Bathurst

Gcpacs

Hello,

I was was wondering what people's thoughts are about Bathurst nsw?

My partner has been offered a job at the university. Its not an area that we are familiar with, we have travelled around oz previously but rural living is not something that we have ever considered.

My main concerns are if it is a gay friendly location & if there are sufficient employment opportunities for those not in the education sector?

Would be grateful for any thoughts on this

Are you living in Australia now? And if so have you travelled to many regional Australian towns? They are very different to a rural UK village. I stayed overnight in Bathurst a few months ago, just to break up a long drive. It is pretty unremarkable, obviously a long way from anywhere and I am not sure I could live there.

As far as country towns in Australia go I like Bathurst. You can take the Blue Mountains train into Sydney. Bathurst can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. I used to stay with a friend who lived on a property outside Bathurst and it snows there too. The road was closed a couple of times as the snow was so deep. Don't think it happens very often though.

Bathurst is gay friendly although you do have the hoons come out for the race (but its only for a weekend). Many people live in Bathurst and work in either Orange or Lithgow - both an hour or 30 minutes away...so if you do not get a job in Bathurst, there are two other large towns to get jobs.

• 4 weeks later...

Bathurst is a great little country town, and all depends on what you want from a place to live. If your a big shopper of brand clothes for example it will disappoint. There are many great cafes and bistros and if you like to drive then there are some lovely villages to visit. The central west well known for is great local produce and fine wines. If thats you then you will love it. Be prepared to drive lots though, you'll be in the car a good few hours to get to the Blue Mountains and Sydney, or surrounding villages. You can always try it and if its not for you move on... good luck

Well I love the central west of NSW we lived in Mudgee for a few years and it was just great. If you accept a job in Bathurst my suggestion would be to look at living in Orange and doing a 43 minuets drive. Winter is cold and yes it does snow sometimes but it is nothing like the snow you get in the UK, in fact you can wake to thick frost and by 10am the sun is out. Bathurst is OK but Orange is beautiful. You could spend many happy weekends touring around the Mudgee wine reagion. Gay friendly ? People are not really concerned about that these days, they just look at the sort of person you are so I would not worry about that.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrSbl9nZiZVlqUApKJLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=moz35&va=orange+nsw

http://www.bathurst.nsw.au/Home.aspx

Thanks for all the replys, all opinions really helpfull. Not feeling as worried as I was!! X

Thats good to hear. Its a shame more people dont consider some of our inland cities. So many threads on here with people moving to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Our inland cities have so much to offer. A more relaxed lifestyle, cheaper housing, great schools, and not that far if you want a weekend at the beach. If you do end up in Bathurst have a weekend in Armidale especially in Autumn another beautiful inland city.

Archived