Townsville

jac2011

Hi everyone,

I have read most the older threads on Townsville on here a few times over, however I wondered if anyone was keen to offer me a current reflection on the following:

Schools:

Good Public and Private schools

Ones to avoid at all costs

Suburbs:

Good Suburbs within a reasonable commute to The Townsville Hospital and the Uni

Suburbs to avoid

Also, for anyone living there currently how do you spend your family time?

Thanks!

When I visited my sister, family time was spent either down on the strand (lots of cafés and restaurant, the beach and the rock pool, and the kids little water park) also there were some other lovely swimming pools on the reeve of the river not far from where my sister lived, in both places there were BBq's galore to use free of charge. I loved it!

If I was moving there I would want to be as close to The Strand and the City as finances allow. There are some places around there with beautiful views. Go inland not very far and every suburb looks the same with not much going for them.

Townsville is a lovely place though. Laid back, gets a bit hot and sticky at times but cooler near the Ocean. There is always Magnetic Island to go to on a nice weekend.

Thanks everyone, I was getting a little concerned about some reports I had read however, since then I have also read lots of positive ones. I am looking towards the Idalia/Oonoonba/Fairfield waters area at the moment as it will be close to the centre, close enough to the strand and close to our work (uni/hospital). Looked at google streetmaps and the estates seem very open, green and family orientated. Just need to do some further research on the Ooonoonba school and perhaps private schools for Y7 upwards.

I am actually getting quite excited now.

Thanks everyone, I was getting a little concerned about some reports I had read however, since then I have also read lots of positive ones. I am looking towards the Idalia/Oonoonba/Fairfield waters area at the moment as it will be close to the centre, close enough to the strand and close to our work (uni/hospital). Looked at google streetmaps and the estates seem very open, green and family orientated. Just need to do some further research on the Ooonoonba school and perhaps private schools for Y7 upwards.

I am actually getting quite excited now.

Hi were moving to townsville this year we visited last year and fell in love with the place it's very family friendly too. My dad and some other family members live there too. My dad lives in Annandale but we have friends in idalia which is another good area. We are looking at them areas as the ooonoonba is one of the best schools in townsville so we would like to move there but we also liked the new bush land beach area as it was full of lovely parks and close to a beach too but it is further out but u do get more for ur money in that area for that reason but I'm not sure on schools or anything in that area. When are you thinking of moving there? Have you been to townsville before? The strand is lovely great for the kids and we also found a lovely outdoor pool by Douglas I think? With a park a lake and a pub a short walk away that's lovely aswel my oldest child loved that pool xx

My friend is a mental health nurse in Townsville hospital, he and his family moved over from Wales 5 years ago, they love it there, I have been 3 times over the years. They got married on Magnetic Island last year, it was really beautiful a lovely place to visit and only a short cheap ferry ride, they live in Kirwin, very near to the hospital. We have driven up to Cairns from Townsville only took around 4 hours.My youngest girl is currently living in a suburb called Idilia, she really likes it there. My husband was in Townsville from November to January, he had a job there as we initially thought that's where we would settle for a while, he just said something very important to consider when looking at suburbs is, are they on a flood area, I really liked Saunders beach and Pallaranda but if they flooded he wouldn't have been able to get to work, My friends youngest is now 18 so I can.t remember much about school situation, but she has worked with the education authority etc so if you let me know the ages of your children I can ask her which schools she would recommend as and why.

Thanks everyone, these posts are lovely.

We are moving out in September but have 4 weeks in the Sunshine coast first. We arrive in Townsville mid October. Hopefully I can start work around then. @emmajane051 when do you move? It would be lovely to get in touch.

@ceddy maybe I will meet a welshman upon arrival. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks everyone!

Julie

Hopefully September/ October we still need visa first so maybe a but optimistic but applying soon as skills test comes back either way really want it to be before December so hopefully can do that as we are going to stay in dads for a while yes would be lovely to I can't wait it's a fab place will try and help with anything I can for you xx

emma I am waiting for results from ANMAC skills assessment, I am hoping it will be in the next few weeks as I am now at the 9 week mark.

Then, we will submit visa hopefully before the 24th April invitation round and submit our application by the 30th April (payday)!

Despite, the short deadlines, we have flights booked for September!

Couldn't turn down the good deal on flights...

What stage are you up to?

Morning from afar.

I live in Townsville (originally from Brighton), and I absolutely love it!! I can't comment a great deal on schools, so I wont but suburbs I can help you out with.Hermit Park, Pimlico, South Townsville, West End, Railway Estate, North Ward, Belgian Gardens are all amazing, all very close to town, (within 2 - 10 min drive), all have low crime rates, are quiet and in a great location

Some suburbs that are not so nice but still lovely compared to an estate at home are Kirwin, Condon, Kelso, Rasmussen.

As the sun shines on a daily basis here the family activities are endless. Your day could be taken up just with lunch on the beach or in one of the family friendly restaurants down the strand. There are inflatable water parks, a water ski park, you can hire jet skis, learn to paddle board, kite surf, dive, charter boats for fishing, snorkelling. You are only 2 hours from the Great Barrier Reef. Don't even get me started on sports.

There are lots of local nature spots, national parks , creeks to swim in, beaches to visit (and not swim in), camping and fishing spots that are all within a 10 - 40 min drive all directions surrounding Townsville.

I hope this has helped and feel free to fire your questions my way.

All the best,

Gemma.

Moved here just short of 4 years ago. Originally lived in Annandale, lovely place but not a lot there. Moved to Kirwan, has good and bad areas as does every suburb. Cowboys stadium within walking distance and going on Monday to watch them hopefully win. Cinema and some nice restaurants just down the road. Used to spend a bit of time in town for nights out but just full of weekend warriors now.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them if I can.

Thanks Steve, I was initially cautious about a little unknown rural seaside town... However, the feedback I have received has been amazing.

I am still waiting for an official email of confirmation about the job before I can commit myself to anything (hopefully this week) and then I can really get excited. Townsville looks to have everything we are looking for in Australia. The only thing I wish it had was an international airport! My ex hubby will be visiting and will have to go round the houses to get to us.

G'day from a sunny Townsville Julie,

I'm Emma's dad, I have lived here in Townsville for 17 years and I love it. I have been all over Australia with my job and I still like it here compared to the big city's. It's all about outdoors, sports and family's here, we are the sunshine capital of Australia getting the most sunny days a year.

I live in Annandale and we like it, it's a popular suburb as it's close to most places of interest and close to the hospital, uni and Lavarack barracks for anyone who works in these places. Only a 15 min drive to the strand and 10 min to the Riverway pool which is a fresh water lagoon and pool, you can google it.

Idalia/Oonoonba/Fairfield waters are also popular suburbs. The Oonoonba school is a relatively newly built state school and a good one, our son goes to the Southern Cross school which is private, it is between Annandale and Fairfield Waters suburbs.

Julie I know a lot of pomes here and I don't think any of them want to move away anytime soon, I know a few people from Wales as wel ;). If you need any advice please feel free to ask and if you need anything if you do come here, I'm always happy to feed you a Bbq as well. Good luck to you and our Emm.

John

Hi John, thanks for your info.

It's almost as if I could have wrote that post myself in a few years time.

Those suburbs and schools are the exact same ones we are considering at the moment. We have been researching Annandale but the properties look that little bit older than Idalia, Oonoonba and Fairfield Waters and we are thinking that it would be better to be in the catchment for Oonoonba state school initially. This would mean that we would only have Southern Cross private fee's initially for one child.

We also will be working at the hospital and at the university so it's probably the best side of the city to live at.

Could I ask you another question that we have thought of recently. I do not drive at present, though once settled will be taking my test. I have heard the public transport it poor. Would you have any idea how easy/hard it would be to use public transport to the hospital between the hours of say 6am and 11pm? Also, how long it would take to cycle the same route?

It's lovely to hear you say such positive things, it's almost as if we have found a city built purely for all our wants and desires. It sounds perfect.

Have you found it easy or hard to find friends? We will need to build a good social circle when we are there for support and companionship.

Hi Julie,

I wouldn't have a clue on the bus service here as I have never used it. I know you can look up the timetable and routes for Sun bus from the suburbs you have mentioned, it would only be a short ride to hospital and I would think very easy to use.

Every morning I go to work there is a lot of people cycling, from my house in Annandale it takes me 10 minuets to cycle to the barracks and I'm down the far end by the hospital. There is a walkway along the Ross river that runs through the suburbs as well and that goes by the hospital and University, you'll find people and kids ride to work and school along that. It would be around 20 min from Fairfield Waters to the hospital depending on how fast you peddle :) it's really nice to walk, run or ride along. It's not like England you have nice weather 10 months of the year to cycle as well :)

If I have to say anything bad about Townsville is the heat, during the period from late November to march it gets really hot and humid and I still struggle at times but you learn to live in it through air con, pool, down the beach and public pools. If you can put up with a few months of hot weather you then get 9 months of the best sunny weather. Townsville has it's good points and bad for different people but I suppose it's what you make of it as well.

I didn't catch how many children you have or their age, I coach football (soccer here) and my 13 year old son played, we have made many friends over the years through that. Once I started work I started to meet lots of people and began to get invited to bbq's, I then made a good circle of friends from soccer and work.

I hope this answers some of your questions Julie.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks Steve, I was initially cautious about a little unknown rural seaside town... However, the feedback I have received has been amazing.

I am still waiting for an official email of confirmation about the job before I can commit myself to anything (hopefully this week) and then I can really get excited. Townsville looks to have everything we are looking for in Australia. The only thing I wish it had was an international airport! My ex hubby will be visiting and will have to go round the houses to get to us.

You could drive up to Cairns and meet him. I know 4 hours sounds a lot but when you live here it's nothing. Although tbh he could fly in to Brissy then up to Townsville.

We are also moving down to Townsville to be close to the hospital as my next op is at the end of the month and I'm going to be down for 6 weeks now. We have just been there for 5 weeks staying on Riverway and it was lovely but we are use to Cairns. We found it a lot less humid and cooler.

My son lives in Douglas and they walk to uni which is next to the hospital so that may be a good place to look at.

We lived in Townsville for 2 years and it is absolutely beautiful there! We lived in Annandale which is a good suburb as is Idalia and Fairfield Waters. I also really liked Douglas. Our son went to Oonoonba primary school and I can't fault it, it's a great school.

Thanks everyone!

PomQueen I did not know you were moving. I hope everything goes well whilst you are there and once I arrive if you want 'anything' at all just let me know. I wouldn't be moving anywhere if it wasn't for this forum!

We are actually looking at Douglas too but we would like to check out schooling options there. If we like some of the private schools elsewhere in Townsville then it is a little silly to be living close to our work whilst driving away from work to drop the children off.

At the moment I think Fairfield Waters/Idalia area is coming out tops and Oonoonaba school for Primary/Southern Cross for high school.

But, I suppose it will all depend on housing options whilst we are renting.

Archived