Think I've cocked up!! Help!!

Flossylocket

Ok so I think I've cocked up!

Has anyone out there moved their furniture and belongings over when they don't have a full time visa??

My partner lives in Brisbane and I'm wanting to go live with him but I'm only on a year tourist visa at the moment while I'm waiting for my partner visa to come through. I've just been told by the guy at the shipping company's Brisbane office that I won't be able to bring my stuff as 'household goods' unless I have a full time visa and will be charged 5%duty and 10%GTS on the total value!! Wasn't told this by the London office! Don't know what to do now. Anyone else had a similar situation???

Ok so I think I've cocked up!

Has anyone out there moved their furniture and belongings over when they don't have a full time visa??

My partner lives in Brisbane and I'm wanting to go live with him but I'm only on a year tourist visa at the moment while I'm waiting for my partner visa to come through. I've just been told by the guy at the shipping company's Brisbane office that I won't be able to bring my stuff as 'household goods' unless I have a full time visa and will be charged 5%duty and 10%GTS on the total value!! Wasn't told this by the London office! Don't know what to do now. Anyone else had a similar situation???

To be honest, most people do not ship whilst on a tourist visa. Tourists do not generally bring their household goods on holiday with them and so there is no provision for them. So it is an unusual thing to do and indeed if you want to do it, then you pay extra as you have been advised. I am surprised yout were not told this up front however, I think you should have been. Are your things already in transit? If not, then the thing to do is delay shipping until you have a visa.

No I am but I'm also applying for a partner visa. I have no intention of working in Oz. I work in Malaysia so go back and forth to London Penang and Brisbane. Just wanted to move my stuff out as my partner has moved to a new flat and has zero furniture as his ex wife got it all.

No I am but I'm also applying for a partner visa. I have no intention of working in Oz. I work in Malaysia so go back and forth to London Penang and Brisbane. Just wanted to move my stuff out as my partner has moved to a new flat and has zero furniture as his ex wife got it all.

You do need to take care as PC makes a fair comment. This is not a legitimate use of a tourist visa, working or not, it certainly isn't something you want to be announcing.

Just to answer your original question though- yes I did this earlier this year. No questions asked- shipped to my daughter's address.

I was on a Visitor a Visa waiting on a Parent visa & flew on a one- way ticket.

Whether people consider it proper or not it worked out fine.

Oh and did you get charged duty and tax? Did you send it in your name or hers? I Was sending it to my partners address. Pickfords are wanting to charge me a cancelation fee even though they didn't inform me of the charges I found out on my own via the Pickford office in Brisbane. The guy I delt with in London had never heard of such charges. I've never done this before and I managed to find out. He does this for a living. Crazy!

I can't remember the questions now but presumably you mean what visa did I have to declare I was on?

I had to supply a copy of it to them & it was the 651 Visitor Visa.

just read back & realised you asked me something else sorry- no extra duty or anything- & in my own name. This was also Pickfords- excellent service :)

Oh wow! I will ring and ask Pickfords about this MaggieMay24.

I asked Pickfords in London to confirm what the guy in their Brisbane office told me and they agreed I'd be charged 5% duty and 10% GTS Freesia. So I postponed my shipment which is a real pain. Not sure weather to just go ahead with it now and risk it or do it in my boyfriends name. Don't want to get in trouble with my partner visa application! MaggieMay24 was your friend on a 186 visa? I'm on a tourist visitor 600 not sure if that would make a difference? Very confused now!

Archived