Use an agent or not?

Hodgies2Oz

We are about to submit our Skills Assessment (for hubby) and we were going to do the process without a migration agent. However, after reading a number of posts about errors in applications and additional costs I am now wondering if it is best just to go with an agent??? Anyone been through the visa application and have thoughts on this?

I found it pretty straight forward to be honest. If you read the questions properly and provide the correct info you should be fine. Also if your case is straight forward should be fine. I had a positive skills assessment then applied for EOI then applied for visa for me, husband and 2 kids. It did take me a whole day to upload all the documents and was a bit scarry at the point of paying the money but great sense of satisfaction once done!!

I think that with Visa Application Charges being so significant these days - particularly for families - only those with the most certain of situations should lodge an EoI without professional support.

The risk generally attaches to the skilled work experience claimed - this is where points claimed can easily be over-egged.

And that's where you can lose the charges paid to the Department of Immigration.

If you are going with a 190 or 489 visa strategy, can achieve 60 points (with the points for State/Territory sponsorship), and don't need to claim any skilled work experience there is a relatively low risk of overclaiming points in the EoI.

I know there are a fair few who lodge applications unassisted. In my view that is a more risky path to follow.

Ring a few recommended migration agents, compare their fees, and then make your decision - once you have all the costs in front of you.

Best regards.

I look it like this. You are about to spend thousands of pounds and go through a long process that is going to be life changing. You are going to be subject to a myriad of rules and regulations to which you must comply and a simple failure can result in a very expensive rejection. Add in that the vast majority of cases that end up having a major problem, didn't know there was going to be a problem until it happened.

My advice to people is to use an agent.

Ours was a relatively straightforward visa, but I'm still glad we used an agent. With everything

going on, it helped having someone else to do that part of it.

And extra £1600 on top of everything else was worth it to remove the stress!

Well everyone speaks out from their experience and perspective. When I decided to go for it, I was baffled about getting an agent but then I spent a day or two on browsing immigration websites and related forums etc. I understood everything and decided to take one step at a time. First, I applied for the Skills Assessment once, I got the results, I started with the English test and once I was through that, I lodged my EOI. Got my EOI, then, applied for the PR.

Whenever I had a doubt, I posted it here on the forum and people are so great up here, they answered my queries and helped me to get through. This way, I did everything own my own and I am glad I did as otherwise, I would have had to shed about $1800 on an agent which I saved. YIPPEEE!!

So my suggestion is, unless your application is complicated by any means, do it yourself!

Well everyone speaks out from their experience and perspective. When I decided to go for it, I was baffled about getting an agent but then I spent a day or two on browsing immigration websites and related forums etc. I understood everything and decided to take one step at a time. First, I applied for the Skills Assessment once, I got the results, I started with the English test and once I was through that, I lodged my EOI. Got my EOI, then, applied for the PR.

Whenever I had a doubt, I posted it here on the forum and people are so great up here, they answered my queries and helped me to get through. This way, I did everything own my own and I am glad I did as otherwise, I would have had to shed about $1800 on an agent which I saved. YIPPEEE!!

So my suggestion is, unless your application is complicated by any means, do it yourself!

That's fine until an application falls over on a technical point!

Who do you turn to then? Are you going to ask the other forum posters to reimburse you for wasted costs incurred as a result of information given here?

Who determines whether an application is "complicated"?

At the risk of being pilloried for commenting on the fears of the unknown and being accused of having a biased perspective, can I say that I've seen advice given on forums and FB that is incorrect and misplaced - many consider they are experts when the only experience of visas they have is their own application. The structure of advice in these places is flat and there is no easy means of determining who is an authority on the subject - how do you know who's got it right and who hasn't?

Best regards.

Also procedures can be changed just like that, mid application. You can find yourself without a clue what to do. So what seemed like a straightforward process soon becomes less so. We've seen it on here time and time again, someone being cocky and saying how easy it is but they then go on to make a howler. There are plenty of ways to save the money in the moving process but not getting a visa isn't one of them.

Again, it's all on the applicant. I was helped by many people right here on the forum technically and on the general enquiries, so maybe lucky me. I have seen so many people who went through agents and got screwed anyway, some were fraud, some fed wrong information to the applicants, if you go through the forum there are plenty of people who have complained about their agents and many of them didn't get a refund as well. So, it is not like if you go through an agent you will definitely get PR.

People on this forum can share only their opinion, their experience and offer help, whether to trust the information or not, to go through an agent or not, the decision lies with the applicant.

We are applying for a CPV 143 and are using an Agent. I can only speak for myself but I'm really glad we are. We had a couple of issues initially when our application was lodged and without our Agents I'm really not sure how long it would have taken us to sort out - in fact I'm not even sure we would have known where to start. Occasionally I might ring for some advice and there is always someone to take my call and I know the advice is going to be correct. It is down to each individual which way they choose to go with this but for us it's worth it.

Again, it's all on the applicant. I was helped by many people right here on the forum technically and on the general enquiries, so maybe lucky me. I have seen so many people who went through agents and got screwed anyway, some were fraud, some fed wrong information to the applicants, if you go through the forum there are plenty of people who have complained about their agents and many of them didn't get a refund as well. So, it is not like if you go through an agent you will definitely get PR.

People on this forum can share only their opinion, their experience and offer help, whether to trust the information or not, to go through an agent or not, the decision lies with the applicant.

Or you could have been lucky that DIPB or DIAC as they were don't change the lists on you mid application and make changes retrospectively! Talking to my Agent at 2am GMT to get it sorted and to get a nights sleep, priceless. Making sure you go with a well respected Agent with a 100 per cent success rate does ensure success yes.

We didn't use an agent and got a visa - but if we had enough money we might well have done. It's all do-able - but we had a pretty clear cut/straightforward case. I'd start with a piece of paper/spreadsheet, and see how much it all costs, and see if you can afford everything. If you can afford an agent then you have a choice.

An agent would certainly help if you have any 'complexities' in your case, and it would mean less research for you. I gather they lead you, and you respond with actions/documents etc.

Archived