School Fees

Guest JackieM

Guest JackieM

Hi Everyone

I am due to move to the Melbourne area on a 457 visa - does anyone know if I will have to pay the international student school fees - I have 4 kids !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JackieM

Oh thank you sooo much for that info - was begining to have a major panic attack !!!

Hi Jackie

Just to back up previous advice I have recieved this email for Ed dept which confirms ;-

"Under a 457 Visa which is a Business Long Stay, your children can go to any government school and they are classed as Australian Citizens. You take the passports to the school and show them the 457 Visa."

Sue Joseph

International Student Recruitment

Hope this is helpful.

We Too are hoping to be in Melbourne end of August!!!

Guest JackieM

Hi Beverly

Thank you for the information, so sorry haven't replied sooner to you but my internet has been off - just when I need it the most !!!!

Will write again when have more time as I am in internet cafe at the moment.

Cheers again

Jackie

Guest sheena

hi ya, just a word of warning though, we are in qld on a 457 so school fees are free!! except i have had to pay $250 for the oldest to use the school books then uniform's then books to write in, pens, pencils, rulers etc,etc, then for the youngest again so far its been $167, plus uniform, and again, books to write in, pens etc, etc, and it all mounts up, so start saving a bit if you can!!!

sheena :smile:

Guest Kursha

I am going for an interview for a hospital in Western Australia but have suddenly started to panic about school fees. If I were to arrive in Australia on a 457 visa would I need to pay international school fees for my children? I have looked on the Western Australia Government website but it is unclear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laura G

Hi

Western Australia is free for School fees on a 457 visa. Currently only 3 states that you have to pay NSW, ACT & Tasmania

Laura

• 4 weeks later...
Guest itskaren
Hi Everyone

I am due to move to the Melbourne area on a 457 visa - does anyone know if I will have to pay the international student school fees - I have 4 kids !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi we moved to Melbourne on the 457 visa in Dec 07. We originally booked the kids in a local school and was told that the fees were about $300 per year per child. this payment was 'optional' however most people paid it. As it happens we moved to the Eastern side and found a fantastic private school for only $9k per child.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sarabjit

hello, we are coming to berwick in september and just wondering about the school your children are going to? what is it called and where is it. thanks . sarabjit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread!! Have just been reading one of my (many!) books on Moving To Oz, & it mentions in there about having to pay school fees (even at govt schools) if you are a non-Australian. Does this apply to 175 visa holders? We won't be 'Australian citizens' but we do have a permanent residents visa?? Thanks

Kath

You only pay school fees if you are IN NSW ACT or Tasmania.................I'm in NSW and pay $5500 per year per child plus Uniform, Excursions, Books, Stationary and Toiletries and Sports Activities.................Please DO NOT WORRY about fees if you are not moving to these states!

Archived