How long is the Visa valid for?

cazhoney

Hello all!

I have received the 175 Visa in 2011. I live in Brazil, and in 2012 I went to Australia for 1 month just to validate the visa.

The Visa is valid for 5 years...what does this mean?

If I move today to Australia....how long can I stay there? Do I have to ask for the visa to be renovated when it expires?

Thank you...

Carolina

It means you have till 2016 to move to australia. according to your sig you got the visa on 03/06/11. So you could enter australia on 01/06/16 if you really wanted to and would be fine.

The 5 years relates to the freedom to travel in and out of aussie freely. Think of it as a 5 year passport, for aussie alone. To renew this you would need to stay in australia for 2 years including your 1month, then you can renew for another 5 years. So lets say you go to australia today, and you must remain there, you could renew your PR for another 5 years on feb 2017.

Oh OK.So, if I move today to Australia, like you said, and the visa expires in Feb/2016, it´s OK to stay there, right?

After two years I have to validate it? or can I wait for 4 years to ask for citizenship?

It means you have till 2016 to move to australia. according to your sig you got the visa on 03/06/11. So you could enter australia on 01/06/16 if you really wanted to and would be fine.

The 5 years relates to the freedom to travel in and out of aussie freely. Think of it as a 5 year passport, for aussie alone. To renew this you would need to stay in australia for 2 years including your 1month, then you can renew for another 5 years. So lets say you go to australia today, and you must remain there, you could renew your PR for another 5 years on feb 2017.

You can come and go as much as you wish until the expiration date.

After that, you can still leave but depending on how long you have been in Australia will have ramifications of how (or if) you could get back in.

If you stay forever and never leave, you dont have to do anything.

If you stay for 4 years, you can get citizenship and enjoy all the delights other aussie citizens enjoy, including unrestricted entry.

If you stay over 2 years you can apply for a RRV, it will cost more than citizenship and will only be valid for 5 more years.

If you stay less than 2 years you can apply for a RRV, it will cost the same, but are you showing commitment to australia? It may be reduced from 5 years validity, or rejected completely........

If you move today you can stay there indefinately, the 5 year duration is your right to travel in or out of australia, but if you enter australia before the expiry date yes its fine, but you won't be able to leave(unless you prove certain requirements to the case officer) before renewing the 5 year portion so be warned. If you leave before renewing you lose pr status, and getting it back will be hard.

So yeah you could just stay in aussie for 4 years and get the citizenship

Keep in mind that "staying" in Australia means literally not leaving. If you move here on January 1, 2016, you can remain here indefinitely, but the right to re-enter Australia (e.g. after an overseas holiday) will still expire in June 2016. So once the re-entry rights expire (June 2016) you may wish to apply for a Return Resident Visa - this way if you have an urgent need to travel, you have a way to return. At that point, since you'd have lived here less than 2 years, you'd only get a 1-year RRV, so the re-entry rights would expire again so you'd need to get another one. After living here 2 years you'd then get a 5-year RRV, which would see you through to gaining citizenship if you choose to do that.

I'd always suggest having an active RRV until you gain citizenship, so you know you can freely come and go as much as you would like or need to do.

If you leave before renewing you lose pr status, and getting it back will be hard.

You don't lose your PR status, you simply lose the right to re-enter Australia. There have been people who've left without an RRV and have had to get one overseas urgently. I'd guess it's a stress and hassle to do this, so wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Now I think I understood....

The problem is that I am from Brazil. I want to move to Australia for good. But of course I would like to visit Brazil once every two years or so....

So I guess, in this situation, I would have to ask for a renovationyear, if I have to come to Brazil on holidays before completing 2 years in Australia. After completing 2 years, I can ask for a 5 year renovation....and after 4 years in Australia, I can ask for a citizenship. Correct?

If you are living in Australia and your initial visa right to re-enter Australia has expired but you have not reached the 2 year requirement for a 5 year RRV , there are 3 months and 1 year RRV which the requirements are a lot less. If you have a job in Australia and lease and show that you will be returning after your holiday you will be granted a RRV. RRV are a lot easier to obtain within Australia as you are living there.

Also you may be eligible for citizenship after 3 years living in Australia, as you can use the 12 moths out of Australia period at start of the 4 year residency requirements, and any holidays out of Australia will move the eligibility date by how many weeks you have been away as long as it is not more than 90 daŷs in the last year.

Sorry, I didn´t understan the part in red....

If you are living in Australia and your initial visa right to re-enter Australia has expired but you have not reached the 2 year requirement for a 5 year RRV , there are 3 months and 1 year RRV which the requirements are a lot less. If you have a job in Australia and lease and show that you will be returning after your holiday you will be granted a RRV. RRV are a lot easier to obtain within Australia as you are living there.

Also you may be eligible for citizenship after 3 years living in Australia, as you can use the 12 moths out of Australia period at start of the 4 year residency requirements, and any holidays out of Australia will move the eligibility date by how many weeks you have been away as long as it is not more than 90 daŷs in the last year.

Archived