Heat Treatment for wooden ornament in the UK before shipping?

Flake

Does anyone know of a service provider that can 'heat treat' a wooden bowl prior to it being shipped to Aus?

Im hoping that if it were to have certification of treatment that quarantine would accept this.

Does anyone know of this or been in a similar situation?

Hi Flake, AQIS are only really interested in outdoor items for cleanliness and may select a random piece of furniture if your unlucky. I wouldn't worry about a bowl, it would be packed with like minded tems and simply referred to as ornaments or kitware on an inventory. There busy people, although it can't be ruled out, a check is highly unlikely.

That's unlucky Blossom everything was checked. My advice (industry insider having moved people to OZ for 15 years) is to ensure outdoor items are clean, consider natural untreated items are considered. Some fall into 'restricted' catorgory which they can be shipped but MAY be subject to fumigation/treatment and adhere to the 'prohibited' list at all times.

The mover should have literature on this to support there customer.

thanks everyone, I wouldn't be worried if every shipping surveyor hadn't pointed it out, they says we will need to declare it as it's a natural carved wooden bowl, trying to work out if it's worth the risk! I really love it but if it's going to cost heaps to have it treated by quarantine or before then I guess I would have to let it go. Xxx

Sorry for butting in,

But we have a lot of pine furniture beds, wardrobes, tables book cases. I know they all are packaged up together, but are they going to have to be treated?

Thanks for the advice.

If you've got a lot of wood, they're more likely to notice it. The reason they're concerned is that woodworm doesn't exist in Australia (termites are bad enough, thanks very much).

thanks everyone, I wouldn't be worried if every shipping surveyor hadn't pointed it out, they says we will need to declare it as it's a natural carved wooden bowl, trying to work out if it's worth the risk! I really love it but if it's going to cost heaps to have it treated by quarantine or before then I guess I would have to let it go. Xxx

If it's small enough, take it in your hand luggage and declare it when you arrive. The worst that can happen is they say it's not OK and they'll dispose of it for you, but on the other hand if it looks OK they'll probably let it through.

If it's small enough, take it in your hand luggage and declare it when you arrive. The worst that can happen is they say it's not OK and they'll dispose of it for you, but on the other hand if it looks OK they'll probably let it through.

Unfortunateky it's too big for luggage as the weight is too heavy. Arrrgh what to do! I wouldn't normally care but I REALLY love this bowl! #firstworldproblems!!!

If you love it that much take it with you. Chances are if AQUIS want it treating they would want to treat it themselves rather than trust it had been previously treated so you might as well just pay for it to be treated by them if they want it doing. They may not bother. We brought loads of wooden furniture and wooden items over but had no problems. They looked in a few of our boxes (it was obvious which had been opened) but not all of them. I can't remember what was in all of the boxes they looked at but one was the box of xmas decorations.

Sorry for butting in,

But we have a lot of pine furniture beds, wardrobes, tables book cases. I know they all are packaged up together, but are they going to have to be treated?

Thanks for the advice.

Furniture that you describe Cardmaker that is purchased through outlets...IKEA, John Lewis, and pretty much anywhere else, would have been treated at the time of manufacture. So no need to worry. However if you have any Cane, Wicker, Bamboo, Seagrass, Banana Leaf items in it's raw form, then be prepared for fumigation (and charges) if you a) ship it and b) if AQIS pull it. Otherwise turn your attention to ensuring things in contact with the outside that you plan to move are spotlessly clean.

Furniture that you describe Cardmaker that is purchased through outlets...IKEA, John Lewis, and pretty much anywhere else, would have been treated at the time of manufacture. So no need to worry. However if you have any Cane, Wicker, Bamboo, Seagrass, Banana Leaf items in it's raw form, then be prepared for fumigation (and charges) if you a) ship it and b) if AQIS pull it. Otherwise turn your attention to ensuring things in contact with the outside that you plan to move are spotlessly clean.

Thank you that has put my mind at rest. Off to clean the garden stuff and bikes and wheelchair!!!

Hi I have a similar question - I have a large antique indoor church bench I want to take with us. There are signs of woodworm, which I assume are old. Should I get it heat treated or fumigated to prove no woodworm? I'd hate for them to destroy it or for me to not be able to take it!! Remover said rent oil might fumigate but they only do it if there is existing woodworm. Anyone else had antique furniture dealt with?? Any advice? Many thanks. Move in about 6 weeks!!!

Archived