Web Hosting

GoldcoastMAD

Its time to start thinking about building a web site for my Wife's business, as we are migrating next year. she is already having requests for bookings in 2016 and 2017 here, so we hope that with her experience and portfolio she will start having enquiries over there.

I use TSO Host, here to host my wife's WordPress blog and they are superb for performance and support..but i previously suffered for years with other hosts ( poor performance and support).

Can you recommend a good Host (not Go-Daddy) , preferable an Australian host , at a decent price.

Its time to start thinking about building a web site for my Wife's business, as we are migrating next year. she is already having requests for bookings in 2016 and 2017 here, so we hope that with her experience and portfolio she will start having enquiries over there.

I use TSO Host, here to host my wife's WordPress blog and they are superb for performance and support

Why do you want to change hosts? There's no advantage to using an Australian hosting service - most Aussies use US ones. What really matters is having .au on the end of the domain name and most importantly, telling Google Webmaster Tools that the business services Australia.

My current favourite is ASmallOrange, but apparently they've recently been taken over so I am hoping the new owners won't ruin a great service.

Edited by Marisawright

Why do you want to change hosts? There's no advantage to using an Australian hosting service - most Aussies use US ones. What really matters is having .au on the end of the domain name and most importantly, telling Google that the business services Australia.

Not true, if I'm targeting gold coast customers then it would make sense to at least have my Host in Oz rather than the Uk. The latency would be dreadful!

and Go daddy latency is dreadful and well known, best thing i ever did was switch to a local host..hence the reason why i want a local host again

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

Not true, if I'm targeting gold coast customers them it would make sense to at least have my Host in Oz rather than the Uk. The latency would be dreadful!

and Go daddy latency is dreadful and well known, best thing i ever did was switch to a local host..hence the reason why i want a local host again

I would NEVER recommend GoDaddy regardless of where anyone was based! They are dreadful.

Many factors influence site speed (which is what you need to worry about) and latency due to geographical location is only one of them - and much less of an issue for a business which is merely advertising its services (as opposed to a site where users are performing functions).

http://blog.iweb.com/en/2014/02/understanding-analyzing-reducing-latency/13176.html

If you want an Australian host be sure to research them carefully, because many Australian hosting companies in fact have their servers in the US and Asia.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/65599

Edited by Marisawright

I would NEVER recommend GoDaddy regardless of where anyone was based! They are dreadful.

Many factors influence site speed (which is what you need to worry about) and latency due to geographical location is only one of them - and much less of an issue for a business which is merely advertising its services (as opposed to a site where users are performing functions).

http://blog.iweb.com/en/2014/02/understanding-analyzing-reducing-latency/13176.html

If you want an Australian host be sure to research them carefully, because many Australian hosting companies in fact have their servers in the US and Asia.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/65599

Completely agree...so can anyone recommend an actual East Coast ( Brisbane\ Gold Coast ) host?. My wife is a Photographer, and the blog will have thousands of Pictures..hence the need for low latency host. We had the website on Godaddy for years, the Website was slow loading( 20-30 secs) and pictures slow to load...go daddy blamed our website. as soon as i moved to TSOHost all issues went away.

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

The forum I've linked to is the main Australian forum for discussions on web hosting, there are lots of knowledgeable webmasters on there so I'd recommend asking your question there.

GoDaddy is slow loading for everything IMO. That doesn't mean every US host has the same problem.

Edited by Marisawright

I've been using AWS recently, very good. They have locations throughout the world, Sydney included.

All depends how technical you are though. You could setup an EC2 instance and setup your own webserver for starters, if you know what you're doing.

If you're looking for a place where you can just upload some static files via FTP/SFTP and the site "just works", then it may not be for you.