Taking the essentials

localboy

Hello all,

As always, thank you for the all the guidance and posts to date- it's so helpful and I use this as a great resource for queries I have. I fly out to Australia for Year 1 on 31st May, with the following 'plan'

1. Arrive on a WHV

2. Apply for a DeFacto Visa towards the end of Year 1 (I have been with my girlfriend for a year already and have started the documentation collation process)

3. Assuming 2 works out fine....fingers crossed!

The question I have now is- what are the essentials I need to take out with me in May, which I'm likely to forget. I'm thinking about documentation in particular which I'll need for banking, rent, work, and Visa applications. For example- do I need past bank statements, rental agreements, credit card statements, Criminal Records checks, credit reports?

Thanks again as always.

Kind regards,

localboy

Birth certificate! You will need it for the application. I had my original certificate but it wasn't the version so I had to send off for a certified copy from the General Register Office. I've since ordered another one to take with me to Australia, just in case.

Otherwise I plan to take all my existing paperwork - ie, bank statements,credit card statements, house rental stuff, utilities, council tax bills [good to use as proof of living together as well], tax related forms/correspondence etc.

You don't need to do the police check until indicated by your case officer after you've applied.

Hello all,

As always, thank you for the all the guidance and posts to date- it's so helpful and I use this as a great resource for queries I have. I fly out to Australia for Year 1 on 31st May, with the following 'plan'

1. Arrive on a WHV

2. Apply for a DeFacto Visa towards the end of Year 1

Bear in mind that you have to make a statement saying you're not intending to stay after the end of your WHV, so technically you're breaking the law. In practice I'd say you'll be OK, but if you were really unlucky and got stopped on the way in, they'd be immediately suspicious if you had all your paperwork with you.

A friend of mine did just this so it is possible, he said something about being given a bridging visa once he applied for the de vacto

Yes it's definitely possible and in fact, it happens all the time. But officially, you're not allowed to be PLANNING to do that before you even arrive!

Could you not scan all or most of your paperwork and put them onto a pen drive, that way you will have copies of most of it, reducing any paperwork you may need to bring with you, plenty of places you can go to print it off whilst here

Bear in mind that you have to make a statement saying you're not intending to stay after the end of your WHV, so technically you're breaking the law. In practice I'd say you'll be OK, but if you were really unlucky and got stopped on the way in, they'd be immediately suspicious if you had all your paperwork with you.

Very true, I'm sure I've heard similar happening - although you might think it best to take them in case you needed ID for banks etc ;)

Archived