Help RRV

B Bear

Hi

This question has probably been answered before but I cannot find a thread.

Please can someone offer some advice, we have a PR189 Visa Validated April 2014, moved permanently in December 2014. I understand that ideally we need to stay in Australia for 2 years out of the 5 years.

My questions are:

1. Is the 2 years consecutive from December 2014 - December 2016 without leaving at all?

2. We are planning a vacation for 1 week to Bali - will this affect the 2 years or will we still be classed as living in Australia? ie if we go on vacation will the 2 year clock start again from the date we get back to Aus?

Thanks

Pete

Hi

This question has probably been answered before but I cannot find a thread.

Please can someone offer some advice, we have a PR189 Visa Validated April 2014, moved permanently in December 2014. I understand that ideally we need to stay in Australia for 2 years out of the 5 years.

My questions are:

1. Is the 2 years consecutive from December 2014 - December 2016 without leaving at all?

2. We are planning a vacation for 1 week to Bali - will this affect the 2 years or will we still be classed as living in Australia? ie if we go on vacation will the 2 year clock start again from the date we get back to Aus?

Thanks

Pete

Why do you think you need to spend two years in Australia? You are not a prisoner, you can come and go as you please for the duration of your visa. You might never even need to apply for a RRV, perhaps you will qualify for citizenship before you ever need it.

You only need a RRV if you want to enter Australia after the re-entry rights of your 189 have expired i.e. 5 years from the date of GRANT of the 189.

When you apply for a RRV, if you have been onshore in Australia for at least 2 years in total (doesn't need to be consecutive) out of the 5 years immediately before you apply for the RRV, you will get a 5 year RRV. If in the 5 years before applying, you have been onshore for less than 2 years, you will get a shorter RRV; probably 12 months.

Archived