Family friendly areas to live around Sydney?

karenjh73

Hi all,

finally got confirmation, we will be moving out to Sydney area in June...we have been advised to look for suitable schools and areas to live, but I haven't got the foggiest at the mo! If anyone (particularly Navy) knows the area I would really love some advice. Ideally, we would be looking for a relaxed kid (8 and 5) friendly area, with a good primary school (possibly with navy kids there?) and good transport links to the Navy base so hub doesn't have to commute too much. Also (and here is where it gets a bit more difficult), I have family in the Campbelltown area so would like to be able to get there relatively easily...

Thanks for any suggestions, hopefully I will be able to offer some useful advice to others when we get to the other side instead of just asking Q all the time! :twitcy:

When looking for accommodation in Sydney, "family friendly" really isn't going to help you very much. Other than perhaps in the city centre, everywhere for miles and miles is going to have families living very happily in their chosen suburb.

No the way to narrow it down is to consider place of work and budget. I think you will get much better insights if you can share those details with us.

Thanks for your reply, Bungo. I assumed that by 'family friendly' (and mentioning young children) most would have an idea of the type of area I had in mind, but to clarify, the following would be what we were looking for:

- 'safe' area (quiet roads, low crime rate)

- open areas/play areas

- facilities for out of school activities (eg football, gymnastics), may be provided at school?

- easy access to other facilities such as library/swimming pool/health centre

- other young families in area

- good schools

- husband may need the car for work, so local food shop/supermarket/shopping centre/cafe

As previously mentioned, husband is in the Navy (initially at base in Potts Point), and family is in Campbelltown, so something with good transport links in between the two would be ideal.

Not fussy about the house at the moment, would need 3 bedrooms, garden and garage. Not sure about budget at the mo but obviously I am aware that in general, properties closer to the CBD would be more expensive and we would have to weigh up commute times and what the area has to offer when looking at what we wanted to spend. Will be narrowing this down when we have seen the range of properties available.

Thanks for any help.

The best way as far as I know to get to Campbelltown from other parts of Sydney is on the M5 Motorway. If you go in the other direction on the M5, you can get to the the airport, and the city centre, which if your hubby is working at the naval base at Garden Island in the city centre (don't know about the navy, i just know there is a big base there), would be convenient. So you could look at suburbs around the M5. The closer to the city you are the more (generally) you'll pay for rent or to buy.

There seems to be many family friendly areas. But some are really expensive. If it's good to be nearer family - then it makes some sense to be west or South west of the CBD.

I think car commuting is hard work (so many tell me), so it's worth knowing whether your husband can use public transport?

'Affordable' and family friendly areas might be around Sutherland (1 hour commute by train) or above the George river (40 mins by train or bus).

This is only loose advise. It's a big area and we haven't moved yet. But if consider the commute and cost as important factors.

Thanks for your reply, Bungo. I assumed that by 'family friendly' (and mentioning young children) most would have an idea of the type of area I had in mind, but to clarify, the following would be what we were looking for:

- 'safe' area (quiet roads, low crime rate)

- open areas/play areas

- facilities for out of school activities (eg football, gymnastics), may be provided at school?

- easy access to other facilities such as library/swimming pool/health centre

- other young families in area

- good schools

- husband may need the car for work, so local food shop/supermarket/shopping centre/cafe

As previously mentioned, husband is in the Navy (initially at base in Potts Point), and family is in Campbelltown, so something with good transport links in between the two would be ideal.

Not fussy about the house at the moment, would need 3 bedrooms, garden and garage. Not sure about budget at the mo but obviously I am aware that in general, properties closer to the CBD would be more expensive and we would have to weigh up commute times and what the area has to offer when looking at what we wanted to spend. Will be narrowing this down when we have seen the range of properties available.

Thanks for any help.

My point was that Sydney is full of families with young children, literally they are everywhere (except very close to the CBD) and everybody is likely to consider their area to be family friendly. So I was suggesting that some other criteria would help you narrow the huge choices down. Price is going to be the biggest factor for most, yes CBD can be expensive as are beach suburbs.

If you poke about the NSW section, and cross reference on google maps, you might start to pick up ideas. Then search these areas again. someone else will probably have looked at the same types of things already.

I don't think you'll find many short cuts or quick answers, but you'll probably learn quite a bit. This might help you narrow things down a bit.

You could hardly pick two places in Sydney that are further apart! For commuting to Potts Point, will he have to drive or can he take public transport?

If public transport, then it's important to be on a train line (buses are very subject to traffic jams in most of Sydney). Check the timetables on http://www.sydneytrains.info/ to see how long the journey is to King's Cross from various stations.

If he has to drive, then you need to be fairly close if he'll have to fight the City to Eastern Suburbs traffic every day. You can use Google Maps to check travel times (be sure to check it for peak hour travel as there can be a huge difference).

3 bedrooms, garden and garage will cost you $1 million to $2 million across a very wide area of Sydney.

If you lived somewhere on the 'Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra' train line, your husband could get the train to Kings Cross (near the base) every day in under an hour. You really need to live on a train line in Sydney unless you are both going to have cars. You really need one at least. Sydney is soo expensive for housing, so I would look in the south or west for something reasonably priced. Not as close to the eastern beaches or the city, but they are still pleasant areas, and an hour commute for your husband on the train isn't even that bad for Sydney.

It's true that most places seem to have lots of families. Sydney doesn't really have a proper city in a lot of ways. Just lots of suburbs with a mix of families and singles.

Maybe just put your budget into Domain or another real estate site and see whats around for that price.

Thanks for all the good tips and advice!

Marisa - I'm assuming we will be looking at getting a car pretty quickly, which will give him the option of driving or using public transport, but from the sound of it the train sounds the best option...will be checking that out, so thank you. Maybe we will be looking a bit further out - $1-2million! EEK!!

sydneysider3 - thanks for the M5 point...so somewhere near M5 with rail links :)

Captain Roberto - thanks for those suggestions, will be taking a look. Don't know how I missed your previous posts on the same subject, but will be reading through very closely! Good luck with your upcoming move.

Thanks for all the good tips and advice!

Marisa - I'm assuming we will be looking at getting a car pretty quickly, which will give him the option of driving or using public transport, but from the sound of it the train sounds the best option...will be checking that out, so thank you. Maybe we will be looking a bit further out - $1-2million! EEK!!

sydneysider3 - thanks for the M5 point...so somewhere near M5 with rail links :)

If you can't afford $1 million for a house, then he can forget driving to work, unless he wants a two hour commute! Concentrate on the train lines and check the timetables.

I suggest you look at realestate.com.au and try doing some searches for properties under $1 million. Try searches like Western Sydney, South Sydney etc.

To give you an idea how far out you'll have to go, our neighbours just sold their house (in Ashfield) for $1.4 million. It's an older-style 3 bedder with garden and garage.

Karenjh73, contact DCO in Liverpool (NSW) they are very similar to SSAFA but are a lot more efficient, you should have an email from them by now and ask them the relevant questions you want specific answers too, what you want isn't always the same as what others do, especially when it comes to family life. I would also wait until you get access to Homefind as you may only have a small choice of areas anyway. The usual ones are Ryde, Caringbah, ermington and sutherland. There are a few other areas dotted around so it will pot luck to what's available when your due to come over. If you want any more info send a message.

If you can't afford $1 million for a house, then he can forget driving to work, unless he wants a two hour commute! Concentrate on the train lines and check the timetables.

I suggest you look at realestate.com.au and try doing some searches for properties under $1 million. Try searches like Western Sydney, South Sydney etc.

To give you an idea how far out you'll have to go, our neighbours just sold their house (in Ashfield) for $1.4 million. It's an older-style 3 bedder with garden and garage.

Thanks Marisa, I will have a good look around on realestate.com.au - there are some really nice looking places, I think we will have to wait until our house sells here in the UK before making any purchasing decisions...still, it helps to be prepared!

Karenjh73, contact DCO in Liverpool (NSW) they are very similar to SSAFA but are a lot more efficient, you should have an email from them by now and ask them the relevant questions you want specific answers too, what you want isn't always the same as what others do, especially when it comes to family life. I would also wait until you get access to Homefind as you may only have a small choice of areas anyway. The usual ones are Ryde, Caringbah, ermington and sutherland. There are a few other areas dotted around so it will pot luck to what's available when your due to come over. If you want any more info send a message.

Thanks Daxx2 - we had an email just this morning so I guess it all kicks off from here! Thanks for the info on the usual areas, will be taking a look at travel times/schools etc in preparation... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
we have been advised to look for suitable schools and areas to live, Ideally, we would be looking for a relaxed kid (8 and 5) friendly area, with a good primary school and good transport links to the Navy base

Two Words: NORTH SHORE

Great community for bring up children, brilliant schools, and loads of Navy people travel on the train every day.

Places along the North Shore train line, like: Mount Kuring-gai, Hornsby Heights, Wahroonga, Turrumurra, Gordon, North Sydney.

About 45 mins to 1 hour (depending on am/pm time travelling), using the new fast motorway to Campbelltown.

Great community for bring up children, brilliant schools, and loads of Navy people travel on the train every day.

Places along the North Shore train line, like: Mount Kuring-gai, Hornsby Heights, Wahroonga, Turrumurra, Gordon, North Sydney.

About 45 mins to 1 hour (depending on am/pm time travelling), using the new fast motorway to Campbelltown.

Two more words (actually three not that I'm complaining!) "Tony Abbott Land!"

Brilliant! A place came up in Epping which looks good, can't wait :)

Archived