Benefit of becoming an OZ permanent resident

liliannn

Hello all . Thanks for all the members from this forum in assisting me to apply for the PR and I have finally granted PR yesterday , your advise and suggestions are all appreciated.

after becoming PR, I start to wonder what kind of benefit I am entitled to. Is it I need to apply Medicare on my own? Except it, What else to do?

Guest Pommy girl 21

What state are you going to?

Do you have children?

You'll be able to claim family tax benefit as PR if you have children

You won't be entitled to any government student loans - but you will be entitled to "only" paying domestic rates instead of international ones if you have PR.

i don't know of any free courses - very few of them around I would think and if they are it would be TAFE - but even that's expensive these days depending on the state I believe.

Thanks blossom, I would like to study, seems I heard there's some free courses too? Also, don't know if it is easy to study master degree here if I get a Bachelor degree from Hong Kong.

Masters by Research and PhD degrees are free under RTS(Check if the uni of interest grants RTS places to everyone or selectively). If you study full time and got good grades in your under graduation then you can also get a scholarship of around $20 to $25k a year which again depends on uni, course, grades etc.

Masters by Research and PhD degrees are free under RTS(Check if the uni of interest grants RTS places to everyone or selectively). If you study full time and got good grades in your under graduation then you can also get a scholarship of around $20 to $25k a year which again depends on uni, course, grades etc.

Thanks for the information, may I know actually what's the difference between masters by research & masters by coursework? Why are they free? Thank you

Thanks for the information, may I know actually what's the difference between masters by research & masters by coursework? Why are they free? Thank you

A research degree,normally, doesn't have any coursework so no exams. Just pure research. It's not exactly free. It is funded by RTS (Research Training Scheme) which is funded by the government.

Note of caution: A research degree is only useful if you are really interested in it and can actually secure a place. An MBA,for example, would normally be done through coursework rather than research so have to pay fees, where as a research degree in renewable energy would be free. You get the point.

https://education.gov.au/research-training-scheme

EDIT: There were a budget proposal to cut RTS funding which means universities can charge students to make up for the loss in funding.

A research degree,normally, doesn't have any coursework so no exams. Just pure research. It's not exactly free. It is funded by RTS (Research Training Scheme) which is funded by the government.

Note of caution: A research degree is only useful if you are really interested in it and can actually secure a place. An MBA,for example, would normally be done through coursework rather than research so have to pay fees, where as a research degree in renewable energy would be free. You get the point.

https://education.gov.au/research-training-scheme

EDIT: There were a budget proposal to cut RTS funding which means universities can charge students to make up for the loss in funding.

Very detailed explanation! Thanks =)

Two more question, do they still have IELTS requirement for enrolment after becoming PR?

do they accept Hong Kong bachelor's degree up to Australia standard so I can study master degree straight away?

Two more question, do they still have IELTS requirement for enrolment after becoming PR?

do they accept Hong Kong bachelor's degree up to Australia standard so I can study master degree straight away?

Really depends on the university but typically need to prove English proficiency. I can't comment on the suitability of your undergraduate degree for your preferred masters program, depends on lot of factors and the university of choice. Go8 uni's are typically a bit more stringent with their requirements where as Tier 2 and below may be bit more flexible.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much just talk to a few professors with similar research interests and see where it goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Australia

A word of wisdom: Don't do a degree just for the sake of it, especially research degrees. Factor in your opportunity costs and see if it'll really make a difference to your career. I noticed that Australian employers really don't care much about postgraduate qualifications unless the job requires it.

Most masters courses would require an IELTS score of at least 5.5, possibly up to 7.5, as a condition of entry.

You need to have good enough English skills to be able to study and to do the work, writing essays etc and possibly a dissertation.

Look at the websites of the universities where you're interested in studying - they will list entry requirements and/or have people you can contact to ask them about recognition of your bachelor's degree.

Archived