Help Worried about potential bogus bank

Callie mum

Hi is it normal to have a activation code from a phone call for a new account, only basic details given to set it up, name dob and address, I'm worried as UK accounts have it through the post and not been asked for proof of id or address.

Thanks

Callie

Hi is it normal to have a activation code from a phone call for a new account, only basic details given to set it up, name dob and address, I'm worried as UK accounts have it through the post and not been asked for proof of id or address.

If you only gave name, DOB and address, how would they know your phone number?

Aus banks do use text messages quite often, e.g. for activation codes when transferring large sums.

Thanks

Callie

Sounds very dubious to me. Which bank was it?

When I get a call like that, I usually say I'd like to ring them back, please, to make sure they're kosher before I hand over any information. See if they give their phone number when you ask for it - if they won't, it's a scam.

Thanks

Callie

Sounds suspicious to me. To set up a bank account, the recipient is required to provide proof of identity and other documents. A name, dob and address, they're not enough. Moreover, it's not the bank who will call to give the activation code. Once the cards are mailed out, it comes with a sticker on them and an instruction to call a phone number to activate the card. The recipient needs to make the call from his home number. The explanation for that is only the legitimate card owner can call from their own home number. So that call you got, obviously, is not consistent with the right process.

I strongly recommend that you refer that call to the bank and have them investigate. It's also important to report the phone number to Callercenter.com. This could be a phone scam already widespread all over the country so it's best to keep others updated.

Archived