Registering with APHRA - Previously registered with WA Nursing Board - returning to OZ -

ClanMcCavana

If you let your registration lapse with the nursing board you'll need to reapply to AHPRA. Your citizenship won't make a difference. If you trained in the UK - you need to be degree trained.

Seeking advice on registering as a nurse with APHRA - Previously registered with WA Nursing Board - returning to OZ this year.

I'm an Australian Citizen but was born in the UK

Any advice?

Anyone registered when AHPRA was launched was transferred across, but if you let your membership lapse you'll have to start again hope you qualifieed in Australia, that'll make your life much easier!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm diploma trained in the UK but I was registered in Western Australia.

So with that in mind....

1. Am I starting afresh in the APHRA process?

2. Is it not the case that I am merely a lapsed registrant?

3. Are any of you speaking from the same personal experience as me?

4. I have a post-reg BSC in Health Studies and Independent & Supplementary Nurse Prescribing at Masters Level. I'm hoping APHRA don't mess me around......

Ive emailed APHRA for advice but I hear that they are notoriously slow....

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm diploma trained in the UK but I was registered in Western Australia.

So with that in mind....

1. Am I starting afresh in the APHRA process?

2. Is it not the case that I am merely a lapsed registrant?

3. Are any of you speaking from the same personal experience as me?

4. I have a post-reg BSC in Health Studies and Independent & Supplementary Nurse Prescribing at Masters Level. I'm hoping APHRA don't mess me around......

Ive emailed APHRA for advice but I hear that they are notoriously slow....

Did they transfer you to AHPRA at all or were you already lapsed beforehand? I did have a quick look for lapsed registration but couldn't find anything beyond info for people a few days late paying.

I really really hope that you can get in as lapsed or something like that as anyone with a UK diploma (as opposed to degree) trying to register from scratch now is being refused. However I have a nasty feeling that as you are UK qualified they may make you start again :(

Just so you know - my background is that my husband was Qld registered and was transferred to AHPRA from Qld even though he was back in the UK at the time because we kept up his registration knowing he would be returning. As he is diploma trained I am eternally grateful we did it cos he has been able to come back to Australia and start nursing again. So I have followed the changes a bit.

Oh, and 'slow' is one of the more polite words I would use for them.....

Seeking advice on registering as a nurse with APHRA - Previously registered with WA Nursing Board - returning to OZ this year.

I'm an Australian Citizen but was born in the UK

Any advice?

Hi ClanMcCavana,

I found this on AHPRA website - look under section 23

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/FAQ/Internationally-qualified-nurses-and-midwives-applicants/FAQ-IQNM-general.aspx

I was registered with AHPRA and let my registration lapse when I returned to the UK, I wish I hadn't. However I phoned AHPRA, they told me to fill in form AGEN40 which I have sent off now. Got everything crossed that it will be ok. I'm Diploma trained. I would phone them to see if this is the same for you as I'm not sure about the older system they had.

Hope this helps.

Sara

Thanks for the detailed reply Nemesis.

I'm going to go down the route of applying under 'lapsed'.

I'll have to hope for the best...it all seems a bit silly really.

It's not really silly, I've allowed my UK registration to lapse and would expect to have to re-apply if I wanted to work in the UK and if I hadn't had the necessary hours working, i'd expect to have to do a back to nursing course too.

When I say silly, it's a polite way of saying it's appalling.

APHRA is widely criticised for its bizarre practices and delays.

The Federal Health Minister has set up a working party to supervise APHRA.

Nurses previously registered with State Nursing Boards and who have maintained practice/education requirements whilst working overseas are now lumped in with new applicants coming from outside Australia.

Appalling really.

When I say silly, it's a polite way of saying it's appalling.

APHRA is widely criticised for its bizarre practices and delays.

The Federal Health Minister has set up a working party to supervise APHRA.

Nurses previously registered with State Nursing Boards and who have maintained practice/education requirements whilst working overseas are now lumped in with new applicants coming from outside Australia.

Appalling really.

Bizarre is a good description for them, they seem totally illogical, especially with the issues of UK diploma qualified nurses, and the new secretive "criminal history check".

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would post an update...

So to recap I'm a UK diploma trained nurse with previous registration in Australia which lapsed in 2013.

I re-applied for my registration with AHPRA for which I got my letter of eligibility (via email) on Thursday :yes:

So it seems if you have been previously registered, as long as you meet the "standards" you can register as a diploma trained nurse.

What I had to do...

# Fill in form AGEN40

# Send certified copies of passport, driving licence, marriage certificate, previous registration certificate, statements of service from all previous employers, diploma certificate, transcript, NMC certificate of good standing (sent directly by them £34), signed & dated CV, ICHC reference page, application fee $150 and registration fee $150.

Timeline =

# 20th February - sent docs - received 2nd March

# 8th March - contacted by registration officer (x1 amendment on my form, x1 amendment on a statement of service and I missed the bit about ICHC oops!)

# 14th March - applied for ICHC - reference page received by email on 17th March - completed 7th April ($150 I think)

# 18th March - resent docs - received 26th March

# 1st April - emailed registration officer for update - informed waiting for ICHC

# 14th April - emailed registration officer again!!!

# 16th April - eligibility letter received!

I hope this helps. I have tried to make it as accurate as I can so you can get a rough idea. I did have to send further info for ICHC and it was Easter so it probably took a little longer than it should have, they said it would be approx 4-5 weeks, 8 weeks from the date of posting isn't too bad I guess even though I did have to chase them which I am glad I did as it seemed they hadn't assessed the docs I resent until I did.

Also it seems you have to present at the office much quicker than when you applied 1st time round as they have already offered me an extension as I am still in the UK.

Please feel free to ask if there's anything you want to know.

Sara :cool:

Congrats on your reggo :-)

Im pleased this thread is running because as lapsed ahpra. .I suppose we are a bit different to the international applicants requiring assessment.

Can I ask, do we still need to present in person to complete id checks even if an Australian passport/100 points id are provided/notarised.?

My ahpra just sent agen-40.

Thank you.

Yes, my registration officer has stipulated in my letter that I have to present with my ID, proof of address and job offer letter ( or some alternatives if you don't have a job offer letter).

They want me to present by 2nd June but have offered me an extension until 16th July so effectively I have 3 months from the date of the letter.

Good luck with yours. Are you in Oz at present?

Sara

Archived