Car Seats when arriving??

I am just wondering how we would deal with car seats. Both our children need one still and we are not planning on taking ours over with us on the flight or in the container. If we arrive in Brisbane and rent a car, how do we get around this? Interested to hear what others did when they arrived.

Thanks

You can rent them with the car. However we staying in the city and so just got public transport to the apartment. DH went to get the hire car (from in the city) and drove to pick up car seats that we had already bought online/over the phone before we arrived.

I am just wondering how we would deal with car seats. Both our children need one still and we are not planning on taking ours over with us on the flight or in the container. If we arrive in Brisbane and rent a car, how do we get around this? Interested to hear what others did when they arrived.

Thanks

UK car seats are not classed as safe to use in Australia as car seats need to pass Australian safety standards.. :)

When we have been over in the past we have hired with the car company but there are also other agencies which lease them out - I think red cross..

• Before you buy the child restraint, check that it will be suitable in you car - this is particularly important if you have a small (two-door) or older vehicle.

• If you have any concerns, or need advice, contact Kidsafe or your local RTA.( I found this on kidspot this am.

Good luck when do you travel?

Hi all,

the comment on isofix is not strictly true, it was the case, but now there are seats sold in oz with isofix and no top tether, so those sold by the likes of britax may in fact be coded for use in oz and eurozone, so check first.

i found out about this with the kombi i have just imported expecting to have to swap the serviceable seat belts for oz standard ones, but it turns out these codes are often on the label of many new products.

Hi all,

the comment on isofix is not strictly true, it was the case, but now there are seats sold in oz with isofix and no top tether, so those sold by the likes of britax may in fact be coded for use in oz and eurozone, so check first.

i found out about this with the kombi i have just imported expecting to have to swap the serviceable seat belts for oz standard ones, but it turns out these codes are often on the label of many new products.

That information is not what we've been advised recently.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/308969/isofix-seats-legalised-for-australia/

In fact this website says this:

The changes, which were detailed more than a year ago, specify that ISOFIX seats will now be legal to use in vehicles in Australia. However, the use of foreign ISOFIX seats remains technically illegal due to a lack of an upper tether anchorage.

The Australian standard ISOFIX rules allow seats to use lower attachment connectors locked into ISOFIX low anchorages in motor vehicles that have them fitted. They will also be available in a similar system to the LATCH points in American cars, where the connectors are not hard-fixed to the seat itself.

The rules will effectively mean that while ISOFIX seats are now legal, only those sold in Australia will be compliant with the new rules, considering ISOFIX or LATCH seats in Europe or North America do not require and are not fitted with the top tether connector.

it would be interesting to get clarification from someone on this!

I took a tether off an old aussie seat and buckled it to our uk seat and used it for the next five years.

I now know this wasnt strictly correct, but never had any issues any time we were stopped for breath tests or the like..............

Archived