Early Years Teacher skills assessment question

Oh my, its such a mind field. They really make it hard for us! I had seen this with ACECQA - my first degree is on the list but not as a ECT but diploma. And to be honest I dont think I would mind doing that for a bit anyway! My husband is a primary teacher but with experience we would only be able to go through state nominated to Perth and thats not where we want to go ideally. So as long as we get the independent visa, I am not worried about what I have to do after that. Ill put my feet up after doing all this and he can work lol!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect plan, that is pretty much what we did. OH got the visa, and I took my time finding my feet. I am not sure what state you are interested in, but get your husband to start getting his registration started, he can delay if needed (eg not sending in paperwork straight away) but it can take time, and all the paperwork needs certifying. Good luck with the appeal. I would try and if not that long ago get something from the placements you may have done in early years esp 0-4yrs. Fingers crossed.

Hi @SOJ I've been in deepest darkest Wales for a few days so had no internet. It sounds promising with AITSL, hopefully you can get the evidence they want and get a positive assessment. I think I have a copy of the letters that I sent to AITSL so if you can bear with me I'll find them out and try and take some pictures and I'll PM them to you. Where do you see how many people have applied for each job? I'm hoping for a visa invite this weekend! Eeeekkkk @fleks I still haven't decided about what to do for the 0-2 part for ACECQA shall I volunteer somewhere? If I called them to ask do you think I would get a straight answer or just an 'apply and see' ? X

Hi, that would be super helpful! Thank you! The email response had no extra detail at all so basically it's down to me to figure it out. Uni are extremely busy as you can imagine at this time of year, so have asked me to give them as much info as I can! Feel every confused! The occupation ceiling are on the the main website https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Empl/skillselect. Eek fingers crossed you get the email this weekend xxx

reading all your posts is giving me a headache ha ha ha

My story so far.........i am in the process of starting my final year of my 3 year degree in primary education which covers 3-11yrs. My year 1 placement was inn Reception, Year 2 placement was in Year 2 and this coming year i will be in Nursery. I wont be the main applicant on the visa, my husband is an airconditioning and refrigeration engineer so thats is department haha.

im worrying that i wont be able to work when out in australia. We havenet decided on an area yet although the hubby knows someone in Sydney with an aircon business and i like the looks of perth (cant get further away from each other ha ha!)

I love working with kids, its my real passion but to be honest the teaching isnt the be all and end all. So, in a nutshell, Im just wanting advice i suppose from people who already know.

........Without going through AITSL, would a primary position be even remotely possible depending on the state?

........Am i better trying to get a PGCE before coming out there?

........Can you become a supply teacher on a three year degree? - I have three young children whom need their mummy to help them settle so this would definitely be a viable option for me to start with anyway

........Are there any other jobs that people can think of that I could possibly look at in a school? Does Australia have teaching assistants or example?

Like I said, the role of the teacher isnt the be all and end all but a) I want to work with kids and b) i REALLY dont want to be almost £30,000 in student debt for no reason by the end of this year hahaha

Im so sorry to ask all these questions as, having read all your messages, I can see that you are all majorly busy at the moment trying to secure your own visas/jobs etc. Im right at the start of my emigration journey and just want to know as much as I can before we set off on our new amazing journey!!

Thanks so much in advance xx

If you are not the main applicant you will not need to get your skills assessed by AITSL. To teach you would need to register with the teaching board of the specific state you would want to go to (in Perth it's the TRBWA) but you need to have 4 years university education for them to even look at your application so a PGCE or Masters would be the way to go. As far as non teaching positions go I'm not sure, if you want to work in private day care /nursery you need to register with ACECQA and have your qualifications assessed by them.

Theres a good thread in jobs and careers called 'teachers in Oz' there are lots of people on there who have been through the whole registration process already and are happy to answer questions x

As already mentioned, the AITSL is more about getting an appropriate visa. As for working in Australia, it depends on each state, and their requirements, but the first thing you must be able to demonstrate is and equivalent to a 4yr degree. Have or are you completing a research elements (as that's what is deemed the important part)? Then you need to do the teacher training element? That can be done in either the UK or Australia, but you must be able to demonstrate the 4 year degree. As for jobs, there are jobs, and they pay ok, so if not teaching, teachers aids, out of hours and more can be looked at as options.

I hope this helps (a little at least)

reading all your posts is giving me a headache ha ha ha

My story so far.........i am in the process of starting my final year of my 3 year degree in primary education which covers 3-11yrs. My year 1 placement was inn Reception, Year 2 placement was in Year 2 and this coming year i will be in Nursery. I wont be the main applicant on the visa, my husband is an airconditioning and refrigeration engineer so thats is department haha.

im worrying that i wont be able to work when out in australia. We havenet decided on an area yet although the hubby knows someone in Sydney with an aircon business and i like the looks of perth (cant get further away from each other ha ha!)

I love working with kids, its my real passion but to be honest the teaching isnt the be all and end all. So, in a nutshell, Im just wanting advice i suppose from people who already know.

........Without going through AITSL, would a primary position be even remotely possible depending on the state?

........Am i better trying to get a PGCE before coming out there?

........Can you become a supply teacher on a three year degree? - I have three young children whom need their mummy to help them settle so this would definitely be a viable option for me to start with anyway

........Are there any other jobs that people can think of that I could possibly look at in a school? Does Australia have teaching assistants or example?

Like I said, the role of the teacher isnt the be all and end all but a) I want to work with kids and b) i REALLY dont want to be almost £30,000 in student debt for no reason by the end of this year hahaha

Im so sorry to ask all these questions as, having read all your messages, I can see that you are all majorly busy at the moment trying to secure your own visas/jobs etc. Im right at the start of my emigration journey and just want to know as much as I can before we set off on our new amazing journey!!

Thanks so much in advance xx

In answer to your questions. You will not be allowed to teach anywhere in Australia without four years of tertiary education.

You do not need to go through AITSL as your skills are not being used to secure the visa. However, you will need to register with the teaching registration board in the state in which you live. None of the teaching registration boards will register you with only a three year degree. No, you will not be allowed to supply teach or teach in a nursery or day care (these require four early childhood degrees anyway), you would be eligible to work as a child care assistant though..

Each state is different, NSW being the most stringent in what it requires to have been studied in the degree, but they all require four years of university education.

In order to be eligible to teach you will need to undertake one more year of tertiary education, whether that is a masters or a post graduate certificate, is up to you.

Edited by Sammy1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update!

I requested my appeal on the 2nd Sept. Got all the documents from Uni and sent it off on the 12th Sept with royal mail 5-7 working days track and trace. It arrived on the 6th Oct as it was stalled somewhere in Hong Kong for days. Recieved an email today saying because it arrive 4 days after the 30 day limit it has been rejected. Meaning i need to start from the beginning. Im so fed up! Thinking of giving up altogether! x

No idea why it was there! From past experience with royal mail, I don't try to make sense of where stuff goes where it does! I tried to argue my case but they said that's their policy and end of. No they didnt take the payment, thankfully. Hows you case going Selina? x

No idea why it was there! From past experience with royal mail, I don't try to make sense of where stuff goes where it does! I tried to argue my case but they said that's their policy and end of. No they didnt take the payment, thankfully. Hows you case going Selina? x

How frustrating for you SOJ!!! But honestly don't give up just try again, I'm sure you will succeed next time. Make sure you put in a letter explaining everything that happened from the beginning up until your paperwork was held up by the service from Royal Mail (grrrrrrrrrr, I had problems with them too). I'd send everything with a courier company too who are a bit more answerable than Royal Mail.

My application is in just waiting for a CO to be assigned who will request medicals etc. Handing over the £3500 visa charge was pretty hard when you don't have a guaranteed outcome!!

Keep us posted with what you decide to do x

• 2 weeks later...

Oh how exciting Selina! Finger crossed you have got through the hardest part already, and you don't have to wait much longer to get your final answer! That will be a nice Christmas present!

After much debating we have decided to try again - we have said this was just a practice and this time we will be more prepared! The positive is now it has passed September, I have 3 years post qualifying teaching experience so can get that assessed at the same time. This is where I need help - again! (Don't know what I would do without this forum!)

On the AITSL website it say they need a letter from the "employing authority" - is this the school or the Local Authority? I have spoken to my head who is now well aware of our plans and she isn't sure if she write it on school headed paper or the LA. Or on the letter is she meant to state that I work at the school on behalf of the council? Did you get your employment assessed? What did you do?

Want to make sure I get it all right this time around!

xx

I didn't get my experience assessed. Hmmmmm it's a hard one but I would assume that it would be the school with letterheaded paper because the council is so generic you could work in any department.Do you need to send in payslips though, because these will be council? Must be a relief that your head knows, I'm scared to tell mine and they found out I have been looking for other jobs while on maternity leave, I don't think they are happy with me x

No they just want a letter, confirming position, length of time you have worked there and hours. I think I'll get my head to do it, that does make more sense. Yes it is a relief, I kind of thought if I tell her then I have to go for it. She is already on about coming out and visiting me lol!

Have you heard anything or are you just playing the waiting game? X