is a mix of cultures perfectly blended, it's like New York but with less people and cars. We really enjoyed getting lost in the city, and we found a hidden lane full of hidden-like coffee shops and bakeries. The smell of coffee in the air is amazing.

During the second week I got a couple of calls, I went to an interview for a perfect position given my degree (chemical engineering) and background but didn't get the job, they did give me an excellent feedback which I asked for and it is really going to help me in the future, but 2 days later, I secured a job as a machine operator in bayswater (quite far from where we live at the moment), but the pay is good and it helps us to not spend all of our savings. My wife is going to start her amep course in Holmesglen (English is our second language), she sat for a test and they placed her in the second level, which is going to start in mid april. She is looking for a casual job as a cleaner, dishwasher or babysitter, she is sending resumes and received some calls, but employers are asking for the medicare card which hasn't arrived in yet by mail, so if any of you need any help with some cleaning, babysitting, etc. my wife is more than happy to help you out, just send me a PM to discuss, we speak Spanish and my wife can help you if you want to practice some of your Spanish.

So far so good, everything is much better than we expected. The aussie accent is hard to understand, but we are getting up to speed and our listening is improving a lot.

Getting here was a long journey that started in 2010 when we took the decision. But now, we can look back and just say: it is really worth it!

Cheers,

Douglas.-

Thank you so much Gbye grey sky !!! ... I think that it was my studying for my IELTS test and the preparation of my CDR's that helped me to improve my writing in English however, I am sure that I need to practice my speaking, and I am confident that being involved in this culture is going to help me a great deal.

Awesome recommendation starlight7 ... I am going to add Doongalla in my bucket list :) ...