WHV vs Sponsored Employment

hanaknight12

Hi Guys,

I'm currently saving to take the plunge & travel down under on my own in October 2015.

I've been looking at my options and have been considering both a WHV and Sponsored Employment.

My current company have offices out in Perth & said that there may possibly be the opportunity to transfer out there closer to the time. In case this doesn't work out I've been looking at the WHV option!

I have a question relating to the SE visa and was wondering if I could get people's opinions as well as what you guys think is the best option? If you are over in Oz on a SE visa and say after a year of working with them you decide you'd like to take employment elsewhere do you need to go through the sponsorship process again with the new company, can you do this in Oz or do you have to come back to the UK to do so? I think I know the answer but tbh I would rather check!

I've been looking at this option because I'm slightly worried about being financially unstable as I do have commitments i.e. Car payments. Does anyone have any tips or similar concerns? Or do I need to just get a grip? :embarrassed: Haha!

what do you guys recommend & which visa do you think would be best?

sorry for the long spiel! Thank you all for your help!

Hana :)

I've been looking at my options and have been considering both a WHV and Sponsored Employment.

My current company have offices out in Perth & said that there may possibly be the opportunity to transfer out there closer to the time. In case this doesn't work out I've been looking at the WHV option!

Getting a sponsorship with your employer would be much,much better because you will get a guaranteed salary and work. On a WHV you can't work for the whole year with the same employer, meaning you're restricted to temp jobs.

Also the WHV is just a year and then you'll have to go home - don't bank on finding an employer who'll sponsor you to stay, it's not easy unless you've got a skill that's in great demand. Whereas if your employer sponsors you, you've got several years (or open-ended if it's PR).

Are you eligible to be sponsored? Because it's a lot more complicated than your employer saying they could sponsor you when you arrive. You have to have a specific skill listed on the SOL or CSOL list.

Just thought id clarify this as it could be the deciding factor on which visa you get as you won't have much choice lol.

engaus - I need to double check this again. I remember seeing my role being listed but it's better to check than just go for it. Otherwise my options are limited! Thanks :)

Marisawright - I've done a lot of research into the WHV and you can apply for a second year once you've completed specified work. I have a background with competition & stud horses so I would most likely try and do something similar whilst looking for temp work. Interesting to see people's views :)

Thanks for your advice guys!

Anymore would be greatly appreciated.

Hana

engaus - I need to double check this again. I remember seeing my role being listed but it's better to check than just go for it. Otherwise my options are limited! Thanks :)

Marisawright - I've done a lot of research into the WHV and you can apply for a second year once you've completed specified work. I have a background with competition & stud horses so I would most likely try and do something similar whilst looking for temp work. Interesting to see people's views :)

Ah, from your original post, I assumed you wouldn't be keen to do the kind of farm work required by the second year WHV. And of course, at the end of that second year you would have to go home, which I got the impression was not what you wanted.

Hi Marisawright,

thank you for your advice! Sorry if I confised you! Tbh I haven't yet decided if I want to stay indefinitely! If like to see how it goes and take things as they come. If I manage to secure sponsorship/nomination & I want to stay then I'll be happy.

Just umming and ahhing because of the financial side. I have a meeting booked with a migration agent to see if my role is definitely in the SOL & CSOL list as my job title is slightly different to that named on those lists yet the actual role itself is the same. If it isn't then I'll be looking at the WHV.

Is meeting with an agent worth the time do you think?

Hi Marisawright,

thank you for your advice! Sorry if I confised you! Tbh I haven't yet decided if I want to stay indefinitely! If like to see how it goes and take things as they come. If I manage to secure sponsorship/nomination & I want to stay then I'll be happy.

Just umming and ahhing because of the financial side. I have a meeting booked with a migration agent to see if my role is definitely in the SOL & CSOL list as my job title is slightly different to that named on those lists yet the actual role itself is the same. If it isn't then I'll be looking at the WHV.

Is meeting with an agent worth the time do you think?

Well, it is if you want to stay long term - but if it's just an exploratory trip then I'd recommend just doing the WHV and enjoy it, then review once you've had a chance to experience Australia.

Well, it is if you want to stay long term - but if it's just an exploratory trip then I'd recommend just doing the WHV and enjoy it, then review once you've had a chance to experience Australia.

Except her skill could be removed from the skills list, and if she fell in love with the place she'd be stuck!

Except her skill could be removed from the skills list, and if she fell in love with the place she'd be stuck!

My skill set is very similar if not identical to the HR Advisor which is on the skills list its just my role isn't called that haha. Slightly unsure if I would qualify. I've booked an appointment with an agent to see if they can give me some advice :)

My skill set is very similar if not identical to the HR Advisor which is on the skills list its just my role isn't called that haha. Slightly unsure if I would qualify. I've booked an appointment with an agent to see if they can give me some advice :)

Just make sure it's a Mara registered Agent. Good luck.

Archived